Help

Retired Teachers

Retiring Quietly

>

Stilynn

Retiring Quietly
Old 11-28-2021, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Did anyone here retire ďquietlyĒ as in waited til the end of the school year and just didnít sign your contract? If so, how did that go? Is that even a possibility? Iím thinking about retiring but donít want to field all the questions and attitudes when I donít even have all the facts myself. Please help. Thank you.

Stilynn is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Old 11-28-2021, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of my best friends did that. She didn't feel the admin needed to know until she turned in her contract unsigned. Several other teachers I know have done that, too. It didn't seem to bother the admin at all.
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

retiring quietly
Old 11-28-2021, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would have liked to do that but for several reasons did not. One big reason was not being required to attend staff meetings dealing with the next year's business nor did I need to be observed- a big load off that year. Lots of time not wasted!

I also spent the year weeding and cleaning out my classroom. I gave away a lot of stuff to my grateful students. It was fun and rewarding for me.

One more reason is our HR person was super helpful to me navigating our pension/bonus system during my last month of school. I had a couple meetings with her to sign paperwork, etc. I personally would not have wanted to return after the school year was over to do that.

When I was done, I was done and didn't return for anything.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-28-2021, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I suppose it depends when your contract needs to be signed. Here it is mid April, two full months before school ends.

I also am eligible for my district's early retirement stipend ( I will get it for 7 years). We need to sign paperwork for that by Dec 1st. I turned mine in August 30th, haha
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stilynn

Re:Retiring Quietly
Old 11-28-2021, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for your response. I wasnít even thinking about admin. Lol I was trying to avoid other staff members knowing. Iím an introvert by nature and just want to slide quietly out at the end of the year. 😊

Stilynn

Old 11-28-2021, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I have been trying to give things away to my students like books, which is very satisfying to me. However, I also tried to get rid of some extra stuff by putting it into an art bin for them to use. Feels so good to get rid of stuff that way, but the students end up making something for me, and I get it right back. 😳🤣

Stilynn

Old 11-28-2021, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for your response.

Yes, contracts will come out about a month before school ends here.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. 😊 You sound so sure and so ready! 😊😊 Best wishes to you!

Risa

Retirement
Old 11-28-2021, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I understand why you wouldn't want to have to deal with the comments and questions, etc. I wonder if you could notify only your district administrators (or whoever needs to know so you can get your paperwork done correctly) but ask them not to notify your local school site people? Whatever you decide to do, I hope it all works out the way you'd like it to be! Congrats on taking that big step!
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-29-2021, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One of my colleagues did. We only have to give 2 weeks notice so she did--2 weeks before school started this year. We don't sign contracts here, they are auto renewed unless there's an issue. She notified HR first and they told our P before she had a chance--she felt badly about that.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 11-29-2021, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I pretty much shouted it from the rooftopsAlso in January we were offered a $2,000 incentive to let the district know our intent to retire.

WalkDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

I wanted toÖ
Old 12-23-2021, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

But then Iíd lose the incentive which was quite a bit of money. I also had to have paperwork for my pension completed.

Congratulations to you. Maybe you could ask the district not to announce it.
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-12-2022, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We had some people retire over the summer. Thatís about as quietly as it can happen. We have to apply for retirement a month ahead of time, and they notify the district at that time.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 01-13-2022, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Sure did. I think though a lot depends on your district and when contracts for the following year need to be signed. In my district we didnít sign our contracts until fall. I made the decision to retire in January 2017. I told my teaching partner then but nobody else. Let another close teaching friend know in April. And two others in May. I did not notify my principal until two weeks before the end of the school year and made sure my letter of retirement would not be presented to the school board until after school let out for the year. I just wanted to go out quietly with no fanfare. Everyone else found out when I posted that I had retired on Facebook. Do it your way Stilynn!
gradymidget is offline   Reply With Quote