Do mangas and graphic novels stunt reading skills? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Do mangas and graphic novels stunt reading skills?

>

newbergd

Do mangas and graphic novels stunt reading skills?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Graphic novels and mangas are growing in popularity especially among reluctant or struggling readers. Our library has even added a few. I have mixed feelings about them. Do they help grow or stunt reading skills/vocabulary ect...? Should I allow my struggling readers to read graphic novels or mangas or should I limit it to maybe one per quarter? I worry that they would not gain the fluency, vocabulary and depth of thought that goes on with regular novels.

What's your take on mangas and other graphic novels?

newbergd is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

reading graphic novels
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do not like them for myself, but I would not stop kids from reading them...in my view, the act of holding a book, reading it, comprehending it and enjoying it are enough. I just make sure that their reading "diet" is varied and this happens with many different types of texts throughout the day. I vote...let them read them.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No, I do not think they stunt readers. They are a genre and as in anything there are those that are high quality and those that are not. Many of my students read graphic novels and I have read a few too.

I think that the focus is to have kids reading books that are a good fit and if these are, then great! Like the PP said, I would like variety but reading is reading and I will take what I can get.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. Big

Graphic Novels
Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I grew up with comic books and read everyone I could get my hands on. They are great for reluctant readers and research is showing that they actually help with fluency. My philosophy has always been,"As long as they are reading, let them read."
Mr. Big is offline   Reply With Quote

tangolily

Anything to get them reading!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I pretty much agree with Mr. Big's philosophy.

If you are concerned about their fluency, you could consider assigning short passages from another resource to practice rereading for fluency and allow them to read graphic novels for their independent reading.

tangolily is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

It's never a waste of time
Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

for kids to read. Just because we don't like what they choose doesn't mean it's a bad choice. Personally, I think the Twilight series is nothing but junk, poorly written and just plain STUPID, but it really got a lot of my reluctant readers reading. This year, it's The Hunger Games. I found the first one pretty good, the second was merely okay, and I hear the third is pure garbage, so I won't read it. My kids are eating them up, though.

I just want them to READ--comic books, magazines, Mangas, graphics, Twilight, Hunger Games, even A Child Called It (gag!)--if it gets them reading, I'll not only let them read it, but I'll BUY the stupid thing for our classroom library--even two or three or four copies.

The act of reading, though, never hurts reading.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote