Help

The VENT

Clean your rooms people!

>

Mrs.C0428

Clean your rooms people!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

To everyone who moves rooms or who is retiring etc... please leave your rooms in respectable condition!

I moved into a new school and classroom this year. I got into my room for the first time yesterday.

What a disaster. Documents in the cupboards with confidential student information, old outdated documents, games not put away properly and in multiple places all over the classroom, school supplies EVERYWHERE. I found glue sticks in 4 different places in the classroom, including the book shelves! Also hundreds (no exaggeration) of pencils in bins/containers all over the classroom.

And the drawers? See the pic to see what was left behind. All brand new but in no discernable order. Pure laziness! I spent most of my day cleaning out cupboards and purging. It's not fair that I had to go and do this for somebody who was too dang lazy to do it themselves.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Mrs.C0428 is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

After getting my first classroom where EVERYTHING was taken (furniture, trash cans, textbooks, EVERYTHING including the chalkboard erasers) and I had to hunt down or buy everything myself all I can think when I see your picture is "Yippee! Supplies I don't have to buy!"

Sorry you feel like your day was wasted sifting through someone else's stuff.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.C0428

Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We're lucky here that we generally don't have to supply our classes with pencils and supplies. But, what do get is limited and this person has so obviously hoarded the stockroom. I fully plan on putting most of it BACK into the stockroom. I mean really, who needs 5 boxes of brass fasteners?
Mrs.C0428 is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Hmmm.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It was inconsiderate. I too have wasted my own time purging someone else's junk. I got into enough of a snit about it that I e-mailed the teacher and said, "Your items are still here. What day/time works best for you to come and collect them?" The teacher called me and said I could keep all of the things and that she didn't want them. I told her I that I appreciated her "generosity" but all of the items that were not school property needed to be removed since I have my own items that I planned on using. Her response was, "Well, if I can get my husband to come around with the truck I'll get them." In other words, she was never going to take ownership of her mess. She was angry that the custodial staff wouldn't clean up after her-- she expected them to sweep out all of the cupboards and box it up, but yet she never had any intention of picking up the boxes.

The drawer you showed is LOADED with jackpot items, though. Do you get to keep them?
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 08-19-2011, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Honestly? Every teaching assignment I've ever had, I had to do this type of cleaning and worse.

The first one was probably the worst. It was a Kindergarten position, and I cleaned multiple days getting broken toys, etc. out of the cupboards.

Well, actually, the next one was pretty bad, too, since it was a very old building and a lot of books and other items were in cupboards along a very damp wall with mold all over them.

I have no idea why people would do that. I know that when I left in May, my room was clean, the items I left were items the new teacher would absolutely have to have - all filed in an organized fashion. I'd had the opposite done to me enough times that I sure wasn't going to do that to someone else.

Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

bmcgee81

Same here
Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I ended up taking the place of one of my former teachers, he taught me 7th grade S.S. Well my first day in the classroom and what do I find...MY OLD PROGRESS REPORT!!! The man had kept all progress reports from when he taught, he had me 15 + years ago.
bmcgee81 is offline   Reply With Quote

MollyJ.

Yes, the teachers who do this...
Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

are being inconsiderate. However, where is admin? When I last switched schools 5 years ago, the room I came into had had 4 long term subs in a year and a half, and the teacher whose room it had been before had gone off on an unexpected sick leave before those subs came in. It was a disaster! I politely asked the admin when the room would be ready for me (there were 2 months before school began). He was really surprised, but when I pointed out that I was working hard to leave my old room in move-out condition, he...

a) got the current long-term sub to come back and actually complete the "end-of-year" checklist that all the teachers were supposed to do before leaving

b) called up the old teacher, and arranged for her to come and take her personal belongings - and insisted she go through them even though she wanted to "donate it to the next teacher" and

c) had the custodians spend a little extra time sprucing it up, mostly removing the hundreds of staple gun staples in the walls.

I still had to wade through the "art cupboard" which took be one planning time per week for 7 months (9 opened rolls of tinfoil, 3 sets of broken speakers, a globe, and the testing materials I needed in September at the back in a box marked "paint"). But, let me tell you, I worked really hard for that principal!
MollyJ. is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMissSEI

Common
Old 08-19-2011, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I feel like this is just part of the job now. It shouldn't be, but it seems like it's happening to more and more of us.

I've been in my classroom for 6 years, and I'm still cleaning out stuff the person before me left behind.
LilMissSEI is offline   Reply With Quote

FMT

Ditto that
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have been cleaning up from the teacher ahead of me for years. I got moved out of the room and I packed it up and took it with me. I have finally cleaned it out. It is sad. We do not want to throw things away but we must.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote

kindygirl

Old 08-19-2011, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

in defense of the teacher that left.....sometimes people leave stuff because they have no use for it any more,but they think it is still good (after all they have been using it for years) and they feel like the new teacher might be able to use it. i know it is a pain if you don't want the stuff.....but just be glad you got a room that has supplies. like another person said - my first classroom was picked clean and i had to beg, borrow and steal to get enough to start the year!

kindygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

chanrowl

Old 08-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would not have loved to clean out that room, but I would have LOVED to find that drawer!
chanrowl is offline   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Been There, Done That
Old 08-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I just moved into a room that was left so nasty that it looked as if the teacher never cleaned anything a day in her life. The computer had brown stuff on the keys (looked like chocolate), sticky stuff left in the cabinet under the sink, stuff left in the closets, etc. I left my room sparkling. Not FAIR!! At least you got some good supplies out of it
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

r9miles

Always
Old 08-19-2011, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have moved 4 times in 7 years and have ALWAYS moved into FILTH! I super clean my room when I leave it. I am always surprised because I have only once moved into a retired/displaced teacher's room. I have been cleaning my colleagues messes. This year I spoke with my colleague whose room I am getting and she informed me that in the 16 years she has been with the district the longest assignment she had lasted 4 years. She is fried with moving and doesn't clean when she comes in or when she leaves. I completely understood her. It is my families running joke that they are going to continue to move me until I have cleaned every classroom in the district. I am frustrated because right now that room is a disaster and I don't see how I am going to get in there before school starts because the building is still not open. We have PD all day the first and second day back and then open house the night of the second day. I love my district, my colleagues, and my job, but this part does stress me out A LOT! It will equal a lot of late nights and weekends in September.
r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote

mzkeya05

Preach!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've had to clean PLENTY of rooms. You would think the people would at least get the stuff out, but they believe that you might need it aka they can leave it A MESS!
mzkeya05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachinnj

Here Here!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I wholeheartedly agree with you!!! It is unfair. I have been there and done that too. It is very disheartening. I would never leave that mess for anyone. There is no excuse for that. I don't know what else to say except, UGH!
Teachinnj is offline   Reply With Quote

KitePilot

Happened to me
Old 08-19-2011, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

this year. I moved grade levels and rooms. When I left my old room at the end of the year I turned in any work order requests for things that needed fixing, I dusted things off, and left the room how I would like to come into the room I was going to. Well, the teacher that left that room did not! It desperately needs painting but it is too late for that now. How hard would it have been for her to do put in the work order? There were other messes, too. She is the type where it is all about her...selfish!
KitePilot is offline   Reply With Quote

crzytch

Even in a brand new building...
Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

OK, the messes that some people leave behind when they move are disgraceful and WAY lazy.

Just wanted to share a funny story. A few years back, I moved into a brand new building. Before unpacking, I went around dusting all the construction dust off of all the shelves.

Imagine my surprise when I opened a cupboard and found a used pair of men's underwear!!!!

Uh.... I don't even want to begin to figure out how those got there!
crzytch is offline   Reply With Quote

Getrgoing

Hoarders!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Come on folks. Don't some of you remember those days when as a teacher you begged for stuff? You collected and collected so you would have the right things when you needed them, just knowing that you would need them some day. Many teachers are hoarders because they have learned to be. I have barrettes in my drawer because a child last year couldn't keep the hair out of her eyes. I gave her the ones she used to take home at the end of the year. I'll probalby have other kids who will need them in the future; so I'll hang on to the rest of them. After all, I did buy them. A retiring teacher gave me some items. I had so many staples that I giggled to my husband, I will never have to purchase another box of staples - ever in my lifetime! Staplers? How many do you need? (I got ten.) And how about the tape dispensers? ( She had 8 of them.) Individual paper punches? (I threw 6 of them out.) Ah, but that retiring teacher was not the worst one. It took one retiring teacher two solid weeks of night cleaning and three weeks of day cleaning to go through all of the stuff she had "accumulated" over the many years. She had good stuff too, but took a lot of it home. (Never could figure out why.) Much (and I mean much) was left in her four classroom closets. The first year teacher threw most of it out. Then, I remember a teacher who when she finally left the building, four knives were discovered in her room - one with a six inch blade. Just last year a teacher retired and she had begun going through things a month before school got out. She gave things away with the statement, if you don't want it throw it away as it won't bother me. Her room was bare,of course the incoming seasoned teacher said she wanted nothing left in the room as she was moving all her classroom items into it- books and all. (She's moving back to her former grade level next year.) I got the retiring teacher's books and my library is awesome! Point is, we know teachers just collect everything and the lower the grades I think the worse it is. Don't be upset if you come into a room and have a mess. A lot of love went into collecting that mess an sometimes its hard to let go of all the memories you have when you got all that great stuff.
Getrgoing is offline   Reply With Quote

Karenssister

Getrgoing
Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

You said everything that needed to be said. Everything has a memory, and it is HARD to throw those memories out in the trash! I am sorry that teachers leave "messes" behind.
Karenssister is offline   Reply With Quote

Milyn

hoarder
Old 08-20-2011, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I admit it. I'm a hoarder. I also end up with other teacher's things because I always figure I can use them.

I would be THRILLED to have gotten the items in the original posters drawer. I would be willing to go through all of the things the teacher left if I could find what the original poster found in the things left behind.

To me that drawer is a treasure. Just think of all the money I could save because I had supplies.
Milyn is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Agree
Old 08-20-2011, 10:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I have moved into 5 classrooms in my 8 years and packed up my classroom 5 times. Each time I leave my classroom, with the exception of this last one, I leave it empty. I did leave the teacher who took my room a couple years ago two book cases as I wasn't sure they would survive a move (Which I regret, but long story). I take off all fabric/paper from the walls and remove 99% of staples from the wall/floor. I empty the cabinets. I pile curriculum neatly to be removed if I don't know what is going to be in the classroom. This is what is required of us on our end of the year check off list.

All this and in return I get...

Room #1-don't remember too much besides there was a lot of 1st grade stuff and I was doing 3rd

Room #2-Almost perfect. Really good condition (could be there were very few cabinets to stick things in also)

Room #3-Jam Packed everywhere. Curriculum from all grade levels (maybe she was using for differentiation), nothing neat, Christmas cards and test results for students. Books from curriculum that hadn't been used in 3 years. I donated a lot of stuff.

Room #4-Again lots of stuff left-old curriculum etc. Lots of books on CD/Clipboards with previous teacher's name. Even found stuff from the teacher who was there before her! I told the teacher twice and she was surprised that she left stuff but never offered to take it. I kept some stuff and donated the rest.

Room #5-Former art room. Paint everywhere, lots of paper and staples everywhere. Lots of art supplies. I kept some stuff and the custodian put some stuff on a table outside my room.

So over moving and leaving things neatly.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

Davies1030

MollyJ
Old 08-22-2011, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I still had to wade through the "art cupboard" which took be one planning time per week for 7 months (9 opened rolls of tinfoil, 3 sets of broken speakers, a globe, and the testing materials I needed in September at the back in a box marked "paint").

I laughed out loud at this part, especially the "paint" testing materials!! I'm sure at the time it wasn't funny, but I hope it is now!
Davies1030 is offline   Reply With Quote

iheart

hmmph
Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Our admin told us to clean out! I got a new classroom.......I am still waiting for the other teacher to move her "junk" - literally out!!!! While the one I moved out is basically spotless!!!!!!!!!
iheart is offline   Reply With Quote