Help

Second Grade

Kids who excell and what to do

>

Getrgoing

Kids who excell and what to do
Old 10-18-2011, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Kids in first grade did accelerated math which was second grade material. Second Grade parent/teacher conference time rolls around and parents ask, "When are you going to do accelerated math? The current math lessons are just too easy." Our teachers have discussed this. Bubbling in on the scan sheet for students, checking the scan, and showing student's the errors is very time consuming. So what to do? Buying material to teacher higher level math than the grade level they are in costs money. When teachers do buy materials, they don't really want to share as they paid for it out of their own pocket. I understand this, but am frustrated with how to provide these children with what they really need. I have thought about individual folders with sheets in them and centers. Lots of extra work for me - ugh. Any ideas most appreciated?

Getrgoing is offline   Reply With Quote

lovemyboy

Old 10-18-2011, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

what about guided math. I have 4 groups high, medium high, medium, and low. each group gets differentiated work for each section in math, but the kids aren't bored. i also have open ended centers. The simplest ones are tuperware containers with dice in them. The kids you are "advanced can add, subtract, and some of them are starting to multiply. the lowest kiddos are doing basic facts. I have tubs with 2, 3, 4, 5 dice in them. The kids know that they don't take them out of the tubs so the dice won't get lost. HTH
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

math
Old 10-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The question is do you think the math is too easy for them? Most math series have an enrichment piece. You could use that. Or you could have them create math projects/games.

In our district, we are told to teach deeper, not necessarily higher. Make sure they have truly mastered each concept before moving on. Also - do the parent really know what you are teaching? Most of mine have trouble with second grade math!
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 10-26-2011, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ugh! I HATE when the previous year's teacher teaches MY grade level curriculum! Are your kids really doing well in independent work? How are their problem solving abilities? Most kids can compute just fine, but throw a story problem at them, and they don't do as well. I like what the previous posters suggested about teaching enrichment materials from your curriculum, or teaching deeper, not higher.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote