Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT World,

Does anyone have any ideas for Math Centers? We are using Common Core. Thanks

Rah2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

ellenkaymi

Math Workstations
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Debbie Diller's "Math Workstations" books has tons of ideas! Here are some ideas too: http://primaryclassroomsareoceansoff...ided-math.html. Hope that helps!

Last edited by ellenkaymi; 12-14-2011 at 05:59 PM..
ellenkaymi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rah2010

Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you!
Rah2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

cre8tive_tchr

here's a good site I've used
Old 12-16-2011, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

http://www.k-5mathteachingresources....ctivities.html
cre8tive_tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Getrgoing

Math Centers
Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Seems Common Core is what is going to drive the Nation in Reading and Math. I do Math Workshop. Mini Lesson, must do for everyone, three Centers (Math Facts practice, At your seat Pocket Folder Activity/Center, Teacher's Choice, Hands-on: MATH). Twenty-four kids, three groups, rotation on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with Tuesday and Thursday for "other" math activities. Got the basic idea from the net. During Teacher's Choice I can pull students individually or in groups from any of the areas - usually Math Facts or Hands-on. Don't know what you are using right now in the way of a math text. If you've been teaching for a while you already probably know the scope and sequence routine. Just get to know the CC Standards really well and you will be fine.

The activities I've used are from a booklet I bought. I do not laminate envelopes - too expensive. I use pocket folders with instructions laminated and on the left side. The activities are on the right side. These are NOT to teach, but to reinforce concepts already taught. I try to use color as much as possible, make things hands-on, and let the kids color what they have completed. Check the net for free center ideas - there are lots out there. Debbie Diller is okay, but too much time and work for cutsy things that are good, but I don't have that much time or extra money. Put the ideas into the four areas of the CC. The way I have mine set up will permit me to go for nine weeks before I need to change the Pocket Folder Activity/Center.

Use what you have already - counters, play money, unifix cubes, base tens blocks, clocks, calculators, cards, dice, pattern blocks, mirrors, tile, etc. I use snack bags a lot and library pockets. The pockets can be bought from educational supply places and are fairly inexpensive and come in huge batches. For many activites I have a genric one size fits all recordng sheet. I do require that sheet to be turned in to me. If anyone abuses the center time, they go and do seatwork. Not much fun then.

I think you will find the CC to be good for our teaching, after all we have been teaching what they came up with all along.

Getrgoing is offline   Reply With Quote

blbteach

getrgoing...
Old 12-17-2011, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Can you post a copy of your recording sheet?
blbteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Getrgoing

Math Center Recording Sheet
Old 12-17-2011, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What it consists of is a sheet with the place for their name and the date, a line for the name for the activity, and lines for them to record the info. The key is to have your instructions clearly stated on the laminated instructions page in that folder so they don't come to you and ask how to do the activity and how to record it.

Some activities do have a special sheet because it is just easier to have it in there ready to go.

Hope this helps. (Everything is at school.)
Getrgoing is offline   Reply With Quote