The Job Search

I have a demo lesson!! Advice or suggestions please

>

Emmaljacob

I have a demo lesson!! Advice or suggestions please
Old 08-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All!

I interviewed last week for a position, and they asked me to do a demo lesson this Monday! It is for a 4th grade pull out resource class.

The principal would like to see a comprehension strategy for 4-6 4th grade students. The lesson is only 20 minutes. I'm stuck on what to focus on...visualizing, questioning...help!

Suggestions or advice please! Thank you!!

Emmaljacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach_Again

Visualizing
Old 08-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since you only have 20 minutes, do not overthink. Make your lesson a simple one. I think a lesson on visualizing will be perfect. Take about 2-3 minutes to get to know the kids: name cards or name tags. Spend about 5-7 minutes on mini-lesson and spend the last 10 minutes for independent work. Pick a text that has lots of descriptive words that will help students make mental pictures. Also, create a child-friendly graphic organizer where students can draw, and write. Most importantly, think of differentiation!
Teach_Again is offline   Reply With Quote

lillegs

Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Will you have students? I've done 2 demos this summer and neither involved "real" students. One was for an evaluator and the second was for a teacher coach and superintendent. In both scenarios it was really helpful to pace the lesson like there was a real class, pausing for a short response time and also having follow up activities, sample centers I would use the next few weeks and assessments for the lesson.
lillegs is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 08-09-2014, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

lilegs asks a good question - is it the demo lesson for students or adults? I did a demo lesson thinking it was for students and then was very, very thrown off realizing it was for a huge panel of teachers and administrators.

A visualizing lesson would be fun. I think it would be nice to have an anchor chart pre-made to show that "good readers visualize what they read" and have tips on what to do before they read. Maybe have the class give some input on what visualizing means.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

Emmaljacob

Old 08-09-2014, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes I will have actual students. The principal said it would be 4-6 students in 4th grade. I am tossing around the idea of an inference lesson. There is even a cute video on Brain Pop for inference that about 4 minutes long. Should I not include the video since my lesson is only 20 minutes long?

Emmaljacob is offline   Reply With Quote

BettySpeller

Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good luck with your demo lesson!

I wouldn't include a video because way too many things can go wrong. Will there be something to show the video on? If you take your own laptop, will you be able to open it on their server? Yikes! Don't invite danger when you don't need to.
BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote

lillegs

Old 08-09-2014, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I wouldn't do a video. I would do a good anchor chart that would be built into the lesson.
lillegs is offline   Reply With Quote

sandycheeks

Old 08-11-2014, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Did you have the first interview on Thursday? It sounds like the same one I interviewed for.
sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

Brainpop
Old 08-11-2014, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi,
You have some great ideas to work with!! I use Brainpop ALL the time with my students and they love it. I use it with all grade levels, too. The videos are very engaging and short. Skip the quiz at the end though. Plus you are showing them that you know how to locate additional resources and incorporate technology. I say go for it!!!
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote