Help

BusyBoard

Dyslexia question & help needed please

>

oriel

Dyslexia question & help needed please
Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am worried about a student I will have next year in First Grade. He is really struggling with reading in Kindergarten and his mom is certain he has Dyslexia, but she can't get him tested yet because he is so young. So, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help this student learn to read? Any intervention ideas? It will be my summer project to come up with some different ways, but so far I am at a loss as to where to begin. I have never had a child with dyslexia before. Thanks so much!

oriel is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

In the same boat
Old 02-17-2015, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I may be in the same boat as you with two of my current first graders. What are the signs for Dyslexia? When do they usually test for it and how? I do not believe this is tested in the school setting. I have been doing everything I know how to do in order to move these two readers and nothing is working. I am beyond frustrated and just want to help them be successful before second grade. I am so afraid for them to move to the next grade level. If you find anything out, please share with me. The only strategy I have ever heard of with Dyslexic students is using colored overlays on top of what they are reading. I remember reading that these overlays help them read better. Sorry I cannot be of more help. Thanks!
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 02-17-2015, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use Dyslexia Games with all my students.
It's not cheap, but it goes on sale. I got a class license. 5 students can use it, then it's $10/student. My private school now adds $10 to the book fees.
dyslexiagames.com
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

The gift f dyslexia
Old 02-17-2015, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

By Ron Davis has a check list of sorts that can be used to see if a child has perception problems (like dyslexia). It also offers instructions on correction for dyslexia. My daughter has dyslexia, and has gone through the program written about in the book, and is now able to read on grade level. She still has dyslexia, but is able to control her perceptions to allow her to read on grade level. It took a lot of extra work on her part, but she does great now.

One thing I use with my students who might be dyslexic is clay the letters (strategy from the book) it seems to really help them!
kinderlake is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-17-2015, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There are several types of dyslexia, and it depends on where the deficits are. Does he struggle with the sounds (phonemic awareness types of things) or perception (orthographic types of issues) or... ? If you can get more information from his previous teacher about what he struggles with specifically, you can do some looking to see how best to intervene.

Quote:
I do not believe this is tested in the school setting.
The way IDEA (Sped law) is written, they look for "specific learning disabilities" of which dyslexia/reading disability can be one. They don't usually use the terminology around dyslexia. There are a variety of reading related assessments and processing/neurological assessments that can be used as part of a comprehensive assessment for reading disability.

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Overcoming dyslexia
Old 02-17-2015, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

by Sally Shaywitz is a great read. It is very readable and looks at how the brains of dyslexics and non dyslexics process print. My daughter is on the "dyslexic spectrum".
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote