The VENT

What else can you do with a MAT?

>

Fractured

What else can you do with a MAT?
Old 04-28-2019, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,
Not really a vent but this is the board with the most veteran teachers and job related postings. Some might know but I have an MAT in English. I have been subbing for almost three years, no long term jobs. I am again applying for jobs but the market has been bad here for three years and looks like it will be the same this summer. I am in several districts but they are too big for you to really get noticed on any type of level. I need 75 Pdus by next May, and I will not be able to get them or afford them, so now I’m not even sure a school will hire me because my license will expire before next year is up. I still have the option of private schools or moving out of state and getting an emergency license for that year, but that looks less appealing. I don’t have the time or resources to go back to school to get another credential as I would have to do another practicum. I could get a sped cert but my heart is not really in that work and I don’t want to cheat those kids to just get a job.

In short, is there really any other type of career I can get a decent job at with this type of degree? I read all of these posts about jobs and I always feel defeated. This was a career change for me so I am older than your typical grad student. I think I am in this limbo of not being right out of school and ready to be molded by a principal(which is what Ps seem to want, doesn’t sound good), but I don’t have the teaching experience of a vet either. I could move to Az or somewhere where they are desperate for teachers, but it honestly sounds like hell and the pay is crap. Any advice?

Last edited by Fractured; 04-28-2019 at 04:51 PM..
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-28-2019, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Your MAT is just like any other liberal arts degree. You can apply for entry level jobs in banking, insurance, retail management, and with some government agencies. I'm sure there are others. They are usually looking for people who have excellent communication skills (written and spoken) and those who also have the ability to work well with the public and other employees. They will want competence and confidence when it comes to technology. Most of these employers provide specific training for your job. You won't make a lot of money at first, but many of these jobs have room for advancement and higher pay.

I'm sorry you're unhappy with job prospects in teaching. I think in today's market, people often have to move for jobs. Do you have any skills from your previous work life that will help you?
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-28-2019, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So in other words it’s like having a BA aka a worthless degree? I read some people has transitioned into HR or work like that, but they usually had at least taught for a few years. I did tutoring and freelance writing mostly before I went to school. That work is erratic and you are usually underpaid as well. I specifically chose this profession because it matched up with my Ba and background and I assumed I would get a teaching job after a year or two. I never thought it would be this difficult or that the state of the teaching profession would decline so rapidly since I got out of school( as far as pay, amount of time put in). I’d move to a decent district, but there is really no point in moving to a state where they pay like 30k a year and there is no support for teachers like Az, Fl or Oklahoma. I mean, unless people are doing that? It seems like private and public schools want 3 years experience minimum and yet no one is willing to give me that chance. It’s not like I’ve been picky about where I have applied either( small towns, out of state, etc). I went to a job fair and a school in Ca expected me to fly down for a second interview, which was too ridiculous of a notion to even entertain.

Cassyree

Old 04-28-2019, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't agree with you that a BA is a worthless degree. Many people with liberal arts degree are supporting themselves very well. Life often doesn't just hand you a job. You have to make your opportunities where you find them.

Not every history major works for the National Archives. Some of them manage grocery stores and sell insurance. Someone with a passion for music often finds himself/herself working in an office on the 10th floor of Bank of America M-F and directing the church choir on Sunday. Most of them make decent money and enjoy their lives.

I live in one of those states that pays new teachers about $35000 so I don't think you'd be interested, but NC is growing and hires lots of teachers. There is no guarantee, however.

I'm sorry you're disappointed that you haven't found the teaching job you wanted.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-28-2019, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Please don’t lecture me on life and opportunities. I am not asking anyone to hand me a job.I think it’s worthless in that you spend so much money to get it and it doesn’t get you the kind of job security it used to get. That’s part of the reason I got the Masters. I’m not knocking anyone working in any of those jobs you mentioned. If I was ten years younger I’d be happy to apply to that, but I’m not.

Nc would be okay, but after reading about the horrors of right to work states, I don’t think it’s too feasible to move there. I’m on the west coast. I’m sure I sound bitter and everything, but it’s been a long 4 years.

Keltikmom

Degree
Old 04-28-2019, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a bachelors in English. Prior to teaching I held two long term admin assistant positions. In both cases I was hired because of my degree.

Donít sell yourself short. Apply to any and all businesses.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Old 04-28-2019, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm not sure what your skills are but textbook companies and educational companies are always hiring. It does require travel and you may have to move but you can look into it. You would be using your degree but still staying in education. I've been teaching for over 20 yrs now and I'm looking to get into corporate training, which uses the same skills as teaching. You might research that avenue as well.
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 04-28-2019, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Why don't make an appointment to talk to someone at an employment agency? They may have some ideas of what could work for you.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 04-29-2019, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If it would interest you, you could also apply to work at social services agencies that serve youth. When I got married, I moved to a rapidly growing area that had 50+ applicants for every job posting and 400 substitute teachers. I applied at a resource center for families and teens. Did not get that job, but was offered something else a few weeks later - they were trying to find someone to teach independent living life skills (applying for jobs, how to find an apartment, budgeting, etc) to teens in their program. I ended up doing that for a few years (left because we moved) and loved it. There is a lot of overlap in skills between teaching and social services programming.

If you are interested in relocating, Eastern WA is growing (my district has opened a new elementary school each of the last 3 years) and the pay is livable. It isn't super high, but cost of living is also low. We are in the middle of budget battles with the state over education funding, but it seems like most states are. And one of the big teacher demands was just agreed to in the budget proposals, so that's a good sign.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote