The VENT

Laptops in the classroom

>

SickAndTired2

SickAndTired2

Laptops in the classroom
Old 04-28-2019, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can someone tell me who came up with the great idea of giving students a laptop? Really? They have absolutely no sense of responsibility. They can't even bring or take care of a classroom borrowed pencil. My school gives them everything: pencils, papers, napkins, tissue, paper towels and now a laptop, internet and a help desk. Many of my students mishandle their laptops. They have attempted to break it in front of my eyes. I am not surprised at that. They take my pencils, break them and leave them on the floor. One box of those ticonderoga pencil cost $25. I have several students who demand I give them tissue for their noses. Ever since when tissue is necessary to take place. Sick and tired of the excuse, we have a poor community. When I was poor, I took care of my belongings and whatever was given to me. I always return things in better shape. This was a rule/pride.
Then, I have the rest of the class doing everything else but the assignment which doesn't required a laptop. They have replaced cell phones with laptops. Students will not turn off their laptops. Students will get on sites not approve by the teacher. They are constantly getting out of their seat to charge their laptops because they played all night with it.

I hate this burden they have place on me and teachers in general. This is a self inflicted wound. If they can't take of their own pencils what gave them the genius idea they would for yet another free thing.
Sick and tired of administration and the big honchos! I am so done with education. I am rather be poor.

DeeDee3073

Old 04-28-2019, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow! Currently, I'm teaching at school where students bring their own macbook. However, I've worked at schools where laptops were issued. But, honestly if they aren't using them appropriately then don't let them use them. Sounds like some rules/expectations need to be put in place in the classrooms and by admin. But honestly at this point in the year, I would just take them away. Do you have access to Lanschool so you can see what the students are doing and x them out of programs? Does your school have a technology acceptable use policy? If the students are violating it, then write them up and take the device away. It sounds like the laptops were issued with little structures in place.

I've been teaching at schools with 1:1 devices for almost 15 yrs now so I'm used to them and know how to manage them. I would bring up the issues during a faculty meeting so they can be addressed. Laptops can be a wonderful gift in the classroom or a nuisance.
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

We need more
Old 04-29-2019, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wish we had more. We have about 150 third graders, 87 laptops and 5 desktops. We are now losing most of them to state testing just as a social studies project is going to be due for the state.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote
pipopatreap

pipopatreap

Old 04-29-2019, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
If the students are violating it, then write them up and take the device away.
Sounds like common sense right? Well, when your administration wants to lower the amount of referrals and suspensions and never assign real consequences. The students know they have the upper hand.

Is writing students up the weapon it used to be? Nope! I would have to be spat, punch, kicked, called a bitch for them to do something. And even then, your word is in question and let the investigation and questioning begin. How do you think this is going to end up?

tgbwc, I'm not anti-technology. I use technology but not every day. Guess what? They rather watch movies and play games than do one of those educational activities.

But, I am done with learning every educational programs, making activities, lesson plans that will never be used, studied.

In conclusion, there should be a department in the school that actually teaches technology to students as a regular class since it is so important in today's society. But demanding all teachers teach with technology is wrong. I don't demand all teachers incorporate my subject into their daily lesson. It is only fair.

Laptops is the tool that administration uses to keep them busy, entertain and not complaining. People don't understand why students have such a short attention span.

Nope! I refuse to engage in this laptop battle. I will NOT monitor laptop usage either. I will record their big all zero for participation. I shouldn't have to repeat mindlessly put your laptops away. They better have their filters on. It is all I have to say.

DeeDee3073

Old 04-29-2019, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Nevermind.

Last edited by DeeDee3073; 04-29-2019 at 08:31 PM..
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Not being done right
Old 04-29-2019, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district slowly got into being a 1-1 Chromebook district. Students begin keyboarding in first and second grades. In third grade, they begin using Chromebooks in the classroom. Nobody takes them home. Each year, they use them more. In sixth grade, they each have their own Chromebooks for which they pay $50 a year for three years and then they are theirs. In sixth grade they don't take them home, at least not for most of the year. Seventh through twelfth grade, they go back and forth between home and school. To be able to get on the Internet, students must sign in through the district page. There are lots of sites that are blocked, and more are added nearly daily. YouTube is only available through Google Classroom links from individual teachers, although some kids have learned to go around that and get to some other videos. Luckily, none that are totally inappropriate. They can listen to music on them, but only from sites that have no explicit lyrics. It took several years for the district to get to this point, but it is awesome! I wish I was still teaching full time, because subbing in these classrooms is amazing. Not perfect, though. Even today, a student was supposed to be reading along on his Chromebook and I noticed him clicking around. He admitted to being on Prodigy, which is a math game site. At least it was educational, right? Mostly, though, if done right, laptops/Chromebooks are an amazing resource for students.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 04-29-2019, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There is a middle school where I used to substitute at frequently that has an iPad 1 to 1 program. I quit subbing there because the students would use their iPads to video substitutes and upload to YouTube. Administration did nothing when this was reported to them.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote
SickAndTired2

SickAndTired2

Thanks subman
Old 04-30-2019, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

And THEN, there is that! I don't blame you one bit for leaving.

Surly

Pipopatreap
Old 04-30-2019, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Your experiences sound identical to mine. I really think that, in the back of school policymakers' minds, keeping kids distracted to minimize compalining and conflict is a real motive. Also, many districts want to keep up with the Joneses in terms of PR and could care less about practical implementation.

I'm not saying laptops and other 1:1 devices can't serve a lot of good purposes, but it seems like they bring with them a lot more problems that administrators simply don't want to acknowledge.

I've also seen many teachers recorded as Subman described. I'd like to think that I don't say or do anything overly controversial in class, but we're all just one out-of-context viral video away from losing our jobs for districts to appease the social media lynch mob.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sickandtired2

Sickandtired2

Surly
Old 04-30-2019, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Exactly. Everything has a place and a time. Making everyone deal and teach with technology is just wrong. They need a technology dept to teach it.