Help

Retired Teachers

Kuds

>

2000Aggie

Kids
Old 10-23-2019, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Now that I'm retired, I'm able to go to town and do some shopping during the day. I am shocked on how many kids I see in town in the middle of the week. Reminds me of all those absences I had to contact parents about. Now, I know where they were.

Last edited by 2000Aggie; 10-23-2019 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
2000Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 10-23-2019, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I notice that too. I see lots of elementary school aged kids at the grocery store with their mom just tagging along. I’m sure some are homeschoolers but I have never witnessed a discussion taking place about weights, price per lb, comparison shopping, ingredients in prepared foods, shopping for the ingredients for a menu they planned, etc. I just hope the kids aren’t playing hooky from school and if homeschooled getting what they need in their schooling.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Home schooling comment
Old 10-23-2019, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Met someone after I retired and moved to my new town. She home schools her children. I assumed she would use learning opportunities during the day's events as well to teach her children. She does not. She just does what the curriculum says to do and they are done for the day. I was so surprised. But I guess non educators do not think of education in the same way as we do. She does take her children to places for experiences but she does not really use the learning opportunities there to create a teachable moment.

I don't see many kids when I am out an about during the day. Guess not many people home school around here.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Same here
Old 10-23-2019, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I recently retired and that's one of the first things I noticed when school resumed in September. Homeschooling numbers are quite low in my area and they can't all be grocery shopping at the same moments I am. I'm assuming lots of parents must give their kids days off. Just another example of not respecting the importance of a child's education.
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Yes
Old 10-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I noticed more kids in stores during school hours. I like to think they just came from a doctor’s appointment.

Many years ago I had to check out DS for an orthodontist appointment. While I was signing him out another mom was there checking out her son. She confided in me that she was going to let him sleep. He had a basketball game later that day! She said that he had so many extracurricular activities! Now I know how he was able to keep up.

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I have seen that, too.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last year, we were on vacation in the Smokies in October. We saw quite a few kids. I was thinking they might have been home schooled or on a Fall Break, something we never had in my NJ district. Or, maybe not.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was just out for lunch last Friday with other retired friends and there was a family dining there, to. My first comment to my friends was (as it always is when I see kids during school hours) “Shouldn’t they be in school?”
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I am surprised
Old 10-23-2019, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't really see any kids unless I realize that the school is closed or had an early dismissal. Homeschooling is not popular here.

The one time I was shocked and now make sure that experience never happens again is my visit to Costco. I was there and as I checked out I realized it was the time the large regional high school dismissed students. Well, the Costco is across a side street from the school! Countless teenagers were swarming the food stand buying the cheap hot dogs, fries. sodas and the 25 cent bottles of water they offer. You need a card to buy from the warehouse side, but the food court is there for everyone.
Now, note to self. Never Costco at dismissal time!
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 10-23-2019, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I see lots of kids in the affluent area near my town. I see what the rest of you see. I really wondered about them when I first retired. Now, I just ignore it. Don't like it, but it doesn't occupy much of my thought process.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 10-25-2019, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our district has a LOT of professional days on Fridays. I’m wondering how they get all their required days in.

blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 10-25-2019, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I want to ask them why they aren't in school!
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote