Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

A little freaked out right now...

>

eagles23

A little freaked out right now...
Old 10-27-2019, 07:54 PM

I just got off the phone with my DIL. She had sent me a text and said she urgently needed to talk to me if I was still up. She was putting my 6 yr old DGD to bed tonight when my granddaughter began to share with her that her brain sometimes told her to do bad things. She went on to say that her brain had told her to hurt her younger brother and sister and herself and other destructive things. My DIL said she was very matter-of-fact and didn't cry or even seem all that upset, but was very detailed in her account of what all her brain had told her. This sweet girl has always had sensory issues and has seen an OT since she was three to help with that. They recently moved and she has had to start a new school, new church, new friends, etc. so she has had a lot of stress in her little life lately. I have a friend who is a therapist and we will reach out to her tomorrow to see how much of this is normal and how much we should actually be concerned about. If anyone has had a similar situation, I would love to know how you handled it. I didn't really know what to say to DIL because this is unchartered territory for me. Please pray for this sweet baby and her parents!

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-27-2019, 08:00 PM

She at least is sharing her thoughts with her mother as a sign that she is probably concerned with what she is thinking. This is good news . She is very lucky to have a parent who listens and a resourceful grandmother. I wish you all some clear answers very soon on this event.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Even though you're freaked out right now
Old 10-28-2019, 02:20 AM

stay calm. I think you are wise to reach out to your therapist, and I hope you can talk to her and get some idea of what is going on.

Let us know how it goes. ((hugs))
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 10-28-2019, 02:35 AM

No big advice to give beyond what you are already doing. I wonder if her seeing a therapist herself could be helpful to help her process all that, even if it's not something super serious. It's great that she was able to tell her mom!

((hugs)) and prayers for her, and for all of you!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-28-2019, 04:48 AM

Definitely reaching out to a therapist is a great idea. Hard to know whether she is really hearing voices, or has a very active imagination. Stay calm, stay positive. I would start her with someone to talk to now, even if it doesn't seem necessary in the light of day.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 10-28-2019, 05:04 AM

Sorry, I've no advice to share just wanted to send calming thoughts to you and DIL.
sbslab is online now   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 10-28-2019, 12:16 PM

I had a family member that felt that way. She went to her doctor. She was prescribed a medication. The doctor said she had been under so much stress that had she reached the point where she felt like she had no control over her life. The medication has helped.

Hopefully, your DIL will get help soon.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-28-2019, 04:32 PM

Its great that there is a therapist you can bounce this off of. I think a great place to start with your DGD would be visiting the pediatrician. That is where we started with DD when she was 11, cutting herself and showing all the signs of anorexia. Sometimes these things have physical causes. Thyroid issues are often responsible for things like this. Also, early sensory issues CAN be, but is certainly NOT always a sign of deeper problems.

Praying for all!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote