Help

The VENT

How do you spell...

>

MissAgnes

How do you spell...
Old 12-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This drives me nuts every time we do a writing assignment. I want them to get their ideas on paper. They are asking to spell words every 2 seconds. I tell them to use their best-guess spelling, that I'm not grading on spelling.
Stop worrying about the spelling!
If I want them to use correct spelling, I'll have them go back and revise. Just get it down on paper!

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 12-12-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes!! I’m still dealing with this as a sub, and it’s maddening. Some students completely freeze like a deer in headlights when I tell them to sound it out and spell it the best way they can. I think some are perfectionists and simply are unable to tolerate spelling errors in their writing.

The other end of the spectrum is the group that is blithely unaware of spelling rules and phonics, and gives you gems such as the ever popular “gril”. That one drives me insane.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I have a lot of ELL
Old 12-12-2019, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So I often get English words spelled with other language phonology. For example, Tongan. In Tongan, every syllable has exactly one vowel. The number of syllables is equal to the number of vowels in the word. And all syllables end in a vowel.
Try spelling "enthusiasm" like that!
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 12-12-2019, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is pet peeve for me so I break it pretty quickly. I tell them that I dont "give" them the answer to how to spell a word...ever. I help them figure it out with their strategies only (Our strategies are probably the same as everyone elses-sound it out with elkonin/syllable boxes, look it up in the text, look it up in a dictionary, and type it in and have spell check correct it). Those who struggle to catch a hint and use the strategies get a list contact papered to their desk.

When they ask me how to spell something now I simply sound it out for them (Opportunity sounds like op/por/tu/nit/ty let say it really slowly and you can sound it out) or I say, "Hmm... opportunity...it sound like it start with opp why dont you look it up in the dictionary under those letters". Most kids stop asking when they are sure that I wont tell them. There is always one who melts down over this but its worth it in the long run.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 12-15-2019, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I had older students I used to respond with D-I-C-T-I-O-N-A-R-Y. Many times they would start to write that and suddenly yell, "Hey!" I would then show them how to use the dictionary for some of the harder words.

hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

spelling
Old 12-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
When I had older students I used to respond with D-I-C-T-I-O-N-A-R-Y. Many times they would start to write that and suddenly yell, "Hey!" I would then show them how to use the dictionary for some of the harder words.
You are my hero!
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 12-16-2019, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I taught younger students, I told them to sound out any word they didn't know how to spell, and then underline it. When they finished writing, they could then look up the underlined words to find out how to spell them correctly.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote