Help

The VENT

I canít take these parent anymore

>

Kinderkr4zy

I canít take these parents anymore
Old 12-16-2019, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Lately I make jokes about quitting my job. The thing is though that only feel like I am half kidding. The problem is the parents! They are sucking he life out of me but they are still never happy.

I was warned that they are a difficult group of parents at the start of the year. One teacher with 20 years under her belt said that they are the most difficult she has ever had-this is NOT an exaggeration! I am so burnt out and frustrated by them, by the petty complaints, by the ridiculous demands, by their expectation that they can get everything their way. I am actually crying right now I am so frustrated. I donít want to deal with this crap anymore.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 12-16-2019 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: auto correct and posting from my phone are awful
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 12-16-2019, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry you are experiencing problems with these parents. Can you speak with last year's teachers to see if they have any suggestions? Its not easy dealing with parents that have no thought as to real expectations. Take it one day at a time and give yourself permission to not respond right away, to give hours you are available and hold to it.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Parents
Old 12-16-2019, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with delaying responses when possible. Then hold your ground. Speak honestly and frankly. Itís okay to tell parents you cannot meet their demands. Sometimes they donít realize theyíre being unreasonable till someone tells them.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 12-17-2019, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm so sorry you're dealing with such difficult parents this year! I have a few troublesome ones, and some people keep reminding me, "it's not you, it's them." You're not doing anything wrong just because they're unhappy.

Is your P supportive? I hope so. We're almost to Christmas break. Hang in there (and don't check your email over break if you can ).
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I am so sorry
Old 12-22-2019, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and have been there w/ demanding, unreasonable, and petty parents a long time ago. It happened to me both times I went to a new school.
I know it is really hard to deal with. Sometimes whatever you do, they are not happy. When this is the case, you have to try not to care and trudge through. Avoid as much contact as possible w/ them. Use short emails when needed and leave when the bell rings.
I think I must now look like my GAS button ( new saying from above post) is broken.
Some of these parents may need to have firm boundaries set by you. Others can be so crazy that there is not much you can do except wait for them to "move on." (If admin is scared of them which they usually are.)
1 year, I spotted a class like this coming my way.
Another teacher had been begging me and the P to switch grade levels w/ her for yrs. She tried him 1st and he told her only if I agreed to it.) I looked at that class list with those parents ( helicopter parents, 2 screaming irrational moms, 1 sped mom who screamed and threatened to sue if the school did not kiss her butt and give her everything she was "entitled" to have for her spoiled rotten kid and it took zero thought on my part. I traded grade levels w/ her finally. ( She was not the kindest person I ever knew. ) I dodged that bullet. I wish you the best! We are 1/2 way through the yr. You are on the downward slant now if that helps!

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote