Help

The VENT

There's just no effot.

>

MissAgnes

There's just no effot.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My students are consistently showing no effort in their work. It's maddening. Today, I put them on the softschools webpage because they have a long division activity that walks them through the process. I've taught the process, we've practiced, completed interactive notebook pages with the steps.
The activity has step by step directions as you do the problems.
The issue is that my kids aren't even trying to figure it out. They won't use their notebooks. They don't even try to figure out their multiplication facts. Even 33-30 stopped some of them in their tracks. They KNOW how to do this, they just refuse to do it. If the answer isn't immediately apparent, they won't even try.
I told my class that I KNOW they were taught their multiplication facts in 3rd grade. One student replied that the teacher taught them, but he didn't learn them. And whose fault was that? "The teacher"

I warned them that we are hitting multiplication facts HARD after the break, and there will be no more use of multiplication tables. They will have to learn their facts.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 12-16-2019, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The perfect gift, a pack of dollar store flash cards. Oh wait someone has to drill them never mind
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Maybe I'll print them.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can print out a set and send them home. Maybe they'll at least LOOK at them!
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Try this
Old 12-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One of the teachers where I sub was as fed up as you are with her students and their lack of effort. She’s been using these counting songs, and says it’s really helped. I think they’re annoying, but I’ve seen the kids singing along, and I’m not sure they realize they’re learning the times tables!

This teacher uses them during transition times throughout the day. BTW, she teaches 3rd.

The channel is called Have Fun Teaching, then you select “counting”.

https://youtu.be/3SwaOvWD-PY
mooba1 is online now   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 12-16-2019, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You might want to sign your kids up for Xtra Math.org. it's free. It drills them on facts. When they get done with one of the operations (may take a couple weeks for some), they get a certificate. If your school has "cat cash" or something you could reward them with that. Or a blow pop or something. I find that my fourth graders really like blow pops.

PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Students not caring...
Old 12-16-2019, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Years ago, most students, at least in the primary grades, truly cared about pleasing their teachers and doing the associated work. Now, today's student tends to be much different. Not everyone of course, but with all the talk of 'grit", I didn't see it when I retired two years ago.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 12-16-2019, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
One of the teachers where I sub was as fed up as you are with her students and their lack of effort. She’s been using these counting songs, and says it’s really helped. I think they’re annoying, but I’ve seen the kids singing along, and I’m not sure they realize they’re learning the times tables!

This teacher uses them during transition times throughout the day. BTW, she teaches 3rd.

The channel is called Have Fun Teaching, then you select “counting”.

https://youtu.be/3SwaOvWD-PY
I use the same ones. Every...Single...Day! I can get 80% to put in effort at this...if nothing else. 20% wont even do this.

I am seeing kids put forth less and less effort each year. I think this was why I loved my class so much last year-Nearly everyone put in effort nearly all the time. They had many issues but they tried and worked hard. That was all it took to call them my favorite class. That was all it took to get nearly everyone to proficient or advanced.

I think its because so many of their parents "save" them for anything challenging and most are allowed to quit whenever anything is hard.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ENLTeacher

OMG I could have written this!
Old 12-18-2019, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach 4th grade and have same exact issue! I would not say all of them put no effort but many do not! I know they began learning multiplication facts in the third grade so I always remind them of that. I do daily drills, pop up quizzes, I have multiple charts around the room, each kid has multiplication flashcards in their desk - yet they come in each day like it is their first day. Absolutely no effort. Every day is so much harder with them. It is like going deeper into the woods with no hope of getting out alive.
K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote