For those of you who work out regularly... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

For those of you who work out regularly...

>

PEPteach

For those of you who work out regularly...
Old 12-30-2019, 08:34 AM

Do you enjoy the actual time you spend working out?

I have begun working out regularly and I am enjoying the benefits. I can tell I am getting stronger and I'm feeling better mentally. Weight loss sadly has not happened yet!

However, I really don't enjoy that time I spent working out. It still feels like an uncomfortable sure most of the time. Just wondering if other people feel the same!

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

DH loves it
Old 12-30-2019, 08:45 AM

Some people find it relaxing, like DH does. When we were working out regularly, even losing weight, I still always felt it was a chore and something that had to be done. I have never enjoyed it. It's just something different in the way we're wired. From working in Sped, I've come to realize that what some people need sensory wise is the exact opposite of what others need. DH loves heavy input on his joints (lifting weights, running, deep tissue massage) while I find those things uncomfortable. Maybe find some other type of exercising that feels better for you, like dancing or swimming, where there isn't as much force put on your joints.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 12-30-2019, 09:02 AM

I think Momteschsis hit the nail on the head... I used to get up at 4:30am everyday and workout. I looked forward to it, but I look forward to the weight lifting. I hate the monotony of the treadmill. You need to find something that you will continue with. Once you get into a routine, things get easier.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 12-30-2019, 09:49 AM

Iím in agreement with others about how it affects people differently. Iím about to hit the treadmill because I know I have to do it to stay in shape, but itís an absolute chore for me. (Oh how I long for the metabolism I had at 20!) Routine and British crime dramas keep it bearable for me.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cyclones

Old 12-30-2019, 10:20 AM

I love my time on the treadmill! I read with my kindle while I walk and the time flies by. Thatís really saying something because I never enjoyed exercising before my weight loss journey.

cyclones is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 12-30-2019, 10:44 AM

Yes, I definitely can see that some exercise is better for me than others. Intense cardio brings on anxiety. Strength training is better for me, but really I need both. Hiking in beautiful places is relaxing, but doesn't happen very often!
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Exercise
Old 12-30-2019, 11:11 AM

I love working out. I take group fitness classes at the gym, and they are a lot of fun. I get bored easily, so I vary what I engage in. I do a mix of Zumba, Tabata, and strength training classes. I also lift weights on my own sometimes and take walks.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-30-2019, 11:44 AM

I really did enjoy my time working out. I had so much more energy. I liked the mindlessness of it.

However, I stopped due to an ankle injury. Then I gained weight. After that, it was uncomfortable and hard work . . . so I stopped.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-30-2019, 11:54 AM

How I feel after is what spurs me on. That deliciously tired but not sleepy feeling...love it.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-30-2019, 12:55 PM

What works for me is exercise classes or walking with friends. Partly because it's a set time. If I were exercising on my own, there's always later. I also enjoy the socializing part. Even though it's only a few minutes, before or after class, I enjoy the relationships that have developed. The other thing is that somehow I don't feel competent to set an exercise routine--like how many reps or for how long and is my form reasonable or am I likely to get hurt?

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

working out
Old 12-30-2019, 01:06 PM

Yes, I do enjoy doing the workout. Sure, there are some days when I'm not into it as others, but I always feel good at the end and that keeps me moving forward.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 12-30-2019, 01:25 PM

I enjoy the time working out every time. I enjoy strength training, weights, and aerobic workouts. I usually watch tv if I'm on the treadmill.

I think I would also like to try classes.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Most of the time...
Old 12-30-2019, 01:29 PM

I take group fitness classes at the gym and use the treadmill and elliptical machines there. I like the group fitness classes the best because I like the instructors and the other people in the class. I find I do better with the morning classes since I have retired, but still go to Monday night spin because I like the instructor and I started with her. I think some measure of discomfort is probably there because you are challenging yourself, so long as there is no actual pain.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-30-2019, 01:42 PM

I donít love exercise itself, but I love the effects of exercise. I love sleeping well, clothes that look okay, and satisfaction with my weight (mostlyóthis is an apparently unresolvable issue for me).

I exercise every day because it makes me feel better. I walk and I do strength training. Every day. I do like my walks a lot, but itís not the exercise I like, itís my neighborhood, the ocean, friendly people, audible books.... I will never like weights and stretches, but theyíre worth it for a body I like.

Sorry so long-windedóyou really got me thinking about your question.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 12-30-2019, 01:42 PM

most of the time i love working out, but not always.
PPCDTeacher is online now   Reply With Quote

ar719

Old 12-30-2019, 03:07 PM

I take classes as otherwise I probably wouldnít get around to it
I donít always enjoy the working out, but do enjoy the way I feel- both strength and stress reduction-wise. I have met some great ladies that always encourage me to come back.
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Working Out
Old 12-30-2019, 03:28 PM

Yes! I absolutely love it!. My workout is my time. I work out every morning before work and I love the physical benefits, but I also love feeling like a bad a ## when I'm lifting heavy weights.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

No.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:50 PM

But I like how I feel after and the physical and mental results.
Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-30-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
From working in Sped, I've come to realize that what some people need sensory wise is the exact opposite of what others need. DH loves heavy input on his joints (lifting weights, running, deep tissue massage) while I find those things uncomfortable.
I've never thought of it this way, but that totally makes sense!

I don't think I'll ever be someone who thinks working out is "fun." I also don't really need "me time" as I live alone, so all of my time is mine . I need to get back into working out , but there have been many times in my life where I exercised very regularly.

Some days felt better than others, but I wouldn't say I enjoyed the actual work out most of the time. I felt good about what I was doing for my body, and sometimes if I was extra stressed something like steady state cardio would feel good.

Over the years I have learned that the only thing I even semi-like is doing some sort of steady state cardio like an elliptical machine. At one point, I was pretty fit and felt I was getting a better workout from things like classes and online videos. While that was true, I hated every second of those workouts and would just watch the clock waiting for it to be over. And obviously I eventually fell off the wagon with it.

I figure it's better to do something I'll stick with as getting burnt out and doing nothing certainly isn't better! In the past I've also felt like I had to keep adding in more stuff as I got more fit, and I was spending a lot of time at the gym and felt like my evenings were being hijacked. Again, a reason I got out of the habit. This time I'm planning on doing about 30 minutes total so I can get in and out and not feel like I'm taking up too much of my time. I can also increase the intensity without increasing the time.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-30-2019, 05:59 PM

I go bicycling everyday and I LOVE it! I try to log 10-12 miles, but its an enjoyable hour or so for me and so mentally freeing. As far as weight training at the gym, I go every other day, but my favorite part of that is leaving !

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote