Help

The VENT

Another annoying question piggyback

>

twinmom95

Another annoying question piggyback
Old 12-31-2019, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So mine is "When are you going to retire??" Or " Are you retired ?" Often asked by total strangers like worker's at the doctor's office ( again yesterday!). When close friends or family ask it, I don't mind so much :-)

People, I turn 56 today! Not many people retire at this point. I'm told I look younger than my age, even though I have some " salt" in my " pepper" hair, so I don't think they're assuming I'm in my mid-60s instead of 50s haha! ( at least I hope not!)

I would love to be able to retire now and escape the nonsense and stress, but will be around for at least a few more years ( under 5 would be nice).

Yes I've been at the same school for 30 years and taught for 34 years, but I'm still only 56 and health insurance costs a lot of money when you have to pay for it yourself.

However it is really nice to be at the point where it's not that far off. It makes it easier to put up with some of that nonsense haha!

Last edited by twinmom95; 12-31-2019 at 05:38 AM..
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 12-31-2019, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For me this question always annoyed me, because they were really asking "Can I have our job?." My response was always "When I do retire, there will be a line around the block for my job" Which in my state, NJ, is true.

SassyTeach

I get it!
Old 12-31-2019, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hear what you're saying. I want to give you my perspective, though. (Skip right on if you don't want to hear it! )

I do ask people that, but not because I want them out of the building or out of the career. I'm trying to figure out my next steps, and I need advice! For real!!

I'm only 48, but there is no way I'll make it until my 60s. Not. A. Chance. Because of that, I love talking to staff members who are my age or older to get an idea of what they're doing, how they're doing, and if they are, mentally, in the same place I am. It's definitely not to suggest they should leave! I just want to know what the hell I'M going to do and talking to them always makes me feel better and have more clarity about the next step in my career.

You've given me something to think about, because I really REALLY don't want to offend or upset anyone by my question!! Of course, I don't ask bluntly, "When are you outta here?" or anything like that. It's usually in the context of the conversation.

Just my two cents!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

I can relate
Old 12-31-2019, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have been teaching 27 years at the same elementary. When I was in my 20th year I had some who work outside the schools ask if I was going to do 20 and be done. No. It doesn’t work that way.

Now that I’m in my 27th year I get the, “Are you retiring soon” and “How many more years” questions. I’m only 48 years old so I have a few more. My goal is 33 years service and age 55. We have two pensions and that will give me full service for both.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Sassy teach
Old 12-31-2019, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't mind when colleagues asked me so much as they know I've been there longer than anyone else haha. I get what you are saying about trying to figure out steps involved as I'm doing the same thing.

However I find it odd that no matter what healthcare person I go to they all seem to ask me the same thing the last few years ( and you have my age right in front of you on your file haha)!

Also, other people I just met who find out I've been at the same school for 30 years then often follow up with the retirement question.

Then I've got a couple parents begging me not to retire until their last kiddo comes through. Nope, not staying around for your toddler as much as I loved having your other kids!

cutecat

Old 12-31-2019, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I feel this way too!!!!!! I just turned 50 and have been teaching for 28 years in the same district. I love teaching my little ones and work hard to stay healthy. I color my hair and slather on wrinkle free creams. I have been told I look younger than 50. Every time someone asks me when I am going to retire, my self-esteem plummets and it makes me feel like I'm no longer being taken seriously. I too, will be around until I am 56. I'm looking forward to teaching more now as my boys are raised and almost on their own. I feel it is a insensitive question and one we should not use as making small talk or feeding our own curiosity. We don't know what feelings it stirs within another person.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 12-31-2019, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Since you mention that it happens often with healthcare professionals, I'm going to suggest they're slightly jealous and think you can go at 55. Where I live, teachers can retire at age 55 and 30 years. [I switched schools (and states) about 4 years into my career, so I have to go at least until I'm 60.]

So when people in other professions ask that question, they don't tend to know about the details - like whether you have your years and your age, or whether you have to pay for health ins. after retirement, etc. They just hear 55 years.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 12-31-2019, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Where I live, teachers can retire at age 55 and 30 years
My school district does have an early retirement stipend if you have been in the District 20 years and are at least 55. However it's a small stipend ( about 32% of regular pay) and only good for up to 7 years, or your normal social security retirement age, which is 67.5 for me. After taxes it would barely cover paying out-of-pocket for health insurance for 2 people. I will be taking it at some point, but not yet. No form of retirement includes any health benefits here, which is why so many people keep going until they are 65. I would really like to be done by 60 ( 4 more years)

We also have our state retirement that I can start taking at 60, or if we take it sooner we get a reduced amount.

I am in a state where I also get Social Security at some point. Plus I have my own retirement accounts. Hoping all that will be enough!?

dutchgirl

Old 12-31-2019, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have another perspective on that question coming from healthcare professionals. Knowing if you are retired or working helps them understand your lifestyle and stress, which affects your health. I get asked that too, but then most people my age are retired! I started late.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 12-31-2019, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I have another perspective on that question coming from healthcare professionals. Knowing if you are retired or working helps them understand your lifestyle and stress, which affects your health
That's a good point! When they ask I always say " no, not yet", but usually in my head I think "but I wish I was!"

travelingfar

Retirement Date
Old 12-31-2019, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

No one ever asked when I was going to retire before I did so at 58. I wouldn't have liked it if someone inquired about that. It is personal information that I didn't want to share.

Last edited by travelingfar; 01-01-2020 at 06:23 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-31-2019, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This reminds me of a previous teammate I used to work with. She would get furious when people asked her if/when she was going to retire. She thought they were calling her "old" and/or trying to "push her out." In most cases I don't think the intent behind the question is that nefarious.

I had another teammate who blithely stated at the end of last year that she planned to retire in 4 years. She's in her 40s so IDK how on earth she's managing that, but I guess it's none of my business.

Insurance is no joke. My dad retired this year and insurance for him and my mom is $1600 per month, and it covers way less than what his school plan did. He knew going in he'd have to find some sort of part time gig to cover the insurance costs. He ended up getting a teaching position at a private school, which I thought was nuts, but he's very happy there. It's WAY less work and stress than his previous public position.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Insurance
Old 12-31-2019, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If we keep Kaiser as our insurance the cost (based in this year’s chart) would be $1,237/month for two of us. I figure when I retire at 55 I can do something else part time. I could substitute or do something else completely unrelated.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 12-31-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Asking your coworkers, doesn't help you though. You have to do your research, because everyone's situation is different. I know I have mentioned this before, but my biggest help in retiring was buying years of my pension. I'm leaving with more years than I worked.

Summerwillcom

I have only been asked that twice
Old 12-31-2019, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

and I have taught almost 30 yrs. I saw it happen to a teacher who retired a few yrs ago a lot because she'd put 30 yrs in that same school. It used to annoy the crap out of her.
She had over a million dollars at her disposal along w/ a retirement pension, and her husband's pension, but she could not commit to quit. Finally, she had a really rough yr and retired.
I understood the meaning of the Q from both people who asked me. Neither were what I'd call friends. More coworkers who like to gossip. We live in a small gossipy town. In order to get a job there, someone needs to retire ,die, or move which seldom happens.
With both, I assumed they knew someone who really wanted a job there and were asking to find out how much longer before my job would be open!
That is not a question to ask anyone in my opinion.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

People ask that all the time
Old 01-01-2020, 11:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am over 60 and i am still teaching full time. I can't afford to retire. Besides, I like teaching!
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote