Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Scary night

>

SpedQueenBee

Scary night
Old 01-01-2020, 08:53 PM

About an hour ago I was in bed with my two 60 lb dogs watching tv. DS7 was on his room sleeping.

All of a sudden there was knocking at my door. Then banging on the windows. All rooms of the house. We live in a ranch.

I was shaking and afraid to answer the door. I grabbed my phone, got out of bed and started to call the police as I went to the door. It was the police at my door.

2 officers telling me they got 3 all's to 911 from my house. Turns out DS was playing with an old cell phone and called by accident.

The police officers were set nice to D'S and told him 911 was only for emergencies. When they left DS told me I should ground him.

I was a little upset that my dogs kept right on sleeping.

SpedQueenBee is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 01-01-2020, 09:17 PM

Thatís super scary!

In college, I had a stalker- days before we were set to appear in court, I awoke at 2am to a huge crash in the living room. I went out and the sliding glass door was shattered all over the living room floor. I locked myself in the bathroom with a nail file (because obviously I was gonna do some serious damage to the intruder with that) and called 911. Turns out earlier in the night theyíd had a party across the way and were shooting off BB guns. One bounced and hit the door- making a minor crack. I guess the door gave out a few hours later.

That is probably the most terrified Iíve ever been in my life! Itís very unnerving to be in the privacy of your own home and not feel safe. On the flip side, itís nice to know the police responded immediately! Your poor little guy was probably so scared.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Oh my that was scary
Old 01-01-2020, 09:23 PM

Glad everything turned out okay. Hope your son learned his lesson well. Curious minds.

Last edited by 1956BD; 01-01-2020 at 10:09 PM..
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Gosh
Old 01-01-2020, 09:58 PM

How very frightening!

This reminds me of what I did last summer. I watch my granddaughter who is 6 and my Dad who is 98. We live on a big property. One day i became concerned if I ever had some sort of emergency so i wanted to teach my DG how to call 911.

She hates talking on the phone and would not even dial 911. So I did. I quickly stated why i was calling and the trouble i was having getting her to call to practice in case of emergency.

The operator was very nice and invited me to try again. I got her to dial the number, but she would not speak. I quickly got on the line and explained. They laughed and said they had wanted to talk to her and eased my mind saying a silent call would illicit an immediate response.

My sister once had six officers come to her house. She was in the shower. She had 5 dogs and none barked. She commented on this and the officers told them it was common.

Glad you are ok.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

intruder
Old 01-01-2020, 11:20 PM

That would be frightening to me, too. I think. I'm not sure because I can get annoyed at people who disturb my sleep.

I had an intruder once. I heard the back door open one late night. (I hadn't realized that the lock was so flimsy that a good amount of jiggling would cause it to open.) I turned on my bedside lamp and called out "Who's there?" The person said, "No one, ma'am." (We lived in the south at the time.) I got mad and said, "Well, get the f..... out of my house!" (Not as polite as him.), and he left. I got up and walked to the back door and opened it and saw/heard an old pick up truck starting up in the Baptist church parking lot next door. I could see a young kid scrambling into the passenger seat. I moved quickly to the front door of my house in time to see the truck going pass, chugging along. (It was a really old truck.) I yelled out at them, "And don't come back or I'll blow your m'f'ing head off!" (Again, not so polite.) Apparently I get mad at burglars instead of getting scared. And I don't have a gun. I just swear easily.

Then I called the police who got there quickly, looked around, asked some questions, one of which was "Does anyone else live here?" Yes, my teenage son did, so I checked on him and he was sound asleep. Nice. (I'm being sarcastic.) "Maybe it was one of his friends," said the police officer innocently. That made me glower at him. I didn't say anything, but was he really implying that my son's friends would rob my house? He wasn't old enough to have friends that drove, but I did question the morality of a few of them who liked to light those small firecrackers and then throw them at each other.

So that was that. I now know that I'm a complete idiot because I got mad at the burglar, who could have been an attacker, instead of hiding in the bathroom like a sane person would have done. I also know that my son is a sound sleeper. He proved this later when he slept through Hurricane Opal. I also know that I hate being woken up in the middle of the night.

So congratulations on reacting intelligently instead of like an old school teacher facing down a group of miscreants.

timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 01-02-2020, 05:30 AM

Yes, that would be pretty scary and yes, I'd be pretty disgusted if I had dogs that slept through that! My cat's a better watchdog than that!

happygal, I am kind of shocked that you would actually call 911 while teaching a child how to do it and even more shocked that a dispatcher would invite you to do it again! In some areas, you can face a pretty stiff fine for calling 911 when it's not an emergency. They do usually just warn you when it's a situation where a kid does it while playing with a phone, but they're sometimes pretty stern when adults do it on purpose. You must live in an area where there's little chance that the system could ever be overloaded. I know you can schedule a test call with 911 to be sure you can reach them and that they have your location correct. That's probably the better way to find out if it's okay to do a "training" call.

I haven't had a (human) intruder or prowler in all the 25 years I've lived in my current location, but I still sleep with pepper spray and an ax handle by my bed - a habit I formed while living in a somewhat rough part of Minneapolis.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

A free drill
Old 01-02-2020, 07:23 AM

As awful as that was, it gave you a chance to see different possibilities. Seeing your dogs' reaction might be valuable in case you want a different plan in times of danger. It's also possible your dogs knew you weren't in any real danger and would react differently if you were.

The police came to my door once saying someone called 911. My kids were home watching television and I was in my room playing with the dog. We had a new cordless phone which I forgot was on the bed. My kids got a talking to by the police officer, because the officers were not convinced there was an accidental call.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Old 01-02-2020, 02:23 PM

We live in a small town and my husband was a police officer. He responded to a 911 call from a pay phone at Walmart. There was a child who kept calling and ordering pizza. When he got there, there were two women standing and talking. One of them had a little girl who was in the basket by the pay phone. My husband asked the woman if she knew that her daughter was ordering pizza from 911. The woman knew she had been playing on the phone, but not that she was dialing 911. She promised to keep the cart away from the pay phone after that.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-02-2020, 07:25 PM

Oh my! Terrifying! Based on what your son said, he is obviously sorry! That is cracking me up !

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote