Help

Retired Teachers

groups

>

LaFish

groups
Old 01-03-2020, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you still belong to any professional/educational organization?

I retired in June 2019. I volunteer at my former school once a month. I used to be very active in some of these educational groups. As the workload increased at school, I slowly stepped away from being actively involved. Now that I am retired I am not sure I want to continue with this group or find another group.

Would you recommend other educational retired groups?

LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Just joined
Old 01-03-2020, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just joined my stateís retired teachers association. They have luncheons every 2 months. I attended the December one and Iím signed up for the February one. They are active with political issues surrounding retirement. They also have sign ups for local outings as well as worldwide travel.

I do limited volunteering at my old school.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 01-03-2020, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Initially I met with a retired group of fellow teachers about twice a year. Discussions about life were interesting at first. Then we entered the last election and the conversations turned toward complaining about politics.I decided not to participate anymore. I thought that there are other more enjoyable ways to spend my time. This was just one group of women and groups might be awesome so definitely give one a try.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I second the retired teachers assn.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I joined the NJREA, the branch of NJEA my former union. It has been pretty disappointing. They have seasonal luncheons, but not much else. I wish they were more politically active, or would provide more opportunities to support working teachers through political action. That being said, I will continue to join because the publications give me good info as to what's happening.

I also am hoping to join a local group called The College Club. They raise money for literacy and other charitable endeavors.

On Facebook, I belong to a group called Badass Teachers (BATS). I think they have state groups through that, as well. BATS has given me good information. The NEA also has a retired teachers page and I belong to a couple of FB NJ teacher groups where I can keep current with educational developments in the state.

I have not encountered any other groups specifically for retired teachers, so if anyone has, please share. There
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-03-2020, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No, I don't feel like paying dues to professional groups. TBH, I didn't feel like they did a lot for me while I was working. I was a site rep and active in my local association while I was teaching. Now I don't have any interest except I will always vote to support public education.

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 01-03-2020, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I joined our retired teacher group. It’s free. We hold a luncheon or a luncheon with activity monthly except for June and July. We are involved with book drives for kids, community service, and helping various charities. We stay involved politically while monitoring what is happening at the state level with teacher benefits and education bills. I really enjoy the group and look forward to our monthly gatherings.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Groups
Old 01-03-2020, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm thinking about joining our county's retired teachers organization. They have monthly luncheons and sponsor lectures and other activities.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote