Help

BusyBoard

Need ideas for an exploration.

>

MissAgnes

Need ideas for an exploration.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school does exploration days a few times a year where each teacher leads an activity. The students sign up for the activities they want, and it's pretty much an all day thing. Our next explorations day is January 30, and we need to submit ideas tomorrow! I'm at a loss. The first time I did forensic science, but do not have the materials for that. LAst time I planned on activity combining math and art, but no one signed up.
Some of the other activities included: painting, games, illustrating a book, hiking, sign language, rockets, knot-tying, no-sew blankets.

I have no clue what to do. My hobbies are reading and beading, but one isn't going to engage students, and the other is too complex for me to teach.

I need something that's going to occupy several hours!

Please help!

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Exploration
Old 01-08-2020, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Collages....all you need is a lot of magazines, scrap paper, glue and scissors. If you have access to card stock or posterboard, cut it into about 4Ēx6Ē ish size.

You might ask other teachers (especially kinder) if they want to donate odds and ends of paper, ribbon, beads, etc. (no glitter...youíll never get it cleaned up.)

There was something going around a few years back where you made 3 collages...something about your past, your present and your future goals. Canít remember the name.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Risa

Explore geometry through origami
Old 01-08-2020, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

(Edited to add: Since you said no one signed up for your previously offered math and art exploration, could you just offer it again? It could be that it might still be a viable option this time.)

The first thought that occurred to me, is to guide students through Origami paper folding with an emphasis on basic geometry vocabulary. As you guide students through a paper folding emphasize (and lead students to use) words such as line, angle, parallel, symmetrical vs non symmetrical, etc. Have students actually draw on/label the specified lines, angles, etc. Also have students look for, outline and label geometric shapes while possibly explaining the properties of those shapes. You can compare and contrast similar or very different projects after they are completed.

Be sure to actually walk yourself through the making and labeling of a few projects in case they turn out to be too easy or too hard.

You didn’t specify the age level, but this might fit several grade ranges by the vocabulary you emphasize.

Last edited by Risa; 01-08-2020 at 10:54 AM..
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Play doh and the writing process
Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just recalled this lesson plan that I did with my fourth Graders over several days with great results. Itís a simulation that compares the process a sculptor (with play-doh) might go through with the process a writer would go through to complete a final art piece.

I remembered that I originally found the ideas here on PT so I did a search and found these:

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=355410

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=282162

Not really sure if this would be considered an exploration, so you might decide itís better suited for your own class.
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-08-2020, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've done an exploration on Doodling. There are books with ideas readily available in the library. All you need is paper and pens. I didn't use pencils so the kids wouldn't get hooked on erasing and redrawing. The class was popular whenever I did it.

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-08-2020, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We do something similar. Some ideas from ours: coding using devices, or unplugged coding activities. Roller coasters using foam pipe insulation, lego building, basketball, music instrument making, exploring matter ( oobleck), card making, puppet making, appreciation activities to make bags for seniors, gardening, cooking, origami, water exploration...
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Vision boards
Old 01-08-2020, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

would be really fun and useful for the new year, but you would have to gather supplies like magazines and newspapers. Another really fun activity is the STEM one where you try to create a boat that can hold objects. All you need is something like tin foil to create the boat, a tub of water, and something the boat can hold that's measurable, like tiles.

If you really wanted to get into it and are brave, one teacher did a super fun baking activity last year during a science night. Every table had bulk ingredients like flour, sugar, etc and students got a zip lock bag with a recipe taped to it. They filled the bag with dry ingredients using measuring cups (for math!) and then they could take the bag home and add wet ingredients like eggs to bake it.
hikinghiker is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-08-2020, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did an earthquake exploration activity. It used simple items I had in my teacher cabinet, and a DIY shake table made from wood scrapes and rubber bands.

I showed a brain pop video (here if you have brainpop and here if you dont have brainpop) on earthquakes and talked with the kids about the types of motion they make. We talked about earthquake proofing buildings and we discussed the value of building materials and specific designs for earthquakes ( designs and materials that can flex or absorb motion, the role of weight, and the importance of a wide base and the support differences in specific shapes like the triangle), Then I handed out some building materials (straws, tooth picks, paper clips, modeling clay, masking tape ect) and gave each group of 2 file folder to use as a base to build on. Then we tested it on my homemade shake table (very simple to make I didnt even reinforce mine with l brackets like they do in this video I just went to Ace hardware and asked if I could buy some wood scraps that were the measurements-they actually gave them to me for free so it was just simply screwing a few pieces of wood into a square shaped frame, putting some screws into a square of plywood, and putting them together with rubber bands and voila ). They had to design their build on paper, then build it, then each group tested and got feedback from the class, then they redesigned on paper, then rebuilt, then retested.

It was a hit!

One word to the wise though-I ran the shake table not the kids. I used extra large binder clips to clip their base to the center of the shake table and everyone got 3 wobbles on the first test and 5 wobbles of the table on the final test. The kids would have gone wild if I had let them touch the table to do the shaking. They were so excited by it that they got all hyped up.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote