Help

The VENT

Daughter's Teacher

>

Hammy6714

Daughter's Teacher
Old 01-10-2020, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a little frustrated with DD's teacher. She is a great teacher and we have loved her so far this year but I emailed her on Tuesday about my daughters report card (grades drastically dropped and there was zero communication about it) and I still have not heard from her. Should I call the school or send another e-mail? I know we all get busy and might not be able to respond right away but I feel like this should be a somewhat quick turnaround email when its dealing with grades.

Hammy6714 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-10-2020, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is always possible that the email got lost in her inbox. Stuff happens. I would send another one. If you call the school, I hope that you are thinking that you would call for the teacher- not going above her head.

I also wonder what age/grade we are talking about?
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

bulldoglab112

Old 01-10-2020, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Please give her the same consideration you would like parents to give you. What communication were you expecting? At our school parents have 24/7 access to grades online. We also send out progress reports at three weeks. How old is your daughter? Have you asked her why her grades dropped? Have you not seen graded papers?
bulldoglab112 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-10-2020, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd resend the email to the teacher, inquiring, especially if she has typically been someone you like. I might even acknowledge something along the lines of having sent an email a few days ago but hadn't heard back---not wanting to bug the teacher but realizing that it's right after break, things are busy, etc. I'd want to know if there was an email I hadn't received if it fell between the cracks.
I know you didn't ask but...bulldoglab brings up some good points. I think the nature of the conversation changes according to the age of your daughter and the expectations of the school. In elementary school, yes, some form of communication would be expected from the teacher but (at least when I taught elementary school) we sent out progress reports midquarter and parents had 24/7 access to my online grades. I'd count those as communication in addition to any graded papers sent home (although TBH a lot of work was in notebooks so wasn't always sent home). If your DD is k-3, I'd expect to hear primarily from the teacher but, 4th grade and up, I'd expect my DD to bear some of the responsibility for the grades. (See my conversation with DD last night when I found her grades had dropped in multiple subjects....grrr.).
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-10-2020, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd send another email. If after another 48 hours, I didn't get a response, I'd call the school and ask to speak to the teacher. If I still had not communicated with her and another 48 hours passed I'd escalate to admin

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Hammy6714

Old 01-10-2020, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My daughter is in third grade (8 years old) I emailed her teacher on Tuesday afternoon (1:43 time stamp on my email) I feel that 48 hours is plenty of time to respond to an e-mail concerning a report card. I received zero communication or evidence (papers sent home)from first to second quarter that her grades were dropping....that's where my frustration stems from.
Hammy6714 is offline   Reply With Quote

lacey2

Emailing teacher
Old 01-10-2020, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'd just resend the email. It's possible that it was simply missed. Has the teacher definitely been there or is there the possibility that she was absent? Or maybe there was a family emergency that she had to attend to and just couldn't get to her emails yet.

If she doesn't respond after the second email, I'd then call the school and leave a message to have her call you back.
lacey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Daughters teacher
Old 01-10-2020, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would wait til Monday, then resend email, noting you’d like to discuss the dropping grades with her. Ignore the fact she didn’t respond ASAP. She might be in the processing of gather the necessary data .

I assume you have already talked to your DD about this? What’s her input? Could be valuable information .
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-10-2020, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Do you have access to an online gradebook? If so, do you check it often? I always felt that parents should be checking their child's grades, so the final grade shouldn't come as a surprise. I'm sure she will get back to you. I'd wait till Monday, and then email her again.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 01-10-2020, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I’d E-mail on Monday. I’ve had parent E-mails go to spam depending on their provider.

I also find myself in agreement with those saying to talk with your daughter as well. I’ve had kiddos not take home graded work. I had one little boy that would dispose of it on the bus because he was scared to show this parents his grades. I tell parents to make sure they are logging into our grade portal consistently. They can even set it to E-mail them when a new grade has been entered. I also message them to let them know when to expect progress reports to limit lost progress reports, but doing that for every graded assignment sent home would be too much, not to mention it wouldn’t work for some assignments that are simply impossible to send home.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

mistydawn

Old 01-10-2020, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Did your dd take all the papers home? I had students toss papers with low grades.
mistydawn is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 01-10-2020, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Do you have access to your daughter's grades online through a school website section for parents? If so, checking your daughter's grades on a weekly basis would key you in to any grades that were lower, thus resulting in a lower report card grade. That's considering a communication to parents, but it's the parent's responsibility to check that on line system.

Do you usually receive graded papers? If they suddenly stopped coming home, you probably should have questioned your daughter about that earlier, and also communicated with the teacher earlier than now to find out the reason. Could be your daughter kept the papers with low grades away from you for worry about your reaction. Graded papers sent home are considered communication.

Do you usually receive a mid grade period progress report as a form of communication? That should be of some help with keeping up with your daughter's grades, but the average may drop if your daughter does poorly after the progress report.

Sounds like you may need to question your daughter and confirm her answers with the teacher to get to the root of the problem.

Finally, third grade curriculum does get more involved as the year goes by, requiring more from the students, especially in the areas of comprehension, the application of skills, higher level thinking, and knowing what operations in math to use to solve problems.

Many times, third grade is the first year a student will experience "making a lower grade" than in the earlier primary grades.
It's a learning experience for both students and parents!

Send the teacher another email. If this is the first week after winter break, there may be a lot going on this week. Also, this teacher may be gathering information and documentation to better address the issue of lower grades before returning your email.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-10-2020, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

TBH, I never really understood why parents were surprised by report card grades since they have 24/7 access to their child's grades. I always kept my grades up to date, and I sent home Friday Folders with all returned papers each week. Although I do know some students would take out papers with low grades.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-10-2020, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Please, please dont assume that you are being ignored. I have had email get stuck in my spam filter before as a sender and as receiver so please reach out again and give this teacher the benefit of the doubt.

Also she my be taking some time to recheck her data and pull her records so that she is prepared to be specific and so she can show it clear when she talks to you. I know that I like to have my ducks in a row before I make a call about declining grades because I want to be sure that I am accurate and clear about whats going on-I have been reamed in the past by answering questions incorrectly or referring to a low test score incorrectly and once you make a mistake you lose credibility with some people.

She also might be trying to get her remediation plans down before she talks to you. When I have student scores slip I am required to have a plan for adding support or practice opportunities and I usually try to have that information first so that I am prepared for such discussions. when a parent say-what are you going to do to help my student I want to have an answer for them so I am more likely to put off the discussion for a bit than to hurry up and meet with them only to have to give them a bunch of non-committal answers which leave them feeling like I have no plans to help meet their students needs.

If I were you I would send another email and then if I didnt hear back in after a few more school days then I would call the teacher directly.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 01-10-2020 at 07:36 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Just email again
Old 01-10-2020, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

It’s not unreasonable to think that the email got shoved down the list or accidentally forgotten. I’d simply send a polite “just checking in” email a second time.

How much of a drop is a drastic drop?
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

grade communication
Old 01-11-2020, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I agree the e-mail may have been lost. So I would try to re-contact the individual teacher by a different method.

I personally hate the phone, so I'd send a note (in an envelope) with your DD. Most 3rd grade teachers I know have a box where kids put returned forms, dismissal notes, etc. when they unpack their folders in the morning.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 01-11-2020, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
At our school parents have 24/7 access to grades online. We also send out progress reports at three weeks.
This. Most schools have online gradebooks these days and most parents have access to them. Most schools have some regular schedule of progress reporting as well, so when I hear parents complain about "zero communication" about grades I'm usually a bit skeptical. While I do feel that I have to return all parental e-mails and phone calls in a timely manner, it annoys me to no end to have to do it when all that information is readily available.

That being said, I'm sure there's a reason she hasn't gotten back to you. As others have said, e-mails go astray sometimes. Are you sure she's been in school? Sometimes kids don't mention if they had a sub. Is the school in the middle of testing? There's quite a bit of that going on in this area right now. I'd say give it a week and send another "just checking" e-mail.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

This week
Old 01-11-2020, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I emailed a teacher of a student I tutor. This is a top notch truly gifted teacher that as a mere tutor I hear back from immediately within hours usually. I resent the email two days later and she profusely apologized for not contacting me sooner. Her email included in in-depth response to what I had asked her. The teachers just went back to school in my area this past Tuesday. I would email her again on Monday and then follow up with a phone call to her.

P.S. I am retired from full time teaching
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I'd def give her the benefit of the
Old 01-11-2020, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

doubt. There are so many possibilities. ( spam folder, teacher absence, meetings, etc.)
IDK if her school is like this or not, but at 1 time, we had to count big final exams ( provided by the district on a designated day) as 50% of the 4th graders report card grade.
You never knew how some types of questions would be worded. ( Always a few confusing Q's to the kids) There was no telling how the student might do on that day.
If they did all of their classwork, their grade could be high and the test knock the grade way down or vice versa.
Anyways, as a teacher, you know how busy things can get. Since you have loved the teacher so far this yr, try not to be frustrated.
Look at her online grades and see if your DD is missing any assignments. ( That can knock grades down.)
The teacher could have made an error too. I remember when computerized grades 1st came out and I learned that new program.
1x I accidently clicked 100 possible points when I meant to click 10 on an assignment.
A frantic mom who worked at my school came asap to see why her DD got 9 out of 100 correct! If she had not freaked out like she did, I never would have been able to fix everyone else's grades before report cards. Everyone makes mistakes. Cut her some slack whatever the reason.
Email her again and if you still don't get a response , assume it is a spam issue, and call her 24 hours later if it was that drastic of a drop.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Emmy

Old 01-11-2020, 11:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

The same at our school.
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote