Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Would you?

>

Zephie

Would you?
Old 01-16-2020, 04:46 AM

I was gifted a scholarship for the women's retreat at my church next weekend. Someone paid $170 for a double room for me and my assigned roommate decided to pay for a single room. This left me assigned to a single room for free. Money was due last weekend, but with me being in an unpaid single out pastors wife told another woman that she would assign her to my room if she could pay the $170.

Maybe I'm just being selfish, but I really would love to have the room to myself. The woman who may come literally cannot handle silence for more than 30 seconds. Last year my best friend and I shared a room, but she wanted a single to have time alone since she has a lot of personal stuff going on right now. I totally understand that.

It's about $50 more for a guaranteed single. Would you call the church and ask if you could just pay the extra $50 to guarantee two nights of hotel style sleeping on your own instead of with someone who literally can not be quiet?

Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

4leaves

Yes!
Old 01-16-2020, 05:18 AM

1000%! Please do what is right for you and get a single room. I go to a weekend event once a year and could have the hotel room free if I shared. I choose to get my own room and pay for it. The time alone is glorious. I see other people during convention times and meal times, but that alone time really makes my weekend.
4leaves is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Yes
Old 01-16-2020, 05:18 AM

I don't like sharing a room with anyone except my husband, so it is absolutely worth fifty bucks to be on your own.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 01-16-2020, 05:49 AM

Absolutely! In a heartbeat. Especially since it is 2 nights.You deserve it. Let us know how the retreat goes.
gradymidget is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-16-2020, 07:51 AM

Yes! I could never share a room with a stranger (or realistically even with a friend), especially a talker. I'd definitely pay the extra.

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-16-2020, 08:08 AM

I don't completely understand all the logistics- would you paying extra to get a single room mean that that someone else is out a lot more money/has to pay more money?

My first inclination is to ask about paying extra to get your own space. But since you were gifted this opportunity, I would not want to cause someone else to have to pay more than anticipated (e.g., if the other person is short on money and has been offered some support but not enough for a single and the church/someone else wanted to help her out as well).

I would want my own room. I think it can't hurt to ask about the option, but also know that someone who gifted you money for this may also be offended. Hopefully they wouldn't, but people can be interesting.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Hotel room
Old 01-16-2020, 08:13 AM

I believe you are relatively comfortable with your church. Go ahead and inquire what it would take, on your part, to get a single room. Find out if this would impact anyone else.

If you really want to go and you have to pay $50, do it.

If you are ambivalent about going and itís going to cause problems, donít go.

If you really want to go, and donít want to rock the boat, accept the person youíll share room with and take a lot of walks.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 01-16-2020, 11:41 AM

I'm sorry this is happening to you, but honestly, no. I would not pay to upgrade to a single if your room was gifted to you as a scholarship.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 01-16-2020, 02:09 PM

Like Dr. GraceKrispy, I am not really sure that i understand all of the situation. However, wouldn't you paying the $50 mean that your potential roommate would also have to pay extra? I would not feel right about that, especially since my room was gifted to me.
JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 01-16-2020, 02:22 PM

Iím with GraceKrispy and some others. I think you should just accept the very generous gift of the retreat as it was given. To pay to upgrade, even if youíre paying, may not look the best to the donor.

noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-16-2020, 03:34 PM

I agree with the last few posters. It would be one thing if you had paid the entire cost and wanted to see if you could pay a bit more to get a single. It doesn't look good to accept the gift and then pay an extra $50 to get a single. If you really want the single room, you should pay for the entire cost yourself and let someone else have the scholarship.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 01-16-2020, 04:22 PM

I understand that you would love to have the room to yourself ,but in all honesty it doesn't look good on your part to have someone gift you $170 and then turn around and come up with your own $50 for a single room.

It may come across that the paid gift of the room wasn't good enough for you. It may also seem that you probably didn't need the paid room gift if you could come up with your the $50 just to make things more convenient for you. You might be left out of any possible future scholarships for similar activities.

I also wonder about the new roommate they assigned to you. Would this person now be charged extra since she will not have anyone sharing the room with her?

I hope the situation works out in everyone's best interests.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote