The VENT

Thieves

>

Persephone

Thieves
Old 01-19-2020, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Once again, I'm frustrated.
I do MakerSpaces and put out KEVA Planks for students to build with.
We have a blast!
Until...
Someone ruins our fun by stealing the materials!
Before each session, I remind students that the supplies belong to the school, NOT them and that they have to take good care of them and put them back. I've even been so bold as to say, "Don't break it! Don't take it!"
This week, I had a trustworthy student tell me that a student was telling another student to put materials (marbles) in her pocket.
I was a bit suspicious as the student left because she kept putting her hands in her big pocket and giving me a funny look.
So, I pulled her aside and asked if she had anything that belonged to the school.
Denied, but a very guilty look.
I told her to NOT listen to people who tell her to do the wrong thing.
Then, I pulled the other student aside and told her to STOP telling people to take the materials.

What is wrong with kids these days!

I know it was only marbles.
But, if they get away with that, then they'll just keep stealing.

And think of it this way.
If they take 8 KEVA planks every time we build, then after 6 building times, they've stolen a whole $30 set.

Can not talk to the parents about it.
They just twist it all around to make it all my fault.
They're mantra is: He/ she is only in Kindergarten. They don't know any better.
They've even said this to me when I called up about a 6th grader stealing all my pencils!

Thinking about having a Police Officer visit my classes to talk about crime.

Also...my classes are way to short and there are way too many materials to count everything.

Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-19-2020, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our Librarian has the same troubles as what you are describing. To help with this every student write an I will be honest pledge before they are allow to play with our maker space stuff or come to the bookfair (a huge time for sticky fingers and dishonesty). It is a fill in the blank page that goes with a whole class discussion about how important it is to respect the shared supplies and their pledge to never take, break, or not properly put away the maker space items or items for sale at the book fair.

So when a student breaks their contract they know they messed up and they know what the consequences will be(its says on the contract-first time-they are not allowed in the library for 2 weeks so they sit in the office during library time, second offense-they lose library for a month, third offense they loose library for the rest of the school year) and they agreed to all it and said it was a fair consequence back in August.

She has our P call the parents and tell them about it and she very clearly but very diplomatically doesn't let them turn it around. She is kind of like a Jedi that way-This is what happened and it is not unacceptable and your child was explained that it was wrong she did do it any way so she earned a consequence. We understand she is a child, but since she did know better and make a poor choice anyway she needs to have a consequence to help her know not to make that choice in the future.

My VP takes it a step further, she has had too many still try to turn it around on her so, she pulls out their contract and talks to them about what happened until they confess that yes, they knew it was stealing and took it anyway. My VP is BIG on the confession. Then when she calls parents she puts it out there up front that the student told her that they knew what they did was stealing and did it anyway, then she steers the conversation on because that fact is settled.

Then the students get written behavior referrals that go in their files for stealing-this is what wakes up some parents, others just say "ok" and you know that that family has bigger problems and will face make bigger challenges than this one because they arent up to the task of parenting.

I feel like these conversations are an admin thing though. Teachers and librarians dont have open schedules and have these long conversations first with students and then with their parents during their day. Sometimes these kids are in the office for an hour or two-cant do it. See if admin will can take over the parent contact. They should-if you get right down to it, they are lucky the child isnt being suspended.
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-19-2020, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Agree in kinderkr4zy.

I would have also asked the kinder girl to show me what was in her pocket- or I would have told her teacher that I suspect she has supplies in her pocket and let her find out for me.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

NoElephants

Old 01-19-2020, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel your pain. I missed the entire first week back from break because we were in the hospital. When I returned, my entire set of magnetic white board erasers had been destroyed. They had ripped off the felt and stole the magnets inside.
NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Old 01-19-2020, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So sorry! Once I had something stolen that another teacher had kindly let me borrow. To make matters worse, it had been her own son's when he was a child. I felt terrible!

Despite my talks with the kids, I never found the culprit.

elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-19-2020, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just had this exact scenario happen in my classroom this week!

They're in kindergarten - they absolutely know better. However, they are also just learning! I present these times to parents as a wonderful opportunity for students to learn about honesty and integrity, as well as using their voice and peer pressure. And the conversation would be with the thief as well as the instigator.

One thing tell my kinders - I know that sometimes you are playing with something and you put it in your pocket and forget, and then take it home. Sometimes I go home and have something from school that I find in my pocket. We all make mistakes, and all I want is for you to be honest and bring it back so that everyone gets to enjoy it. 99% of the time they are honest about it!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 01-19-2020, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

an idea: when i taught 6th we had a unit on force and motion and the kids had to use steel balls (yep--called them "steel balls" EVERY time) to measure force....each group had a tub with 1 ball of each size and a roll of tape and.....before i dismissed each group, i walked around and checked to make sure everything was in there tub--no ball? go back where you were and find where it rolled to! (i told them to place the balls in the middle of the masking tape roll so they wouldn't roll around and would be easier for me to find in tub)
tia is offline   Reply With Quote