Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

StitchFix

>

readerleader

StitchFix
Old 01-20-2020, 01:35 PM

Pros and cons? Iím worried that I will be shocked by the cost as I am truly a bargain shopper. Should I stay away?

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 01-20-2020, 01:41 PM

If you're a bargain hunter you will be shocked by the cost. I think things are overpriced...

That being said, I have gotten a few pieces (mostly blouses, a sweater, and one pair of jeans) that are unique, stylish and fun.

Don't be afraid to send everything back if it's not just right, or, even if you only buy one thing, that "pays" for the styling fee (I'm sure that cost is built in).

Make sure you put that you want to spend as little as possible in your style profile. I'm convinced that they have multiple price structures for what they think people will pay for.

I usually pay about $44 for a blouse. Definitely more than I would pay at Loft, the other place I shop, but I don't mind paying a little more for a fun statement piece.

And my favorite pair of jeans were a bit more, but I guess it's worth it because I've worn nothing but for the past year.
word girl is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-20-2020, 01:43 PM

I have no clue, but my former principal used it and the clothes were darling and flattering to her not-perfect figure type. And whenever I see their ads that show 1 complete outfit, I want it.

Fortunately for me, Iím retired and my wardrobe choices mostly include workout clothes and jammies.

Do let us know what you think.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-20-2020, 01:46 PM

Iíve promised myself if I ever get down to my goal weight Iím going to do StitchFix. Right now Iím spending the money on chocolate.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-20-2020, 01:59 PM

I tried them twice. If you are a bargain shopper, it's definitely not for you. I selected the lowest price tier and each piece of clothing was still at least $50 with most falling in the $60-70 range. That's way more than I would ever spend on something like a top.

I did get a pair of jeans that I loved (too tight now ). I'm an "apple" shape and have a hard time finding jeans that are loose enough in the waist yet not baggy everywhere else, and these were perfect. I actually looked for the brand to buy them on my own and apparently they only sell to wholesale places like stitchfix- individual customers can't buy.

It's been a long time, so I don't remember everything, but I also remember getting a plain but flattering top that I was going to keep, but then realized it was dry clean only. I don't mess with dry cleaning so that got sent back too. I also remember an $80 dress that looked EXACTLY like a $20 I owned from Target. The second time all of the clothes I got just weren't worth it for the price. I ended up keeping a cheaper necklace so that I didn't have to pay $20 for nothing (if you send everything back, they charge you the $20 styling fee).

I liked the idea and it was fun to get a surprise package in the mail, but overall not worth it IMO. They do make the returns easy if you want to try it- just keep in mind you'll have to either choose something or pay the $20 and end up with nothing. They include a bag in the package and you just mark a sheet, put whatever you don't want in, and drop it off at a UPS.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-20-2020, 02:14 PM

Doesnít sound like StitchFix is for me. I should have known when it asked me the stores I shop at and none were on the list! Pretty much everything I buy is on sale, clearance, or has a coupon!
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 01-20-2020, 02:39 PM

I use it every now and then. I used to get a monthly box from them but I stopped getting it that frequently. The clothes are great.
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 01-20-2020, 03:23 PM

I did try it and got a couple things. I thought it was expensive.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Try it
Old 01-20-2020, 05:15 PM

So easy!

I have a dress from them that always receives a compliment from strangers, women.

I enjoyed the thrill of the shipment

You cam get one fix a month or even less frequently. I usually buy used clothes. With this experiment i chose higher end pieces. What Fun!

I also did some shopping for my granddaughter using kidfix
Really great experience
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Also
Old 01-20-2020, 05:16 PM

You can get one fix. Then suspend fixes until you feel like another. Customer service is great as well.

happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Stitch fix
Old 01-20-2020, 05:29 PM

I tried it twice. Yes, the clothes were expensive in my opinion. I bought one blouse. The rest were the ugliest things Iíve ever seen with no style whatsoever. Iím told having a Pinterest board with styles you like for your stylist to view helps.

Give it a try. It canít hurt.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Alaska35

I
Old 01-20-2020, 05:31 PM

started using Stitchfix last September. I have enjoyed using this service. I am retired, however I wanted to create a wardrobe that was more retirement friendly. I wasn’t wearing many of the clothes in my closet. I need casual clothes for volunteer work at my church and casual clothes for the church I attend.

I signed up to receive a box each month. I kept all of the items in the first box. I loved all of the items in the box so I kept all 5 items. You do receive a 25% discount if you keep all 5 items plus they take off the twenty dollar styling fee.

I haven’t kept all of the items in the boxes I received after the first one. I have kept at least 3 items from the other boxes.

At this point I don’t need any more fall or winter clothes, so I changed my preferences to receiving a box upon my request.

I exchanged an item due to needing a different size. The exchange was easy and I received the new size.

Stitchfix sends a labeled bag with your items and it is easy to return the items that you do not keep.

One more thing- I always tried each piece of clothing on even if I thought I
wouldn’t like the item. I was surprised that I liked several pieces after I tried them on. I also created a Pinterest board for my stylist to view.
Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Indiana Jen

Thread Up
Old 01-20-2020, 06:22 PM

Check out Thread Up. They have stuff to buy and Iíve found some good deals on some nice pieces.

Theyíve started going what they call Goody Boxes. You tell them the type of clothes youíre looking for, style and the such and they send a box of about 10 items and you have 7 days to try on and return. Thereís a $10 fee thatís applied to anything you keep. I pick the. Cheapest price point so most of my pieces are between $20-$30 range. Last box I did I asked for just tops.

I have a code to pass along that waives the fee on your first box. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Iíve done threadup and StitchFix and threadup is much closer to the price point I like.
Indiana Jen is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-20-2020, 06:42 PM

I knew it would be more expensive than I would be up for (I got 2 pairs of jeans for $22 each on sale recently and I was hesitant because it's more than I usually spend ), but it would be so fun to get a clothing selection picked out for me by someone else. I wonder if I'd like anything. I have a really pretty boring style I'm ok with that, though! I like many of my clothes.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-20-2020, 07:45 PM

Another thing to add: I think the service would be way better if you sent in a picture of yourself and they actually picked clothes that would specifically look good on you. I've never had an eye for picking out flattering colors/styles etc. specific to me and would totally pay the higher prices for something like this.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

bronxgirl75

Old 01-22-2020, 05:09 PM

Yes it is a little more expensive but where I live there are very few shopping options (and even fewer plus size). I love getting jeans I can wear right out of the box. I have stopped shopping for things for the most part and get a box every other month. I love being able to ask for something specific and have them try and find something for me. I struggle with putting together outfits that aren't boring and stitch fix has gotten me out of my rut. My teenagers are not embarrassed to be seen out in public with me now....HAHAHA
bronxgirl75 is offline   Reply With Quote