Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

On more piggyback- traffic!

>

GraceKrispy

On more piggyback- traffic!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:31 PM

I'm actually surprised my commute isn't higher. but it's pretty darn high on this list. Anyone else?

https://www.businessinsider.com/wors...rk-new-york-50

Ha, I totally forgot the link. Sorry! It's there now

I was curious, especially after reading about Jersey and the traffic there. I don't see New Jersey on this list, though. I do see NY metro, though, so maybe those parts of Jersey are included there.

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 01-20-2020 at 07:25 PM..
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-20-2020, 07:51 PM

My city is in the top 25. I'm a little surprised by the list because I wouldn't consider a 25-30 minute commute to be that bad.

What's happened in my area is that the population has exploded in not that long of a time frame. I moved to this city 8 years ago and there are entire sections that were nothing when I moved in that are now basically mini-cities themselves. So people weren't used to sitting in traffic and now it's really hard to avoid. I moved to my former apartment 7 years ago and my commute was consistently under 20 minutes. Last year it was up to at least 50 minutes most afternoons.

Where I live now, it's basically a straight shot on a busier road, but not highway. Traffic only adds a few extra minutes and at most it's 20. I do wonder if the same thing will happen though- the area I'm currently in is getting really built up and I wonder if it will be enough to make the main road I take bumper to bumper during rush hour.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-20-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Los Angeles = Average trip to work: 30.8 minutes
They must have timed it at midnight for someone who works 2 blocks from home.
I like L.A., but the traffic....
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 01-20-2020, 08:34 PM

I live in a podunk little town. The town I drive through to get to work has 1 light. With that being said, driving in LA is almost easier. I spend my summers there. Traffic can be insane but predictable. People will generally let you in and know how to merge. Parallel parking sucks.

Living in a rural area, I have a near miss with a deer at least once a week. People drive their tractors through town. A horse and buggy goes by my house every Wednesday. Ice storms are frequent occurrences. People have no idea how to drive. You can’t anticipate what anyone is going to do, I don’t think they know until they do it.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Traffic
Old 01-20-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
They must have timed it at midnight for someone who works 2 blocks from home.
I like L.A., but the traffic....
Thatís exactly what I was thinking! Same for Seattle and SF. We lived 20 miles from SF when DH was working there 20 years ago and an hour commute each way was common. And the bad traffic keeps getting farther and farther out.

Iíd love to know how far away from work these people in the survey live because everywhere Iíve lived Iíd consider a commute under 30 minutes to be easy!

PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 01-21-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I was curious, especially after reading about Jersey and the traffic there. I don't see New Jersey on this list, though. I do see NY metro, though, so maybe those parts of Jersey are included there.
Yes, NJ is in there. NYC metro area includes NJ. We are hidden within the #1 top spot. To quote the article:

Quote:
huge proportion of commuters don't live in New York City — over 1.6 million people come to Manhattan from another county every day. With most New Yorkers taking the crumbling subway to work, getting to the office in New York isn't always a breeze.
Try attempting to get near the GWB or the Lincoln tunnel or the Holland Tunnel or the Queens Midtown Tunnel during rush hour. This map of NJ sums it up perfectly. I live in the gray area closest to NYC. I consider NYC metro area to be the five boroughs, northern NJ, and Long Island. All of them suck equally when it comes to traffic and commuting.

Taking mass transit into NYC during rush hour is no picnic either. I had to get in and out of the city a few times in my life during rush hour times. I don't know how those people do it every day. First, you are squished into trains and buses, no where to sit, pressed up against people you don't know. If you take the train out of NY Penn Station, getting to the train when they announce the door to go through to get the train, you might be trampled. Imagine tons of people all bum rushing a small doorway. No one is happy. No one is smiling. No wonder people think people from this area are angry. We are!

Last year, Dh and I went to Newport, Rhode Island for the weekend. It's a beautiful town, quiet in our opinion. We were waiting for the trolley bus with some other people. They were from out of town somewhere in Colorado. They were complaining about how crowded Newport was. DH and I burst out laughing. We politely told them it was not crowded at all from our perspective. They found that amazing. They said they couldn't stand the crowds. We told them never go to the NYC metro area.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by Jackie; 01-21-2020 at 01:34 AM..
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 01-21-2020, 03:53 AM

Haha- I lived in Newport as a kid! Itís so tiny! We moved from there to the DC area.

As I was reading, I was shocked to not see this area, but then got to the bottom. They lumped the whole DC/Maryland/Va area into one! And I definitely agree with it being at the top. My dadís commute is close to 2 hours each way- itís terrible. Itís aging him really badly.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-21-2020, 03:37 PM

Jackie, that's why I said this
Quote:
Looks like I hit a sore spot- sorry

Looks really annoying. My area was a little further down the list than NYC metro, and it's bad enough!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 01-21-2020, 03:51 PM

I read and understood your post Grace. No need to apologize. I saw an opportunity to vent about a constant annoyance in my life and ran with it. If you lived here you would understand why Iím so irate about it. Like I said, itís a constant fight for an inch of space on the road. I just screen shot a post on Facebook from someone in my town that sums up living here perfectly.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote