Help

Second Grade

Non stop talking class

>

MTN GIRL

Non stop talking class
Old 12-01-2011, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you handle a class of 25 talkers? Behavior wise they are fine. They just can't stop talking!!!! Any ideas?

MTN GIRL is offline   Reply With Quote

rreyes2

For Talkative Classroom...
Old 12-01-2011, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Write all your instructions on the overhead, digital screen or any other media that will allow you to run on "silent mode". Any question asked by the students can be replied in writing for all to read. Encourages reading and refocuses everyone. Especially if their names are on the screen with specific instructions for a given subject. This helped me while I was being observed by my administrator. Recieved kudos from visitor for redirecting what could've been a runaway learning session.
rreyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Quiet Star!!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I need to have my students totally quiet... during a test or writing time, I put up a star with a Q in the middle of it. That means everyone must be totally silent. If a student starts talking, I put their name on the board and they owe me 2 minutes of their recess. If they talk again, they owe me two more minutes. The class loves it, and when it gets noisy, they beg for the quiet star. I also have the Whispering Star. (A star with a W) That means we can whisper, but NO TALKING!!!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

powellstarkey

Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree writing instuctions down on your smart board or what ever device you have works. I Need to do it more often.
powellstarkey is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndGradeMama

Too much Talking
Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a class this year where there is TOO MUCH talking!!! Somethings work better on someday than others...but I too would love suggestions.

1. we have a behavior chard and the mark their behavior...I also have master list so I know if it is done or not. The card is signed by parents daily.

2. If it is a class issue--I will start spelling RECESS on the board if I get to the end of the word in one day then they have an alternative recess (walking laps in the school).

3. We are filling a bubble gum jar in the classroom for our behavior in Encore, with subs, and compliments in the hallway...we are earning "free gifts" (extra recess, no shoes day, dance party during recess, extra computer lab...)

4. Take away things that your student enjoys...no iPad, computer, SmartBoard (I do this if this is where the behavior is occuring)

5. Silent lunch...you talk during my time...now you can be quite during yours

6. Have the student write a "Fix-it Plan". They describe the behavior and explain how they will fix it. Sometimes I ask the students to think of 3 consequences for their behavior and I will choose one...they are harder on themselves that I am on them.

7. Classroom meetings

8. I post the rules in the classroom. I also have a poster of "what to do if I am done"

I hope that some of these ideas might help you...or at least let you know that we are all trying similar things and it is not just you.

How many more days until break??? !!!

2ndGradeMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Getrgoing

Silent Day
Old 12-16-2011, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I decided to have a silent day. The kids knew it. I would not talk to them and they could not talk to me or to their classmates. We did communicate by writing to each other. At lunch time and recess time they could talk all they wanted. About a half hour before the end of the day, I spoke to the students.

They were amazed they could be quiet. Some of them even asked to have a half day of silent day in the future. They enjoyed the quietness of the room.

Do they still talk? Yes. But I remind them that they know how to and can be quiet and need to be quiet when I am talking.

Another thing I have learned is to go over the clas rules every day. They don't forget them that way - and neither do I. I must hold them to the consequences and I must be consistent.

I also do the "When I say go, give me five." Check it out on the net. It does work.
Getrgoing is offline   Reply With Quote