Help

New Teachers

Please help me!

>

Brightside925

Please help me!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone! I am a first year teacher, however I am NOT in a public school. With how the job market is, I accepted a position in an early childhood center as a Kindergarten teacher last minute after the previous teacher stopped showing up after a week. I am NOT under contract and have been told if I choose to leave to give two weeks notice. It is a very complicated schedule. I have 8 children in the morning, then 5 go to public school for half day kindergarten, then they come back for the afternoon. It is very difficult to design curriculum around this and it is not concurrent with the public schools. I cannot make it flow better with the public school because I have a completely different curriculum program. I have also found adapting curriculum to 3 children to be challenging. I much prefer when I have the group of 8 in the afternoon so I can do small group work.

I have children who receive special education services at the public school, but I do not get any support. I have a child who has a 1-to-1 aid at school, and I am alone with him and the rest of my class. I have struggled for four months, but I have not gotten a lot of support from my superiors.
They treat my room like a daycare and send it preschoolers half way through the day to stay in ratio. This totally disrupts my classroom because I cannot get these younger children to participate in lessons beyond their skill set and my students get aggravated when they have to learn while others are being disruptive. This matter has been discussed, but management does not care.

I have been harassed by my boss about having jury duty. It was said to me that I will hopefully have a job when I get back and although I am doing a good job I am easily replaceable.

I know this placement is nothing like public schools (although they also have their challenges) and I really am feeling I cannot make it another 5 and a half months in my position. I will feel terrible about leaving the children, but I feel like this job will make me dislike teaching forever. I do not think leaving will adversely affect future jobs because I am not under contract until the end of the year. Also, I make the same amount of money as when I was in high school, not even half a public school salary.

I have the opportunity to work as a substitute teacher for higher pay and will at least be in the public school system while having time to dedicate to my master's program. I am just looking for some advice on the right thing to do. Thank you so much.

Brightside925 is offline   Reply With Quote

short_bread

If I were you
Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I were you, I would take the substitute teaching job. While substitute teaching is harder, you would be making your face known in public schools. This sounds to me like where you want to be. You'd also be making a decent living wage.

Secondly, it sounds to me like the people you are working for really have no respect for you. To tell you that you are "easily replaceable" without giving you any support is unacceptable. To basically make the threat that you will "hopefully have a job" when you get back is even more unacceptable. If I were you, I would get out of there. You don't even have a contract, so they can take advantage of you any way they want.

It would be sad to leave the kids, but you really need to look out for yourself at this point. If you are "easily replaceable" it sounds like they have a bunch of people lined up for this position already. Heck, since you don't have a contract, you are under no obligation to give 2 weeks notice. Technically, this is the considerate thing to do, but they have shown you no consideration. I'd say be the bigger person and give the 2 weeks (for the kids sake) but...you don't have to.

You would be better off in a place with a stream lined curriculum where you can get your face known and perhaps get a chance to do some long term subbing.

Best of luck to you. I hope things work out.

KP
short_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

Brightside925

Thank you!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your advice. I really think I am leaning this way. I do not want this job to influence my view of teaching and make me feel I made the wrong choice in becoming a teacher. I think you are right about giving my notice as it is the right thing to do. Thanks for the support!
Brightside925 is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbleepink

I agree with Shortbread
Old 01-11-2012, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Having no other options as well, I too, worked in a daycare for a month as a sub. As a certified teacher I took the job knowing that I would be paid significantly less, but at least the pay I was getting was more than those who didn't have a degree (they had a rate for college grads and University grads). I have been in the room when children have been added to fit the ratio. I was never the lead in the room but I can see how that is frustrating.

To the point: You need to take care of yourself. If you are so easily replaceable, have them replace you!
bubbleepink is offline   Reply With Quote

Getrgoing

Take the Sub Job
Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Leave. Take the substitute job and save your sanity. Even doing what you are doing for another 5 1/2 months can make you feel bitter about education. You are being treated like a doormat. You can make contacts in the public sector, get ideas from going into the classrooms, and work on you own professional development. Make the plunge.

Getrgoing is offline   Reply With Quote