Help

BusyBoard

Literacy Work Stations

>

bookworm472

Literacy Work Stations
Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know there are a number of threads about Debbie Diller's Literacy Work Stations, but many of them are at least 5 years old (not that they aren't still relevant). I was wondering if anyone is still successfully using this model of Literacy Work Stations.

If so, how is yours organized?

What stations do you have?

How do you rotate the students?

How do you fit in guided reading?

I have a small room, how do you utilize your space?

Any other tips for successful implementation?

Thanks in advance!

bookworm472 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Literacy Stations
Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sure someone else can give you better advise. I get an A for creativity and a C for organization so take that into account. However, I noticed that no one had answered your thread so I wanted to give it a try.

My stations vary daily. There are some activities that I repeat so the students can easily do them independently after I have taught them.
I just like the variety rather than the same daily routine.

Sometimes have four stations and we spend about 15 minutes at each. I usually do three stations and each last 20 minutes. Twenty minutes is usually more productive that 15. JMO

Computer Station- Achieve 3000 or TTL (type to learn program) or publishing a word document for final draft or Spelling City word work

Focused Lesson with teacher- Guided reading and or guided writing. I love reading with my students so it is never a problem for me to get this into my schedule. When we complete a novel or short story I might skip reading in small groups for a day to do something else important.

Word work - I have a rug area with dry erase boards, clipboards, chalkboard on file cabinet and magnetic letters for file cabinet/ I also have a large magnetic poetry set

Free reading or paired reading almost anywhere in the classroom

Grammar practice/ editing practice This is mostly done as desk work.

read aloud- using mentor texts

task cards can be used on the rug or at desks

Writing- after we have started a new assignment and they understand the requirements they can do some writing without guidance before we meet and conference again.

One on one conferencing for reading or writing.

That is all I can think of right now. I basically plan the groups when I write lesson plans. Each day I write the different station tasks on the board and then my groups rotate through.

I find that students like to change their seating. So changing from their desk to the rug to the computer helps them stay on task.

My color scheme is red, white and blue. So, I have a red, white and blue group when we do three rotations.

My students have assigned numbers. So if I need four groups I usually do

odd single digit
even single digit
odd double digit
even double digit

I try to warn them a couple of minutes before we switch stations.We move in the order the activities are listed on the board. We always move in a clockwise fashion.

Hope I said something helpful.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

bookworm472

Old 08-14-2014, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you, 1956BD! That is kind of what I am picturing as well. I just don't want to overwhelm myself with all this extra prep work, and I want the work that their doing to be valuable without adding too much correcting. I think I will be doing a lot of trial and error this year!

1956BD

Trail and Error Works
Old 08-14-2014, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Good luck exploring what works bets for you and your students. That works better for me than following a single program format.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

bookworm
Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi,
In the past, I followed and used Diller's literacy work stations. To me, it was a lot of prep work and I also didn't like changing out my centers so much. I also didn't like having to come up with different activities all the time. It just didn't work out for me and my teaching style I guess. I made the switch to Daily 5 and would NEVER go back to literacy work stations. I like having the 5 centers all the time and giving my students choices within those five centers. Best of luck to you. I really hope you have better luck with literacy work stations.

beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

bookworm472

BeachBumTeach
Old 08-15-2014, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the input. I have tried Daily 5 and wasn't a huge fan. My P wasn't crazy about it either. Diller's Practice with Purpose was a book bought for each of us by our district a few years back. It was never mandated, but I thought I would give it a try.