Help

Teachers' Lounge

relaxing summer activities with young kids

>

kidsummer

kidsummer

relaxing summer activities with young kids
Old 06-27-2018, 05:50 AM

If you have young children, what are some activities that you are doing where you can also relax instead of being on guard such as swimming? TIA.

happygirl444

Old 06-27-2018, 09:20 AM

I find taking my kids (2 & 3 yo boys) outside in the yard to be pretty low stress. My kids are just more content outside. They play in the sandbox, the water table, kick balls, draw with chalk, pick up bits of nature (mostly this one), etc. We do it every day, and if we are outside for a long time, I read or write for part of that time. I stay home all day with them so I like this time to enjoy a little downtime.

We also do "readathons" where they pick out a whole stack of books and we read them on my bed with a book light. You still are engaged with them but I find it low stress.

I also find any planned activity at a facility is great...story time, toddler gym time, music class, etc.

My kids also will water color or do play dough for a good length of time, I just prep for mess by putting down an old plastic tablecloth.

Here's to a relaxing summer.

Last edited by happygirl444; 06-27-2018 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Added
happygirl444 is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 06-27-2018, 09:41 AM

We used to go to the library for story time.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

redmonkey

Old 06-27-2018, 11:40 AM

How young? My daughter is 6 so these are the things i like t0 do that are low-key: watercolor paints, painting rocks and play-doh (I spread out newspaper on the table and let her have at it). Also story time or just a library visit. Our library has computers for kids so she can play on that while I browse books. The local park is a good option, ours is closed in so I can sit at the entrance and see her pretty much everywhere, I prefer to take my older nephew along so he can play with her. The bookstore is a good option too. If you mall has an indoor play area you can go there to hang out.
redmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 06-28-2018, 03:09 AM

When my children were little and I needed a break, I used to put them in the bathtub with a bunch of toys or a can of shaving cream. While they played, I read. Water play can keep them busy for a really long time. We also filled a little baby pool out in the backyard, even when they were a bit older, and they played with that happily for a long time. They would pull berries and small flowers off the bushes and "make soup", wash rocks, water the garden and make wet footprints on the sidewalk. I would sit under a big tree in the backyard and read. Another thing I would do is cover the kitchen table with a large blanket and make them a fort. They pretended they were camping. That kept them busy for a long time too.

overthemoon is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Couple of ideas
Old 06-28-2018, 04:46 AM

Make some homemade playdough:
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup table salt
2 packages unsweetened Kool-Aid (both of the same flavor)
2 tablespoons oil
2 cups boiling water

Mix the ingredients and knead the dough until smooth and pliable. When the kids are done playing, store the dough in a ziplock bag. It'll last about a month.

Also, my kids used to love building a "tent" out of throw blankets and such in the living room. They would move chairs around and drape the blankets over them, then take a stack of books and some flashlights and snacks in there and read or play a game.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote