Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

chemo

>

brooks56

chemo
Old 10-01-2019, 11:17 AM

My best friend just had a mastectomy (left breast) last week and is waiting on her report for treatment. They didn't think it was in her lymph nodes, but after testing it was found in one lymph node. I am a breast cancer survivor and only had to have radiation after a lumpectomy. I know there are many survivors on this board. My question is do patients usually have chemo if it is in only one lymph node? It is another week until she goes back to her surgeon.

brooks56 is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-01-2019, 11:26 AM

I am certainly no expert, but good grief every day I hear of at least one more person with breast cancer!!!

Someone I know had a lumpectomy and before surgery. Was told it was not in her lymph nodes based on all testing done. Surgery comes along and it was in the one lymph node they removed. They did not do additional surgery to test for other lymph nodes and she only had radiation.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Chemo
Old 10-01-2019, 12:30 PM

I think it depends. I remember my oncologist saying that they are not doing chemo as much for lower stage cancer and little or no node involvement.
LuvMyRatties is online now   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 10-01-2019, 03:54 PM

I had a lumpectomy, Stage 1, 2 lymph nodes removed but clear. My surgeon said I would only have radiation. I was sent to an oncologist after surgery and she said I would have chemo followed by radiation. I was shocked when I was told I would be having chemo.

Went through the chemo and radiation, and I am on the other side now. This was January of 2018. My mammograms and check ups are still all clear.

Good luck to your friend on her journey. Hope it won't be too difficult for her.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

It depends
Old 10-01-2019, 04:41 PM

I had a double mastectomy with lymph node involvement 3 years ago.
They tested the tumor and found my particular type of tumor did not respond to any chemo. I was told that they would not do radiation if you were going to do reconstruction since radiation ruins the skin for reconstruction. They removed 27 lymph nodes so they could make sure that the cancer hadn't spread past the one that they found cancer in.
The also assign an oncotype score, based on the tests they do on the tumors.
I believe that a score from 0-12 means no chemo is necessary, 13 to 19 means they decide based on other circumstances, and anything above 19 means that chemo is necessary. I could be wrong on those numbers.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-01-2019, 04:58 PM

I had it in no lymph nodes and still had to have chemo. One node is enough because they do not take them all and if they found it in one it could be in others. There are also other factors. I had to have it because the size of my tumor was larger than they like to see, I was premenopausal and my Oncotype score was a bit on the higher side.

Praying for your friend!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote