Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Your Thanksgiving 2019 Plans?

>

MAsped

Your Thanksgiving 2019 Plans?
Old 11-18-2019, 06:04 AM

Can you believe TG's next week already?! I'm a little stumped this year. I don't have much money to do anything fancy since I'm saving up for a big summer trip.

I like doing different things and my mom's side of the family has diminished. While there's definitely no ill will, my dad's side does their own thing. One year, I went to a theme park and another, went to a dinner buffet at a restaurant. Another, had Mom over and another, relaxed at home all day! Even drove to Vegas one Christmastime. (My Mom and I talk 1-2 times daily and see each other regularly. I also have a busy work schedule and so we aren't the types who have to see each other ON the actual holiday or birthday itself.)

Since I've moved out of my parents' house, I honestly don't like sitting up in anyone's house all day, but I'm leaning towards having my Mom over for a few hours.

MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Thanksgiving Plans
Old 11-18-2019, 06:53 AM

Enjoy your mom while she is with you. Having her over for a few hours sounds a great plan.

This year we will be going to see grandson play football in the Annual HS Turkey Bowl at 10:30am. Dinner around 2ish.
Thinking of cooking the turkey on Wednesday and just warming slices in broth. Dinner will be an informal affair.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-18-2019, 07:09 AM

I am heading back to my childhood home area to spend the week helping my dad out a bit. So this past weekend my dh, my girls, and I had a "Festivus" celebration. We had vegan hot and sour soup and vegan sushi for brunch. That was actually festive and fun. Then we had a cake decorating contest. I supplied the cakes (vegan) and the icings and fondant.

It was fun.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote
kahluablast
Old 11-18-2019, 07:11 AM
This message has been deleted by kahluablast.

bellringer

Thanksgiving
Old 11-18-2019, 07:13 AM

For probably 15 years I have been the hostess for my parents, brother and family, and my son.
This year I am retired, the "kids" will all be at their other-side-of-the-family, my brother has a girlfriend, and my father has passed away. So my mom and I are going to my cousin's in the Cities (4-5 hour drive). I am excited about getting out of town and doing something different. To say nothing about not having to cook it all and clean!
I'm charged with bringing the lefse, cranberry relish, two kinds of homemade pickles, and pecan pies. I'll bring some other food, too, as we will be staying two nights.
bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-18-2019, 07:16 AM

kahlua, I LOVE your pics of your celebration. You definitely win the Seussian award. Thanks for the smiles.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Well, since you asked.....
Old 11-18-2019, 08:10 AM

DS24 will be coming home so it will just be the three of us. Dd24 will stay in Washington DC with her boyfriend but rhey will come here for a week at Christmas.

About three years ago I discovered our Supermarket does a Thanksgiving turkey in a box deal which is all precooked and you just have to heat up the turkey for 2 hours. It is absolutely delicious and so easy :-) I usually make one extra pie to go with it. The three of us have really enjoyed this and love just chilling at our house for the day!

You might recall my sister has caused all sorts of drama the last couple of years since my parents have been out west at Thanksgiving. We used to all go to their house and my family had somewhere to sleep over. It is no longer convenient to go to each other's house ( no where to stay over) on Thanksgiving Day due to the 2hr drive each way, her son plays football that morning, and my son also comes from 2 hours away and relies on a roommate for a ride.

However, she feels "abandoned" on the holiday. The fact that we all spent a week together 4th of July doesn't count in her mind as family time.

It's only 9 days away and none of my siblings have said a thing about plans and I don't plan to.

Then onto Christmas!! They need to be about 6 months apart
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

celebration
Old 11-18-2019, 08:18 AM

This year's Thanksgiving will be very quiet. DH and I have reservations at a local restaurant and DD#1 and friend will join us. In the past I've hosted in-laws who came from 3 different states, but I'm done with that tradition as I realized I was the only one doing all the work.

Quote:
...and I had a "Festivus" celebration.
kahluablast, I need to start doing those again. Maybe I'll do one this December.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-18-2019, 08:44 AM

Dd is hosting Thanksgiving because it is easier to be home with Jai than to go elsewhere. Of course, her dh and her stepson will be there. Her mother-in-law is newly separated, so she will come. So dsilís brothers will be there as well...one with wife and two boys; one with his little son. And Uncle John has nowhere to go...so he will come.

If you are counting, that makes 8 adults and 5 boys (ranging from 13 years to 5 months).

Ds and his dw will have Thanksgiving with her mom this year...they are probably going out for Chinese food!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Thanksgiving
Old 11-18-2019, 09:09 AM

For a long time DH and I celebrated Thanksgiving with a large group of family members. Over the years most of them moved out of state, and our parents passed away. Then we started having Thanksgiving dinner with friends, and it was always a lot of fun. Unfortunately our friends moved away three years ago. This year we will be going to a restaurant with a huge fireplace and a cozy, country style interior. Eating out isn't my first choice, but it would be hard to cook a big meal here with our eight month old puppy around.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

This year
Old 11-18-2019, 09:46 AM

we're going to Huntsville, AL. We're meeting our daughter who lives in Dallas half-way, and will stay at a stone cabin built by the CCC during the Great Depression. We'll see the space museum and other local tourist attractions and have TG dinner at an area restaurant.

I have five daughters, and we alternate spending time with them at Thanksgiving. This particular daughter is the only one not married, and while she would be glad to join us (or another family member), we wanted to do something where she was the center of attention, and not just a hanger-oner.

PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 11-18-2019, 10:04 AM

My family will be going to BILís house. We have been going there for several years. He invites his whole family (children, grandchildren, brothers, sister, nieces, nephews). His wife invites her whole family. We bring something for the meal and a beverage or two. There is a big gathering and everyone gets along.
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowflowers

Thanksgiving Hijack!
Old 11-18-2019, 12:06 PM

Bellringer, do you make homemade lefse? Yum!

Since every year either DD or I host Thanksgiving, we decided we would hijack DS's apartment and let him host! (Only he doesn't know this yet!) And it's his birthday, too!

Now I don't expect my 25 yr old bachelor son to cook a turkey. So when I get the text from him this week (which I know I will) asking "Any Thanksgiving plans?" I will say, "Yes! You're hosting! And since the host always provides the main course, may I suggest pizza and wings? I will bring paper plates, plastic cutlery, pumpkin pie and bday cake, and your sister will provide appetizers and the entertainment (my 3 grandkids ages 1, 3, and 5). And you don't have to do any driving! (He lives an hour away.) Happy birthday!

In case you are wondering, he is so laid back this will not bother him at all. I believe it will be a fun, low-key day. And I don't have to spend time planning, grocery shopping, preparing for days, spending the whole day in the kitchen, or cleaning up! Win-win!
yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Iceland
Old 11-18-2019, 01:13 PM

I will be in Iceland hopefully seeing the northern lights. If not, then I will still be in Iceland, but probably pretty sad that I'm not seeing the northern lights.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 11-18-2019, 01:24 PM

Oldest son is flying to Florida for a month on Thanksgiving Day. Youngest son works that day. So we are having our turkey dinner on Sunday.

Thanksgiving Day itself, DH and I plan to go to the Chinese buffet. I love turkey, but don't want more after Sunday and the leftovers.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

redmonkey

Old 11-18-2019, 02:31 PM

I finally convinced my family to rent a cabin in the mountain of Georgia for the week. They always resisted because it was not 'tradition' but unfortunately my mom had a huge falling out with my dad's side of the family and she was more than ready to plan something different. At the time we planned it my dad was not attending and was in battling a pain pill addiction. He has stopped taking the pills and my brother who has been sober for the last 2 years is joining us as well. This will be our first family vacation with all siblings there since we were kids. So looking forward to it! It will be my parents, me and my DH and our two girls (ages 2 and 7), my sister, her husband and my niece and nephew (ages 13 and 10).
redmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 11-18-2019, 05:15 PM

I am hosting for my extended family - it will be 31 if everyone comes. It used to be fun, before my kids, nieces and nephews all married and now have babies and little kids. It is just too large of a group for my house (or any of our homes).

I sent out a sign-up genius on Saturday to try to encourage everyone to pitch in. My generation responded right away; I have only heard from my dil - no nieces or nephews yet have responded.

We may have to think about just breaking into sibling family groups and each just hosting our own families in the future. That would be 11 for me - much more manageable.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-18-2019, 06:51 PM

Having your mom over sounds like a great idea! It sounds like it will nice and quiet and you will be able to enjoy each other's company.

We are having our oldest son, DDIL, her parents and DH's brother, SIL and nephew over. Then we'll go to our son's home for dessert in the evening. Our younger son is an assistant store manager and has to work at 2 with an hour commute, so unfortunately won't be able to spend time with them this year. DD is in Colorado.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

Love
Old 11-18-2019, 07:28 PM

That you are considering having your mom over, and as pp said, enjoy every moment you get to spend with her.

DH and I will be celebrating Thanksgiving at a local restaurant. His DD and her children will be traveling to her sisterís house, and celebrating with her mom and grandmother.
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-18-2019, 08:08 PM

Iím cooking, and we are taking everything to my momís house. It will be me, DH, DM, and her BF. Later that weekend we are going to try to see FIL and BIL.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 11-20-2019, 06:27 AM

Sounds great guys! Whatever you do, enjoy the memories and have a relaxing holiday!

twinmom95, I think I might remember that about your sister.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote