The VENT

Items Gone Missing

>

ideas4

ideas4

Items Gone Missing
Old 11-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I signed out because I don't want to out myself. I'm also going to keep this vague, as I don't want to give out too much information and out myself either, even if it is anonymous!

Anyway, I'm just curious, when things of kids go missing and they automatically assume it was stolen, how do you handle it? I'm talking things like erasers, pencils, plastic rings (like from an arcade type prize), small toys they bring from home (like 1-3 dollars in value, you know those little toys kids shouldn't bring to school but do?), fidgets, etc. To me, as a teacher, we don't have the time to spend dealing with this. That's not our job. If I notice something "off", I don't mind addressing it or keeping my ears open and hear what happens, fine, I'll say something, but I'm not going out of my way to investigate what happened to items like this. Sorry. I have better things to do. I'm sorry the kid lost an item meaningful to them, due to misplacing it or it getting stolen, but I'm not going out of my way to solve the problem. Maybe I'm being a cold hearted bitch, but honestly, where do we draw the line? If we as teachers investigated every little item that disappeared (and I feel like kids are constantly saying it was stolen as their first conclusion), we would have no time for other things. I don't want to spend my days like that. That's my job. I'm not a police officer, I'm not a detective, I'm not investigating these things.

Unfortunately, other teachers, parents, and administrators at my school feel it is the teacher's job to do this. It's ridiculous. So I'm curious, at your school, how are these things handled? Say a kid bought a special eraser (like those "designed" ones) and it goes missing. The student thinks someone stole it. What do you do? To me, I'd tell the kid I was sorry that happened, that it stinks, and I'll keep my eye open for it. But I'm not doing backpack/desk searches. That's what teachers at my school do. Seriosusly...every time this is reported. I have better ways to handle my time.

km

Old 11-21-2019, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

ďHas anyone seen Samís eraser?Ē
Crickets.....
ďIf anyone sees it, please return it to Sam. Thanks!Ē

Move on.

If a parent asks, I just say Iíll look into it (see above) and keep my eyes out (not really since I will probably forget about it within the hour).

I always tell the kids not to bring things to school that are so special they would be sad to lose it.
km is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Not my job...
Old 11-21-2019, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not a detective or a security guard. I do a lot of "I'll keep an eye out" and "Have you checked lost and found?" but it's absolutely not my job to track down a missing spider ring that cost .0000002 cents. I'm there to teach kids how to read, not conduct backpack checks and pat downs.

Tiamat

Old 11-21-2019, 10:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I go with km's response. I can tell the irate parent and child that I enquired into the matter. But usually it goes like this:

"Miss, somebody stoled my pencil!!!!!!!!!!"

"Is that the pencil on the floor under your chair?"
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Old 11-21-2019, 10:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't deal with things like that either. I say the same thing as the other posters- "Excuse me class, has anyone seen________'s item?". Please return if you see it. Then, I resume teaching. If parent's email, I tell them when they come to the school they can check the lost and found.

We aren't responsible for large or small items. If cell phones, kindle's go missing, we direct them to lost and found as well. Our handbook says we aren't responsible for lost items.

DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 11-22-2019, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is why I do communal supplies, and donít allow them to bring anything from home. If they decide to ignore this, then itís not my problem.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 11-22-2019, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I say the same thing. If anyone finds it please give it back. If they press the issue I tell them they are responsible for their supplies. That usually ends it. Most of the time the item is found.
mommy9298 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 11-22-2019, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My class will often jump to "someone stole it" when it is just been misplaced. We rarely actual lose something for good...it usually turns up.

I do the exact same thing...say what is missing and say I will keep an eye out. That's it.

Once $20 was actually stolen from a student's backpack and I said I was sorry that happened and then later, reminded the whole class not to bring money to school. The parent did not say anything to me, but if they did admin would have backed me. We can not be responsible for personal items that really have no place at school anyway.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote