Help

BusyBoard

Anyone ever leave mid-year?

>

hikinghiker

Anyone ever leave mid-year?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm currently teaching at a charter. I was content to stay the rest of the year, but when admin found out I was job searching she was not happy and pulled me into a meeting and completely demoralized me and made me worried about future evaluations.

So I scheduled some interviews and got a job offer at a nearby public school. The class size would only be 15 kindergarteners (versus my 25 kids) and I love the 'look' and feeling of the school. The only negative is that I don't believe it's a permanent position, though I guess nothing is really permanent since they don't do their estimated enrollment until Spring. Still though, if I take the job I'd get into the public school system and from there it's not difficult at all the find a new school.

Right now I'm in a public charter with no mobility, admin I don't like, and a few parents that really rank up my anxiety. Plus a lot of favoritism and a grade level chair who acts like a supervisor and makes all executive decisions, leaving me with no freedom in my class. Even in terms of lesson planning, activities, timing of things, etc.

Also, I'm going to have to give my 30 days notice on Friday in order for me to start work at this new school by January, even though I don't have a signed contract yet, so there's always that risk. I'm also worried that my Principal will instead say that my last day should be December 20th, because otherwise I would be getting paid for Christmas Break when I'm not planning on returning to the school after December 20th, if that makes sense. It wouldn't be a death sentence for me, but I would have to use my emergency savings to cover January bills, which isn't ideal.

More than anything though, I feel bad for my kids and their parents. I teach Kindergarten so it's a mixed bag where, on one hand they get really attached, but on the other hand they're super adaptable. Also, I'm only a second year teacher and I would need to take a lot of the stuff that I bought for the class like books, readers, etc. Also, now that Christmas is coming up I obviously wouldn't want them to get any gifts considering I'd be leaving.

Does anyone have any advice, stories, or insight?

hikinghiker is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-02-2019, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I left a school mid year to go to a different school. It was hard and I felt very guilty, but I had to take care of myself.

I think, unless your contract provides otherwise that it is entirely possible they could set your leave date for the last day before break, so prepare yourself for that.

When I left I wrote up report cards basically for up to that time. I made sure that the new teacher had access to my plans that showed what standards I had already covered and where students were on them. I did a short write up for each child with strengths, weaknesses, likes/dislikes. I also did a short program for parents that students performed - which kind of took me out on a high note.

It was harder than I thought it would be, but I wasn't leaving because I had difficulty with the school or the principal. I just had to take advantage of the opportunity that was before me. It would be easier with admin I didn't like or trust.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 12-02-2019, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unless your charter contract is different from most, you get paid only for days worked. Now they may divide the total school year days evenly for convenience sake, but you get paid for the days you work. So your pay should be the same whether you finish in the 20th or the 31st.

Take whatever you personally bought with you. Take home some each day so you don't have a lot to do at the end.

Enjoy your new position.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-02-2019, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I haven't, but based on what you've posted I would definitely make the switch. I'd consider that if you do stay on at your current school, they may non-renew you at the end of the year which would make it very difficult to get another teaching job.

Especially given that factor, I wouldn't let guilt over the students stop you. They will do just fine with their next teacher. Just think about the teacher who is out there right now looking for a job who can now have this opportunity.

Like the others mentioned, I would definitely prepare for them to not pay you for days you didn't work over break. No one likes to dip into savings but it sounds like you have the money available and it will be worth it in the long run. If you're very concerned, it might be worth it to get a seasonal job to bring in some extra cash. Tons of stores around me are hiring extra employees for the holidays.

Around here, signing contracts right away just isn't done so it would be impossible to have that in hand before resigning your current position. However, if that's the way things are done in your area, I think it's totally appropriate to contact whoever made the offer and ask if there is any way you can get the contract ASAP so you can resign from your current school.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

snazzyjazzy

Old 12-02-2019, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I left a public school position six weeks into the school year due to a very toxic environment. I didn't want to leave but between the admin and the teaching environment, it would have been detrimental for me to stay. I spoke with my principal and told her that I would stay until Christmas break if needed but I couldn't finish out the year. She sent me to another room and my classroom was cleaned out and I wasn't allowed to say goodbye to my students. To add more salt to the wound, my teaching licence was sanctioned until July 2020. This means that I can sub but not teach during this time (I lost from mid Oct 2018-July 2020 because of this). I still feel that it was the best decision for me. I wish you the best of luck in your new position.

snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Old 12-03-2019, 02:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have not left mid year but know someone who has. The only thing I would add to this great list of advice is to make sure the offer is valid with contract and start date for the new job. Was your health care and salary all covered in your offer?

Good luck on this important change in your career!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

What to Do
Old 12-03-2019, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm glad you found a better position at another school. Tell the new school that you need to sign a contract before you give notice at your current school. It would be awful for you to give notice and then have the new position fall through.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

My Nevada district
Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

doesn't have teachers sign contracts until the board officially approves the hiring at the next scheduled board meeting.

Chill, though. The decision is a blanket approval of a consent item on the agenda, as in building contracts, food suppliers, retirements, hirings. Yes to all.

Have you found out if Clark is still offering signing bonuses? They were a year or two ago, might be still since they are still hurting for teachers.

You'll likely have to wait at least a month for a pay check, districts pay monthly. Getting a job for the interim would be very helpful and likely easy to come by as the holiday influx of tourists heats up. Start looking now, though. And be ready to work some evenings now even if it means less prep time for you class. Prioritize.

Do take whatever you've personally bought with you. You may well have an empty classroom to move into and are unlikely to be welcome to return to collect your belongings in your old school. Take some home each day.

Did the first school hold you to the letter of intent after you went with another school even though you'd committed to stop looking? I recall that you did tell the first school about your interview the next day.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Broomrider
Old 12-03-2019, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm hoping I don't have to wait too long between paychecks. I'm thinking that my current school will still have to pay me on the last Friday of December, since I worked through December (minus the break which I wouldn't have worked anyways).

CCSD pays bi-monthly which is what I'm used to s hopefully I'd get paid by CCSD at the end of the month of January, though I would hope that I still get compensated for the first half of the month since kids are back on January 6th.

I think I'll probably donate plasma on the weekend or something just to get some extra cash, since I'm trying not to spend any money. And no to the signing bonuses, at least from what I've heard. Though they do usually match salary which is nice.

Also, I advent hard anything form the first school so I think they just dropped it, thankfully.
hikinghiker is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 12-04-2019, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I'm currently teaching at a charter. I was content to stay the rest of the year, but when admin found out I was job searching she was not happy and pulled me into a meeting and completely demoralized me and made me worried about future evaluations.
Been there-After my principal got the call to verify my employment for my new position I was in the final stages of consideration for I was in the hot seat. I was treated horribly and talked to like a I was a scum or something and then fired without cause before what was supposed to be my last day because they found a new hire and figured that they might as well fired me since I was "disloyal" and wasn't staying any way they could cancel my insurance.

Everything in the room was mine and I took it all with me. I felt bad for the kids but it was my stuff that I bought (our spending budget was 0 so everything came out of my pocket aside from a few pieces of curriculum) and I was not in a financial place to leave it all behind and have to buy more things to replace it-the kids were fine. My new classroom was also empty as can be so I needed my stuff. They had a bare class room for a few weeks (there were only a few weeks left in the school year) but it wasn't the end of the world. I also didnt deserve to loose my belongings when it wasnt my fault-it was admins. It would also be admins fault in your case since they created a culture of fear and distrust and disrespect when they started treating you poorly just because you started looking.

If your like me you will end up not only back on your feet but much happier and better off. Its always a small risk to give notice before your new contract come through but staying is also a risk as my experience shows. Congrats on the job.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote