Tutoring group/ low prep low level activities? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Tutoring group/ low prep low level activities?

>

Haley23

Tutoring group/ low prep low level activities?
Old 12-05-2019, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for low prep activities that I could use for my after school group during their independent time (they're split in half, 25 minutes direct instruction with me and then the other half is independent during that time). The students are 1st/2nd grade but academically at a mid-K to mid 1st level.

I have tried providing some more "fun" things like reading games and even allowing them to color/draw, but my room is very small and it's just too distracting when the independent group is making noise. They've also gotten to be close friends over the time and now there is a lot of giggling/goofing around . I've had to give consequences for this every day for the past couple of weeks so obviously the set up is not working and they need more structure.

What can I have them do QUIETLY that would keep them busy but not involve a ton of prep for me? Last year I'd have my 3rd graders do homework, free reading/writing, or reading packets I put out. These kids are too low to do any of that independently. There is also too big of a gap between the 1st and 2nd graders to really do meaningful small group instruction if I were to try to just do a 50 minute lesson for the whole group rather than splitting them up.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 12-06-2019, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Math or language arts/reading?

I am guessing that your low firsties don't have their letters yet? Are they missing counting and number ID to 20? How about adding within 20?

If you have a set of dolch words written on flash cards you could do some simple "center type" activities and put some shaving cream on place mats from the dollar store and have them write their dolch words in the shaving cream. Or they could build the words with playdough. For those just work at the letter stage you could do the same for letter.

If you want some kinder letter packet/cvc word/sight word and basic numeracy (number identification, adding tens and ones, place value for tens and ones) type things I'll attach what I used to use. They arent intervention kits really but they should be low prep packet type things that they are able to do them on their own.

(edited to add-message me if you want the packet download-I think the files might be too big so it wont let me download them)
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote