Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

? New oven

>

marguerite2

? New oven
Old 12-15-2019, 11:39 AM

I use my oven mostly for baking, and since we are both on diets not too often. Yesterday, we had company and I took the easy way out and ordered a meat pie that only needed heating. My oven didn't seem to to the task and I ended up microwaving individual slices.

I am going to double check with an oven thermometer, but figured I'd check at Lowe's on the way home for church for prices. Which leads me to two questions.

It goes without saying that the oven has to have the self cleaning function. But, they also now offer a steam clean function. Does anyone have it? Do you like it?

Our appliances are all bisque (off white). That color is being phased out. There were two models that came in bisque. But, maybe it's time to start changing our appliance color. Black is lovely, but maybe too dark for our kitchen. Stainless? White? Any thoughts?

marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 12-15-2019, 11:54 AM

I have stainless and I love it. I don't know why people say they have difficulty keeping it clean. It has never once been an issue. A good stainless steel cleaner is all you need.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-15-2019, 11:58 AM

I also have stainless and love the way it looks. I know nothing about self-cleaning because I rarely cook.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I don't know how old your oven
Old 12-15-2019, 12:20 PM

is or what brand it is. Electric ovens often, after a certain number of years, have their thermostat stop functioning correctly. Maybe if you don't want a new oven right now check and see how much it would cost to have your oven fixed.
My oven's thermostat is rather wonky right now. I am just procrastinating calling for a repair. I have a second oven.

If you want a new oven GO FOR IT! Some of the new ovens are awesome. I have stainless steel, but most of the front is dark glass. No problem cleaning.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-15-2019, 01:19 PM

chipmunky said what I was going to say. We've replaced the heating element and thermostat several times. If you want to extend the life of your range, you might look into that.

I like slate appliances. Stainless is too modern/cold for my kitchen, black is too stark, but the slate is a perfect compromise for me. When we get around to replacing, I hope to put in slate ones.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Black appliances
Old 12-15-2019, 03:07 PM

I have black appliances and totally regret my choice. Every little speck shows.

At the time, 16 years ago, stainless was coming out, but they hadnít perfected the fingerprint-less (or whatever they call it), and the fingerprints and smudges would have driven me crazy. (But then, the black is!)

I also got a black composite sink at the time. Huge mistake. Cannot stand it. Iíve been asking for a new sink for years, but itís a matter of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie - new sink means new counter, back splash,...
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 12-15-2019, 05:03 PM

I had a Whirlpool with steam cleaning. I hated it! It never really cleaned the oven. We recently replaced it with a self cleaning range and I had spillage at Thanksgiving. The self clean worked perfectly! From my experience I do not recommend the steam clean feature.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

3togo

No to steam clean!
Old 12-15-2019, 05:56 PM

I was talked into getting an oven with steam clean and I hate it! It doesnít really clean. Maybe if you cleaned it after each use, but I still have to use oven cleaner on it. Never again!
3togo is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 12-15-2019, 07:54 PM

From personal experience, do not get black stainless. It scratches super easy and is hard to keep clean.

I would go with either black or stainless. Regardless of what color your kitchen is, white appliances (in my opinion) always make a kitchen look dated and old. If you think black is too dark, you can almost never go wrong with stainless. You will definitely get your money back whenever you sell your house. If you do go with stainless (and this is important to you), take a magnet with you and test it to make sure the door is magnetic. I know some stainless appliances are magnetic and some aren't.

All of our appliances are Samsung brand, and we have no issues with them. We had them in our old house too and never had an issue with them. Just a personal preference of mine but if you plan to replace all your appliances over the next few years, stick to one brand. I know it sounds silly but nothing bothers me more than having different appliance brands, because even though you may have all stainless appliances, they might not all match exactly.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

PokerKat

Kitchen aid is my go to...
Old 12-15-2019, 10:45 PM

I replaced my gas stove last year. I have also been told to stay away from the steam clean varieties. I have found that quite a few of the ovens, if you want a double oven, just has a removable plate so technically you have Just one oven. I have a KitchenAid that has two separate ovens - a smaller top oven and a larger bottom oven. I rarely use the bottom oven but use the top oven all the time. it doesnít heat up the house nearly as much and heats up much quicker than a larger oven would.

Had Iíve been smart, I wouldíve bought a KitchenAid refrigerator that wouldíve had a normally functioning ice maker Rather than the Samsung I have with a non-functioning ice-maker. I agree with pp, I think itís a good idea to have all of your appliances from the same manufacturer. Also KitchenAid is American made

PokerKat is offline   Reply With Quote