Help

The VENT

Letter of resignation, effective 5/22

>

checkerjane

Letter of resignation, effective 5/22
Old 12-18-2019, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Done, done, and done. The biting continues, three times today through a bite sleeve hard enough to leave a mark, and still no support from admin. Turned in my letter at the end of the day and was wished good luck in finding a new position.

I donít want to finish out the year, but Iím trying to be professional about it. I donít know what Iím going to do, all I know is Iíll work a job outside of education if need be before I do this another year.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Checkerjane
Old 12-18-2019, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You did the right thing to save yourself.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 12-18-2019, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree that you did the right thing. The longer you stayed there and made yourself miserable you also enabled the district not to doing anything differently. By walking away you are not only taking care of your self you are saying "I will not continue to be part of the problem".

As a sped credentialed teacher you WILL NOT have a hard finding a new position.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 12-18-2019, 11:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm surprised you're even giving them 5 more months when you're being bitten every day like this and they won't do anything about it. If the district wants professionalism, how about they make the first move by caring about the safety of their employees? Absolute insanity.

Good luck. Personally I'd leave over winter break and not look back if I had the money and were basically being abused at work and the administration refused to have my back. Shame on them. Good on you for getting out.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Good for you
Old 12-19-2019, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hopefully now that you know you are leaving the days will be easier to get through. Take whatever sick days you need, and donít hesitate to hand in another letter with an earlier date if you want/need to.

Time to start counting down the days!

Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 12-19-2019, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would leave now. This is a natural break in the year. Why put up with that situation for 5 more months?
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

TchrFvr

I agree with annie_g...
Old 12-19-2019, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

...you don't have to stay out the year. It's not unprofessional to leave a dangerous work situation. It seems to me that no one could possibly object to your saving yourself from abuse.
I don't understand why any administrator would not support you by getting that child out of your classroom after the first attack. I wish there was a way to document with a camera the physical and mental and emotional abuse you're are being forced to endure, and present it to the school board and the superintendent and even the public, so they can see for themselves and possible really understand the physical danger you are putting yourself in every day by going into that classroom.
Teaching should not be a dangerous profession!!
TchrFvr is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 12-19-2019, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would love to leave now, trust me. But Iíll need her for a reference for jobs I apply for.

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 12-19-2019, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wouldn't finish the school year in an environment where I wasn't safe. I'm so so sorry you're dealing with this.

Did you contact the union? If they refused to help, you could have gotten in touch with an attorney. Sometimes a letter on a law firm's letterhead to the principal or superintendent is enough to get administration moving on a situation. You are entitled to work in a place where you aren't physically harmed day after day.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 12-19-2019, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You might need her for a reference but how do you know you will get a fair one? I would ask for a reference now, get it and leave. You owe them nothing.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

onion girl

Old 12-19-2019, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you find a great new job quickly.
onion girl is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Have you checked with
Old 12-20-2019, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

your doctor about these bites? The human mouth is swarming with germs. I worked at a state hospital in an autism program and every time I was bitten or scratched, I was sent to the employee clinic for a gama globulin shot as a preventative measure.

I would hope there are more modern medications currently available. I'd be leaving work and going to the doctor or whatever clinic is under contract for employees/workman's comp every time my skin is broken, if I was in your position. Not only will this create a paper trail of your abuse by a student, administration will need to arrange coverage for you while you get immediate treatment.

Find out the recommended time frame for getting treatment these days from your doctor and abide by it.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Old 12-21-2019, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
But Iíll need her for a reference for jobs I apply for.
Sometimes admins try to ďblackballĒ or give awful recommendations just to be spiteful if they know a teacher is trying to leave & not happy at the school.

If I was in your situation ,I wouldnít have given her 5 months in advance notice bc..

That gives her too much time to make things miserable for you while your there & give you bad recommendations.

I would have told her ďeffective immediately ď when I intended to leave bc

she has not been a supportive & fair administration based on events you have described previously

Last edited by Dr. A; 12-21-2019 at 05:54 AM..
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 12-21-2019, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

First of all, I am so sorry that your administration is not being supportive. It sounds like you are keeping them informed about the events happening in your classroom that are creating an unsafe environment, both for you, your staff, and the students. Now you are taking the necessary steps to get yourself out of this situation. Good luck. It is always difficult making such big changes even when the reason for the change supports it.

Quote:
I'd be leaving work and going to the doctor or whatever clinic is under contract for employees/workman's comp every time my skin is broken
Please take the above advice. Get these injuries documented by a medical professional. It may or may not help you in this situation but it will hopefully create documentation to help get the students the proper placement and help the current paras and future teacher in this position when you leave.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 12-21-2019, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
Sometimes admins try to “blackball” or give awful recommendations just to be spiteful if they know a teacher is trying to leave & not happy at the school.

If I was in your situation ,I wouldn’t have given her 5 months in advance notice bc..

That gives her too much time to make things miserable for you while your there & give you bad recommendations.

I would have told her “effective immediately “ when I intended to leave bc

she has not been a supportive & fair administration based on events you have described previously
This has been my fear ever since I resigned, and I think my timing was really bad. I don’t trust my P or my superintendent (we’re a small district, so I can see someone calling him for a reference) to not be assholes if someone calls for a reference. I should have waited for better time, but I was so done that day.

On a more positive note, thank you so much to everyone for their encouraging comments and thoughts. It’s scary, scary as hell. I’ve never resigned at a job before having another one lined up, but I just couldn’t take it anymore.

Summerwillcom

Getting bit daily is bs
Old 12-21-2019, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'd go to the dr every single time I got bit.
I'd document why in an email to the P.
If nothing is done, I'd think you could sue the crap out of them!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote