The VENT

Subman inspired me to find this:

>

Summerwillcom

Subman inspired me to find this:
Old 01-03-2020, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

http://www.pleacher.com/mp/mhumor/teachmth.html

How math has changed over the yrs......I like version 2.

90s version:
"An unenlightened logger cuts down a beautiful stand of 100 trees in order to make a $20 profit. Write an essay explaining how you feel about this as a way to make money. Topic for discussion: How did the forest birds and squirrels feel?"

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Love this
Old 01-03-2020, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I bought an 1883 grade 3/4 mathematics book (Size about 6 x4 inches) at an antique shop one year. The problems were all farm based and no way kids today could figure them out even with the conversions. The book originally cost 15 cents and is signed by about 10 family members. Here is an easy example problem:

A farmer spent $289 for cows, giving $23 each for two and $27 each for the others: how many did he buy?

This book is from Ontario. It is hilarious to read through as it talks about pecks and bushels, just like my Grandmas old recipes.

My dad grew up in very rural Manitoba in the 30's. Poor as dirt with really no dad as he fought in both WW1 and 2. Dad says they had a great time though. I have his public school report cards which are hilarious. Attendance recorded and then from there, the kids are graded on their standing according to classmates. They are all hand written on a piece of half scap. One says Billie is 2 of 3 in reading. He missed over 90 days that year due to scarlet fever and no doctor for over 100 miles. My dad was 8.

Other boys missed that many days because they were needed on the farm. Life has really changed. My dad was asked to teach 1-8 one year when he was 18. They could not find a teacher for this very poor area. He said it terrified him as a lot of the boys in grade 8 were way older than him due to poor attendance.

He is 90, a man who came from nothing and has lived in Asia and Egypt and seen the world with my mom, who also came from nothing. This will never happen again in the world we live in now. Sorry if I high jacked this thread. Just nostalgic right now.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Things were def different...
Old 01-03-2020, 11:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah, life has really changed. My dad grew up on a farm too. Times were tough in those days. Kids nowadays complain about stuff that would have sounded insane back then. It is awesome your mom and dad were able to see the world together.

My dad went to a 1 room schoolhouse and ended up w/ a PhD in chemistry.
He told me if you learned your lessons, you could listen in and learn the next grade levels stuff too which he loved. Yes, all of the math had to do w/ farms it seems. I'd love to see that book.
A friend found an old home ec book from the 50's and we rolled laughing. He thought it was great though! It said, " When your husband comes home after a hard days work, Greet him at the door cheerfully with his favorite beverage. Resist the urge to tell him any problems you had with your kids because they are minimal compared to what he has been doing. " (as if she hadn't been working. .)

Crazy3

Oh Summerwillcome
Old 01-04-2020, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have yet to stop laughing about that Home Ec book.

Summerwillcom

I only wish I could remember more...
Old 01-04-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just remember we read parts of it together. We both laughed hysterically, but I think he wished things were like that still. He just knew better than to say it.

Crazy3

Summerwillcom
Old 01-05-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was mistaken about my dad teaching 1-8. I asked him and he taught 1-12. No wonder he was scared. In 1 room also. Yea, life sure has changed. My dad ended up as an engineer and worked for years as a boss at Hydro and then went to other countries to oversee hydro electric projects being built as a consultant when he retired at 55. He was never the boss there, but mom and him sure had a great time seeing the world.

They are too old to travel now but the only countries they have not been to are Australia , NZ, and South Africa. SA was booked, but sadly mom had a series of mini strokes and had to cancel. She has never been the same since. Now they no longer are able to travel.

Summerwillcom

Crazy3
Old 01-05-2020, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am very sorry to hear about your mom's strokes. It has hard when parents get older. It is awesome that they have such good memories though to cherish.
Wow! I bet your dad at 18 was scared of 1-12. It is ironic how those old 1 room school houses turned out some pretty bright and successful students.
I think it had to do with DISCIPLINE! lol The teachers and parents would never allow what kids do today. It sounds like your parents really ended up w/ interesting lives. Mine did too.
They did not have some of the fears many of us have today that probably hold us back. My dad said he knew he could get a job anywhere and learn what he needed. It was not a false confidence either. He had so many unique jobs that most would never imagine in unique places too. I think my generation has more fear. Kids nowadays have no fear.....lol Not really funny because they have a lot of false confidences.