Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Adopting a cat or cats???

>

techgrad

Adopting a cat or cats???
Old 01-10-2020, 07:34 AM

So I am thinking about adopting a kitten or a pair of kittens. I want to get kitten age because I do have the twins and I want the cats to be very comfortable with kids.

So should I go for 1 or 2? I know they do better in pairs, but I think that might be crazy!

techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Cat adoption
Old 01-10-2020, 08:23 AM

Cats make wonderful pets. I wouldn't consider age so much as temperament. A full grown cat is also a good option, as by then you know the cat's personality and if she/he is more of a lover or more independent.

Some years ago I took home a very young kitten who was extremely playful to the point of attacking my legs as I walked across the room. It was summer and I wore shorts so my legs got plenty of scratches at the time. By the time he was a year old, he calmed down and became a wonderful and loving adult cat. A young kitten may or may not change as he matures.

I've had one and also two cats at the same time. Some cats like feline company, some don't. My current one doesn't, and that's fine with me. He lives with a Doberman and rules the roost.

PS. Let the cat's body grow and develop normally before you spay or neuter. I would wait until the age of at least eight to ten months.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

lacey2

Kittens
Old 01-10-2020, 09:45 AM

I would get two bonded kittens (probably from the same litter) from a shelter. This way, each one would have a playmate and would not be so focused on pestering you. They would wear each other out (and believe me, kittens are loaded with energy!) After they mature, they will still be bonded and will probably sleep with each other and keep each other company when you or the kids are not around.

As far as male or female, it doesn't matter much if they are already bonded as young kittens. I adopted 2 sister kittens and they got along just fine. I had one until age 17 and the other until age 19. I just loved them dearly!

Kittens are so much fun! Enjoy!
lacey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

1 or 2???
Old 01-10-2020, 10:15 AM

As someone who is owned by 6 cats (plus the neighborhood feral) I say the more the merrier!
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 01-10-2020, 12:35 PM

I would say two. The last two we got as kittens. They werenít from the same litter but have always gotten along. It is actually easier with two because they will keep each other company when you are at work. I know I will get two next time.

crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 01-10-2020, 02:22 PM

We have had cats for many years. Usually, just one at a time. After Labor Day, we got 2 kittens from the same litter from a foster lady.

We LOVE having 2! They play, eat, sleep, and groom each other. Best thing we have ever done was to get 2 kittens at the same time. When they can't see each other, they let out a special sound and the other kitten appears.

I vote for TWO!
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-10-2020, 03:18 PM

Like a pp said, I adopted an adult so that I knew what kind of personality I was getting. For me, cuddly is a must. All kittens like being held, but not all adult cats do. My childhood cat, who is still alive, was an adorably snugly kitten, but it didn't stick as an adult. He spends 90% of his time in the basement away from the family. Shelters should have information about which cats are good with kids.

As for one or two, I got one and I wish I would have gotten a bonded pair. That's what I'll do next time. I go out of town 4-5x per year and I feel so badly for my cat being left alone all of that time. Plus of course all day at work and if I have something going on in the evening as well. When you get two separately, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't (or they're just indifferent to each other). I would like having a bonded pair to know my cat wouldn't ever be lonely. Yes, I am a crazy cat lady and I think about these things!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 01-10-2020, 03:55 PM

I say get two! You wonít have any guilt when you leave them alone . One will be a terror, two wonít be any worse .
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 01-10-2020, 04:57 PM

My dream would be to have all the cats, but I canít be a crazy cat lady. 🤣

Ok. I think I will get 2.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I would recommend getting two
Old 01-11-2020, 04:00 AM

siblings, for all the reasons listed. Cats like companionship, so if you are gone all day, they like to have someone to hang with.

That said, I have owned one cat who had no use for any of the other three cats and two dogs I had at that time. She was a total people cat.

My current kitty is a rescue. He had been dropped off at my brother's Amish neighbor's farm and was on his own for almost a year. When we met, it was love at first sight. I will probably not get another cat, mostly because my sweetie doesn't want to have to take care of two when I go out of town.

This boy is friendly, demanding, and loves to play, but not a cuddler. He is about three now. He lets me pick him up for a snuggle now and then, but that lasts about 30-60 seconds. If he sits on the couch with us, he generally keeps his distance and will not let me put him on my lap. He still has trust issues.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote