Help

The VENT

That's your choice

>

DeDee76

That's your choice
Old 01-13-2020, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have written before about my student I affectionately refer to as "the screamer". His mother calls my LEA almost everyday. My LEA throws me under the bus and bows done to her agenda. I have been trying to get our school psychologist since October to get her paperwork done. Now mom says she has some ideas but only wants to meet with me and my aides, which shouldn't happen in special education. And she is now saying she won't send him to school until we have a meeting. She's a law suit waiting to happen. Does anyone know if I can invite my union rep to the meeting?

DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-13-2020, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Nope. Sped meeting. Have the whole team there. Call it “reviewing the IEP”.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Screamer
Old 01-13-2020, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The entire spec ed team should be present, including your LEA. It’s mom’s choice if she doesn’t send him to school. Nothing you can do about that. Eventually your LEA (I assume this is a principal) will have to get involved in the legalities of keeping child at home.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-13-2020, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

LEA is required by law. This woman is a nut-no meaningful changes can be made without LEA input. Hell even having my LEA there is often not enough to make a big change-she has to go to her boss and make sure its ok to say yes...that means meeting part 2...3...4...5 or whatever

I would say I am happy to schedule a meeting but we are required to have to at least 1 gen ed teacher, 1 sped teacher (or service provider where appropriate) , and representative of the local education agency.

Quote:
According to IDEA 2004, Section 1414(d)(1)(B), the IEP team includes:

(i) the parents of a child with a disability;

(ii) not less than 1 regular education teacher of such child (if the child is, or may be, participating in the regular education environment;

(iii) not less than 1 special education teacher, or where appropriate, not less than 1 special education provider of such child;

(iv) a representative of the local educational agency . . .

(v) an individual who can interpret the instructional implications of evaluation results . . .

(vi) at the discretion of the parent or the agency, other individuals who have knowledge or special expertise regarding the child, including related services personnel as appropriate; and

(vii) whenever appropriate, the child with a disability."

The authorization of any new law typically brings about a spate of interpretations and more questions. Certainly, IDEA 2004 will raise its fair share of questions. Self-styled experts may spread wrong interpretations, misinformation and deliberate disinformation. Do not rely on the opinions of others or advice you may find in articles or at training programs.

When you hear statements that don't make sense, you need to verify what the law says.

You can do this easily by referencing our new publication, The Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004: Overview, Explanation and Comparison of IDEA 2004 & IDEA 97.

In this 56 page publication, Pete Wright describes changes to the five key statutes in IDEA 2004. (The statute about Evaluations, Reevaluations, IEPs & IEP teams is Section 1414.)

IDEA 2004 did add a new subsection about "IEP Team Attendance:"

(C) IEP TEAM ATTENDANCE -

(i) ATTENDANCE NOT NECESSARY - A member of the IEP Team shall not be required to attend an IEP meeting, in whole or in part, if the parent of a child with a disability and the local educational agency agree that the attendance of such member is not necessary because the member's area of the curriculum or related services is not being modified or discussed in the meeting.

(ii) EXCUSAL - A member of the IEP Team may be excused from attending an IEP meeting, in whole or in part, when the meeting involves a modification to or discussion of the member's area of the curriculum or related services, if--

(I) the parent and the local educational agency consent to the excusal; and
(II) the member submits, in writing to the parent and the IEP Team, input into the development of the IEP prior to the meeting.

(iii) WRITTEN AGREEMENT AND CONSENT REQUIRED - A parent's agreement under
clause (i) and consent under clause (ii) shall be in writing.
In other word if the LEA says- nope, I need to be there then its not a legal meeting without them (and I cant imagine that they wouldn't think they need to be there since they are the one responsible for anything discussed at the meeting and paying for it-otherwise the teacher and I would just decide to give my kids everything I want for them and costs and other real world problems be damned )
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote