Help

Retired Teachers

Not wanting to be scheduled

>

aggie'swife

Not wanting to be scheduled
Old 01-15-2020, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Many people mention that they are busier in retirement than they were while working. That's not me, right now. I want to do things, but not on a schedule or a have to.

I met another retiree for an impromtu lunch yesterday. She has been retired now a year. (I just retired in May) So she doesn't want to commit to a schedule. That is where I am right now, too. We want to be free to go to an impromptu lunch, or if someone says, let's go shopping or a girl's vacation, we are free to go. Or if DD or DS say, I need you to come give some help with the grandkids, I want to be able to do that.

However, I would like to be able to do something like volunteer, but it seems that volunteers need to be scheduled or at least a commitment. Subbing, would be committing too, but maybe I can do just the pick up a sub job, that evening or morning. My only standing commitment right now is bible study, and morning walks, but of course, if I need to be gone, that is okay too.

Anyone else feel this way? Maybe it will go away after I have been retired for a few years?

aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-15-2020, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Me, too! Me, too! I feel exactly this way. I thought Id volunteer in retirement, but Im still (3+ years) greedily hoarding my free time.

I try not to schedule more than 1 thing a dayand it seems like something else always comes up, too. With walking and the chores of life, the rest of my time is for (often spontaneous) fun.

Im sooooo on your team!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 01-15-2020, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We do what works for us in retirement as we did what worked for us when we were younger. And sometimes we make changes along the way.

This topic of structured vs unstructured retirement has come up here fairly often. I don't think either group needs to defend the decisions they make or question what others do. There was enough of that with the working mom vs SAHM debate. We're different. We make different choices. Happy retirement to us all.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 01-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am finding I like a fairly open schedule. I am generally not a “get up and go” in the morning type of person. I like to do my exercises (at home, I have my own weight equipment and a treadmill for winter/inclement weather), and generally putz around. You know— important things like play with my cats, coffee, watch The View, iPad games......I usually don’t shower until around noon. Then I am ready for the day

I do volunteer a few hours a week at an animal shelter, but I had done that while working. The nice thing now is I do it on Tuesday rather than Sunday. Tuesday is my exception— that is in the morning.

I even find I prefer to go to church on Saturday afternoon so I don’t have to get going on Sunday morning.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-15-2020, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am exactly the same way! The only thing I have scheduled is having my grandson on Mondays. I would like to volunteer somewhere, but honestly I don't want to feel tied to a schedule. I like to read, sew, knit, and just do whatever I feel like at any given moment. I'm an introvert and homebody, and I'm quite happy with being that way.

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 01-15-2020, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is my second year of retirement and I feel much the same way. I sub about once or twice a month, but only in my old school, and only for days I know far in advance ( and Ive probably turned down more days than Ive accepted.)
I enjoy my exercise classes in the morning, meeting up with friends, and being available to watch my baby granddaughter, when needed.
But most of all, I like the flexibility to travel with my DH. We just came back from five wonderful days in Florida. We try to travel every month because my DH is on a quest to run a half marathon in every state. 23 states down. 27 to go.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

musiclover

Adding activities one at a time
Old 01-15-2020, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My first year I went to Bible study and a gym.

Six months later, I joined a community chorus (best decision in a long time!).

Six months later, I volunteered ay my former school, 2 hours a week. No more than that.

Six months later (now), I have joined a functional fitness program for older folks that emphases safety and fitness.

I now find that I have something scheduled 4 days a week, and that's enough for me. I too have grandkids and I want to be flexible in case the mommas need me for pickup or emergency sitting.

My advice is....take it slow.
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: retired schedule
Old 01-15-2020, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Good afternoon to all-

Of all the things I most appreciate in retirement, perhaps the one thing I appreciate most is my ability to live according to my own wishes and on my own time.
For 37 years I was in the saddle by 7:00 and fully scheduled all day until 4:00- or whenever after school duty was complete. Since I am not by nature nor inclination a "schedule" person, this was pretty hard for me.
After retirement, I get up when I want, and I make my own internal schedule, which generally amounts to I do something I want to do until i get tired or bored and then I do something else- even if that something else is to read a book and take a nap with a small black and white dog.
As far as not finding things to do- not a problem. I have more things to do than I can get done. Articles to write, gardens to weed, pine logs to chainsaw up, fish to catch- there's a great plenty of activities for me.

good day to all- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I am right there with you...
Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a retired teacher friend who feels she needs to follow schedule. She has a regular group she meets for coffee, she goes to the library for her games group, and she goes to the Senior Center. She is gone predictably from 9-1 every day doing the same scheduled things.

I have another retired friend who volunteers at a non-profit charity gift shop three days a month, two Tuesdays and one Saturday. The hours she works pretty much box up her day. If she can't make it, she is responsible for finding a substitute from a list. This would not be for me. I like my days especially my weekends, totally free and open.

I am right there with you. I have been retired for one an a half years. My days are largely unstructured, leaving me plenty of time for classes at the gym, meeting friends, scheduling appointments, and doing things around the house as I have the time and energy for. I also love being able to see first-run movies during the week when it is much less crowded and catching up on my reading. i also joined hiking group through Meetup, but can pick and choose which outings I want to participate in.

I did learn of a group in my area called The College Club. They raise money for charity, but have monthly meetings of a social nature, as well. I went to an author luncheon they sponsored and really liked the people I met. Their membership year runs from September till May, and it is pricey, so I will join in September. That way, I can satisfy my volunteerism need with them and not have a commitment like my friend who works at the gift shop.

Different strokes for different folks!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 01-16-2020, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you all for your comments.

Cassyree, I am sorry that you took my post as an us vs them question. That was not my intent. In fact, maybe I was feeling a little guilty and confused for the pleasure of not having a schedule, since everything in my life seemed to be always scheduled since forever ago. And of course, I guess I am still adjusting to retirement. ("Take it slow" -- I will take that advice.) I just wanted to see if there were others that maybe feel that way too. Not that one way is better or less than the other.

Love this:
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks!

aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 01-16-2020, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Whats great is my scheduled things are things I want to do. I still have my Monday me day and lots of time to read, craft, watch TV, etc.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote