Help

First Grade

Fundations Unit 10

>

smeag

Fundations Unit 10
Old 03-12-2017, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey everyone! I need a little help! I have to teach first grade Fundations Unit 10 for an interview lesson. I wasn't provided any materials, or a manual, so Google has been my best friend, however, I want to make sure that I will be teaching the right content!

Some online resources have Unit 10 as teaching Closed syllables with blends (5 sounds only) and adding on the suffix -s, but others also have the unit teaching -ed and -ing

Without my hands on an exact manual, I'm unsure exactly what to do since I've never taught Fundations. Also, for the drill, should I just review sound cards or something different for a later unit?

Any tips or resources for this unit are greatly appreciated

smeag is offline   Reply With Quote

Chimneygrl

Old 03-12-2017, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that you need to ask for the manual. Mine is right now at school, but there is different days and weeks per unit. You need to clear up what day/ week they want you to teach.

As for the drill you pick the cards you want them to do. Maybe 10 to 15. You have an owl and they repeat what you say. T top /t/ and they repeat it. At this time of the year I can hand the cards to one student and they lead the class.
Chimneygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
fran123

fran123

wow
Old 03-13-2017, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow- that's a pretty tough interview lesson to do! Anyway, will some prep, I'm sure you'll do great! I'm not sure if that school is using 1st Edition or 2nd Edition, but I'm holding the Teachers Guide for the 1st Edition right now and here's the gist!

Unit 10 practices writing closed syllables with 5 sounds. These are words that usually a blend at the beginning AND at the end of a word. For example, the word "slump" has a sl- blend at the beginning and a -mp blend at the end. We will also be adding the -s suffix to these words as well.

Sample words week 1: crisp, plump, drink
Sample words week 2: plants, shrimp, twists
Trick words (irregular words that need to be memorized)- many, before, called, how, your down, should, because, each

The 1st Edition does not introduce the -ed and -ing suffixes, so I wouldn't focus on that!

I would have the kids practice saying the words and then tapping the words out with their fingers, and then writing toe words or building them with letter tiles. You can search YouTube if you need help with what a Fundations lesson looks like!

readerleader

Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel for you, Smeag! How unfair to expect you to teach a lesson on a program that you have not even had exposure to. Fundations requires pretty strict adherence to the procedures in order to be implemented correctly. I would watch some videos online so that you understand how to do the tapping, letter drills, etc.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

smeag

Old 03-14-2017, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much. You have no idea how relieved I am to know that I've been prepping for the correct unit haha!

MrsWok

Old 03-15-2017, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't understand how you're supposed to teach this if you don't have a manual. Could you request a sample of the manual? If not, let me know and I will scan a lesson for you. Unit 10 is a 3 week long unit and each week covers a different skill which is why there are different suffixes.

Are you doing the lesson in a classroom? If so, I would ask if I could have the contact info for the teacher and see her routines for Fundations. I know my students have a very strict routine for this time. Good luck and let me know if you need anything!
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

smeag

Old 03-20-2017, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi MrsWok! Would you be willing to scan Unit 10 for me, please? The issue is that I currently live in Florida, and I am interviewing in NJ! I have a couple more weeks to prepare, but I just want to make sure that I'm teaching around the same content that the students will be working on when I fly into NJ in April. If you could, I would appreciate it soooo much!