Help

The VENT

NO work turned in!!!

>

2teach2

NO work turned in!!!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those of you doing Distance Learning, are you having an issue with getting students to turn in work? We have 3 independent work periods during the day, and students have assignments for each period. They are listed on Google Classroom by day and time. I go over what the assignment is before I release them to independent work. I've called parents, texted parents on Class Dojo, I've tried putting assignments actually on Google Docs so students can turn in on Google Classroom, I've offered help on Zoom every day........Nothing! This morning I sent a politely worded Class Dojo text reminding parents that since we are doing Distance Learning for the foreseeable future, it is crucial that students are completing their independent work so I can monitor their progress. I pointed out that only 11 students actually turned in any work yesterday, which meant that 11 students turned in NOTHING. Today, even FEWER than 11 students actually turned in work. Do parents think this is a vacation??? What the heck? Are any of you having success getting students to turn in work? Any tips?

2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I was in the hospital lab
Old 09-22-2020, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

today, getting blood drawn. There was a teenage girl there almost bragging that she was 35 assignments behind. She hasn't turned in one assignment.
School's only been open for two weeks (and a day.) She said she was to busy with tik-tok and insta!

Parents are going to have to take some responsibility here.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 09-22-2020, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Only half our kids are turning in assignments. We send out a survey to parents asking about workload, and they respond by telling us what they want is MORE work. No, I think what you want is more Zoom class time, when you don't have to actively watch your kid.

Tomorrow is our independent day of learning and I literally assigned nothing but "do your missing assignments."

At some point, you can only do what you do. Reflect the missing work on the report card and at conferences, and move on. Someday they will deal with the fallout from being this lazy.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 09-22-2020, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would be marking my grade book with -0- and be done with it. When asked, tell them the truth that you received no work. I know we have to let students turn in late work, however I would give student the lowest grade I could for late work.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
maestracansa

maestracansa

You are not alone!
Old 09-22-2020, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a student who has turned in 0% of his work, so I know where you're coming from. I have sent enough messages to parents, so I am done doing that. I did document all of my efforts with calling parents on Synergy (our attendance/communication/student info platform), and sent messages to the counselor for support. That's enough effort on my part. We are already bending over backwards to get the job done via distance. Do not stress out about it. I have the usual students turn in their work. The rest are not, and I've let parents know. It is up to the parents to get them to do the work, since we are not there and we truly cannot provide incentives, right?! It is unfortunate, but we also need to take care of ourselves and save our sanity.

ChessandCheck

parents taking responsibility
Old 09-22-2020, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

i started my own vent on another thread and opted to delete it, yet here is the topic again. i will try to be brief.

my own mother stopped checking my work in fourth grade. getting my assignments done was my job, not hers.

part of the problem, as far as i can tell, is that the way education works currently allows students to get away with too much, and supports them in taking too little responsibility. too many reminders, too many extensions, too many second chances, too lenient grading policies and promotion policies. it supports parents in bullying teachers and administrators into getting their way.

past a certain age and developmental level, kids should not need to be micromanaged and hand-held into doing their work. do any of you in middle age or older remember your educational experience being anything like this?

now kids are in a situation with more distraction and fewer adults telling them what to do every moment of the day. they were not expected to step up before - why is anyone surprised at how distance learning is going?
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 09-23-2020, 12:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You might consider rewording your message. When you say only 11 students turned something in, it sounds like a lot of students turned in nothing. I think that sometimes makes people think, ďIf nobody else is doing it, I donít have to either.Ē

I usually try to word things more like, ď I want to thank all of you who have gotten caught up on your assignments. I know youíll be proud of the good grades you have earned! We have a couple of people who still need to catch up. Please remember that you only have X number of days and that unfinished assignments will earn a 0.Ē

Just a thought. I know this is a frustrating problem for me, and for everyone else. Why canít people just do what theyíre supposed to?
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Work
Old 09-23-2020, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So glad to see that it is not just me or my district.

I think Izzy hit it on the head that parents want more virtual babysitting.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-23-2020, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
At some point, you can only do what you do. Reflect the missing work on the report card and at conferences, and move on. Someday they will deal with the fallout from being this lazy.
. Agree!

I also think we baby kids way too much. My parents didn't check all of my assignments. They were busy themselves! The expectation was that we did our work. If we didn't and a teacher actually had to reach out and contact them, we paid the consequences and they were not fun. Much of this is on the families to figure out. Maybe it will open people's eyes. (I doubt it. I am watching parents sit through hours and hours of school- why do they think they need to do that?).
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-23-2020, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm documenting everything to cover my butt. I'm documenting when kids don't show up. I'm documenting when I call, email, etc. Our P wants us to call more and I can just see teachers cringing. Calling is the worst documentation wise.

At some point, we can only do what we can do. I agree with PP, accountability has gone by the wayside. I think this distance learning is shining a bright light on that. And, many districts have a policy that the lowest grade you can give is a 50% so it doesn't matter. Many districts have a no fail policy. Many districts have a policy that you can't count homework/classwork against them. Regardless, no accountability. And, kids and parents aren't taking this distance learning thing seriously.

I refuse to work harder than the kids.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 09-23-2020, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

YES!!!
I teach middle school and we're in the middle of the third week of school. Kids are a hot mess.
We have three classes a day. 45 minutes of live instruction, 45 minutes of independent work with me there as a resource. I make a video of my mini lesson and post it, listing the assignments that are due.
I email parents, telling them what work is due.
Then I email everyone telling them that grades are in and to please check to see if they are missing any assignments.
It's helped with a few but there's huge numbers of kids who are still missing stuff. They will be surprised with their grades.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 09-23-2020, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
. I also think we baby kids way too much. My parents didn't check all of my assignments. They were busy themselves! The expectation was that we did our work. If we didn't and a teacher actually had to reach out and contact them, we paid the consequences and they were not fun. Much of this is on the families to figure out.
All it ever took was one phone call home to my parents and to me as a parent.

When I was in the classroom I had strict guidelines. It was all written out and signed by student and parent so there was no misunderstanding. All I had to do was pull out my little document and say...well you did sign that you understood. I had a parent call me harsh. She later, couple years, apologized because her child was so organized and prepared compared to siblings and friends.

I did allow for "excuses" the beginning of the year as we were figuring things out. These times are crazy. Parents want kids to learn, but they don't want to be a parent. Educating a child takes all 3..teacher, student, & parent!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Now, now, Folks!
Old 09-23-2020, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Unless you have entered a Google Classroom as a student and done this, it is sooooo much harder than it seems. I am surprised you are getting ANY work turned in.

We started the year F2F with precautions. We had regular schedules and different teachers per period like usual.

After a drastic upsurge in cases, isolations and quarantines, in order to stay open, we went to Level Yellow and formed CoHorts. Now I have a group of students ALL day long. Since they are NOT switching classes, the teachers from the other classes are putting the assignments in GC and expecting the CoHort teachers to assist those students in doing the work.

IT IS A NIGHTMARE!! By the time we get it pulled up, opened in the right platform by the right online tools, made copies of those assignments as necessary, did the work, found where the document stored to, attached to the Assignment and turned it in, I was frazzled. That's not even counting the cases where something is produced off line and needs a picture or video added. GEEZ!

There are many extra steps in there. And I am a college educated adult in the education setting!! I have my own GC that I am loading assignments into. I thought I understood the process too.

It doesn't help that some of the Chromebooks allow the Kami extension, some allow Doc Hub and some do not allow any...we are still trying to figure it all out.

If teachers forget to select "Make a copy for each student" and fail to teach them how to make a copy for themselves, the first student who opens it and completes it, has completed it for everyone...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 09-23-2020, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Lottalove, I have I have google classroom from a students perspective when assisting my own children. It sounds like you are experiencing some frustrations and I am sympathetic, but it is not so difficult to manage that students cannot turn in work.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 09-23-2020, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Lottalove,

I agree completely with you! It is way easier for us educator parents to help our kids. All of my knowledge with word processing, saving documents, creating my own tables, forms, sharing documents, etc. We have so much background knowledge.

Iíve been saying to my husband that I donít know how parents, not using a lot of tech in their jobs, can do this. We take for granted that adults know this stuff but a lot of parents donít. Itís hard on families and they need plenty of grace. Imagine families that have a different primary language. Yes, Lottalove, plenty of grace for everyone!!

KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-23-2020, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Lottalove, I gotta respectfully disagree. Iíve taught 3rd grade for the last 8 years and Iíve been using GC pretty much since it first came out. My kids, from the highest to the lowest and my bilingual kids who speak no English have managed to get papers submitted.

If teachers forget to make a copy (and Iím guilty of it), itís easy enough to fix.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 09-23-2020, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I agree that times have changed and expectations are lower than they were years ago. My mother was a teacher herself and she never worked on homework with me. She read to me as a child so I had strong reading skills, but I was responsible for my own work.

Also I remember busting my butt in classes and ending up getting a B plus in some classes though I was only one point away from an A minus. The teachers would not budge and give me the A minus or allow me to do something extra for the one point. My mother never complained to my teachers about that either. Parents didnít complain in those days, the school and teachers were always right. I was always trying to please them and was embarrassed if I did not do well on an assignment.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-23-2020, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We are on week 5. Some kids have yet to turn in one thing.

Emails not checked. Phones not in service or just not answered.

A few parents & guardians are pulling the, ďbut I canít make himĒ routine.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Beige

Old 09-23-2020, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

The whole ďmy kid hasnít submitted anything because they donít know how to use Google ClassroomĒ is baloney in my opinion. These kids can figure out Minecraft, Fortnite, Snapchat, Tik Tok, and who know what else. They can figure out Google Classroom.
Mrs. Beige is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Mrs.Beige,
Old 09-24-2020, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

totally agree! And if this 57-year old teacher can figure it out, I would think that my probably 20-something parents could figure it out. It's a one-stop-shop, people!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

This warms my heart
Old 09-28-2020, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I've been getting so down, upset, angry, pissed, you name it. Four honors classes and one non honors. Each class has half the students failing. I think they're banking that they're being lied to and the no harm grading is continuing this year. I'm frustrated.
Hifiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Seekinghappy

Same problem
Old 10-01-2020, 12:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I have my usual students turning stuff in daily, but a lot that are doing nothing. I have kids who turn in blank assignments or just go through without reading anything and guess. I have so many Fs in my gradebook right now. Itís impossible for me to be as effective as I would like between teaching online and in person for 5 classes a day. I havenít been documenting and calling as much because there are not enough hours in the day. Then I am not sleeping well because of the stress. Wearing a mask all day isnít helping either.
Seekinghappy is offline   Reply With Quote