Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Why do I save bags?

>

amiga13

Why do I save bags?
Old 10-22-2020, 01:11 PM

Iím pretty good at being clutter-free, except for bags. Why do I feel the need to save bags?

The cupboard was bulging (seriously! the doors werenít completely closing), so I just did a ruthless clean out. I only saved reusable bags (in many sizes), thick plastic grocery bags, and a few packing envelopes.

Now, the challenge is going to be to stop saving them. Does anyone else have a hard time trashing bags?

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

mhugs

bag
Old 10-22-2020, 01:30 PM

Wow! Now I know a real Bag Lady!

We save a few bubble envelopes and bubble packing stuff for our overseas mailings.
Before Covid we were using cloth/heavy plastic tote bags for groceries and kept them in the car.

When Covid hit stores went back to throw away plastic bags. They can be recycled here.

We are doing grocery pick-up and the food comes in large brown paper bags with handles. Those we are saving every week. I could have used them as a teacher....
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 10-22-2020, 01:30 PM

I save WalMart bags for trash can liners and bread bags for scooping the litter box. I still have a mound of bags! But as soon as I purge them, someone will need bags. You know that is how that always works.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Bags
Old 10-22-2020, 01:45 PM

I try to get paper at the store when I was using Instcart. Now that I'm shopping again, I bring my own, put the groceries in the cart and bag them at the trunk of my car. Takes a little time, but I don't end up with all those bags.
anabel12 is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 10-22-2020, 01:57 PM

Bags. Supermarkets had bins to recycle them here until Covid hit. The recycle bins disappeared and have not returned as of yet. So I have bags of bags in my trunk waiting for the bin reappearance.

I do use some as small trash can liners and have a metal hanger on one of the lower kitchen doors to use them as a small trash can. I like the fact that it forces me to take the trash out often.

Before Covid, when exercise class was still operating, a woman in one of my classes collected the bags. She belonged to a knitting group. They would cut the bags into strips and knit sleeping mats for the homeless. The mat would insulate the sleeper from the ground. It rolled up small and was easy to carry.

marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

jeffie

Old 10-22-2020, 02:05 PM

I do save the plastic bags from the grocery store to line 2 trash cans. I dump them at least once a day and keep a few in each vehicle.
jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 10-22-2020, 02:07 PM

I also save bags. I've always been glad I did. I try to store most of my reusables in the trunk of my car so I'll have them when I need them.

When I used to teach, my stash of plastic bags came in pretty handy at times. When my kid's county stopped using plastic bags before ours, they and all their college friends used to take a stash home to use as trash bags when they left my house. My stash was going down because I tried to use mostly reusables. Then our county stopped using them altogether and I was actually almost through my stash. Since Covid hit and they started using plastic again, I've been restocking.

I don't know what I'm going to use to line my small trash bins when I'm out!

My favorite bags are the sturdy little bags our pharmacy at the drs. office uses. I use them as trash bags in my car.

.....and don't even get me started on my used baggie collection... I'm a dog owner! (The little pharmacy bags work for that too, but I scold my DH for using my "good bags!")
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 10-22-2020, 02:13 PM

PS - a question about how you store your thin plastic grocery bags?

I wad them up. My husband folds them. My mom used to fold them into intricate little triangles - something she read once in a magazine and did religiously. (I have to admit they really do take up less space, but I can't bring myself to bother.) We have had many healthy debates about the best way over the years.

Izzy23

Old 10-22-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Before Covid, when exercise class was still operating, a woman in one of my classes collected the bags. She belonged to a knitting group. They would cut the bags into strips and knit sleeping mats for the homeless.
This is such a great idea! I know people who do the same thing, only they make bags out of them, with a strap. I have one and I use it for the beach. Very sturdy! And it doesn't really get messy!

I love when people can find ways to reuse plastic bags.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I save plastic bags, cause I use them
Old 10-22-2020, 02:31 PM

for my castor oil packs. I save paper grocery bags b/c I use them in the bathroom wastebasket. I save reusable bags... I have no idea why, b/c I always forget to take them to the grocery store.

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-22-2020, 02:38 PM

I save plastic bags. They aren't great for the environment so I figure the least I can do is to reuse them (I try to avoid getting plastic bags at all). We use them for the bathroom trash cans, picking up dog poop, and carrying things. We get a lot of use out of the decent ones. Some of them are so thin they barely even make it home in one piece with groceries.

MKat- wow, triangles?? We have an old garbage can that has a step on lid and we just shove them in there It sits next to the recycling, and when we run out of little compostable poop bags or need to use a bag, we just grab one from the garbage can. I'm not sure what else is in that can- I don't remember anymore- but I get a little anxious every time we are very low on bags because I don't know what we'll find halfway down the can
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

More organized
Old 10-22-2020, 02:57 PM

Yours are more organized than mine. I save them too!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 10-22-2020, 03:08 PM

I was curious if anyone else besides my mother does the triangle thing with plastic bags, so I googled. TONS of youtube videos on how to fold your plastic bags into triangles. It's a thing!

Some day in the future archaeologists will find stashes of little plastic bag triangles and spend years trying to figure out their purpose.

NJ Teacher

Yes, but...
Old 10-22-2020, 03:14 PM

I have a dog. I use the plastic grocery bags for pet waste, and also when I am prepping to cook for food waste, especially from veggies. The larger bags I use when I take recyclables to our condo's recycle center.

The passed a bag law in NJ where both paper and plastic single use bags will be banned, so I am hanging on to the ones I have to use as long as possible. Do you have a place to recycle those bags? Several of our grocery stores have a bin that accepts them.

I do have many reusable bags I used to use for my groceries before Covid. The last time I was at Trader Joes, which is big on recycling, we were told we couldn't use them. I think they were going back to accepting reusable bags the following week. Now, I just tend to use them when I am at Aldi, which does not give the customer any bags at all.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-22-2020, 03:17 PM

My daughter in law from Japan taught us to fold our plastic bags. It saves a lot of space, but eventually we have to decide when enough us enough and get ride of them. I like the idea of braiding bags to create mats or other items.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Scientists have
Old 10-22-2020, 03:19 PM

proven most women have a strong "just in case" gene that translates to squirreling away shipping boxes - perfect for shipping birthday, Christmas gifts, and care packages, bags of all kinds and large mailing envelopes. This gene is passed down to all female offspring, but often does not reveal itself until after the age of forty.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 10-22-2020, 03:23 PM

I haven't used or had plastic bags in a long time. We do most of our shopping at Costco and use biodegradable bags for doggie doo doo. My mom and mother-in-law have these fabric tube things they stuff them in and you pull them out the bottom like Kleenex. I don't know what they use them for, but they save them. Those tubes are packed.
MalloryJames is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-22-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Some day in the future archaeologists will find stashes of little plastic bag triangles and spend years trying to figure out their purpose
This made me so much! I'll bet you're right! I kind of wonder sometimes if these things we've found from ages past are not at all as significant as we think they are. Perhaps we're found the equivalent of plastic bag triangles
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-22-2020, 03:47 PM

I have two of those fabric tubes that I stuff with the grocery store plastic bags. (Made them myself) One is by the litter boxes for when I scoop the boxes. and the other is in the garage. I use them to line small waste baskets and to put smelly food packages in ówhich I put in the freezer until garbage day.

I try not to accumulate too many. Like many other PTers, pre COVID I used my reusable bags. Canít wait until I can use them again.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

trasie

Bags
Old 10-22-2020, 03:49 PM

I save them but will be using them (and asking friends for their excess) this winter to make sleeping mats for the homeless. Itís a great way to recycle them.

Hereís one of many links:
https://diyways.com/how-to-crochet-s...-the-homeless/
trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

homeless mats
Old 10-22-2020, 04:00 PM

I save the plastic bags and give them to a friend who makes the mats for the homeless. We leave them on her porch and she doesn't keeps them in her garage for several days before she uses them because of covid.
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

kim1231

Sleeping bags for the homeless
Old 10-22-2020, 04:26 PM

That is so cool! I wonder if ladies from my church would like a new project.
kim1231 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-22-2020, 05:13 PM

I avoid most plastic bags including those in the vegetable/fruit department of the store however I do have quite a collection of washable shopping bags of various sizes. If a pretty one is on display at the store,I can't help myself and do buy it.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 10-22-2020, 05:28 PM

I am honestly shocked at how many of you (apparently) are given plastic bags when you shop. They have been banned for years where I live.
CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 10-22-2020, 05:38 PM

Bags, boxes, gift bags... I might have some serious hoarding tendencies.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-22-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK2
I am honestly shocked at how many of you (apparently) are given plastic bags when you shop. They have been banned for years where I live.
Plastic bags were banned here before Covid. We used to bring our own reusable bags to the grocery store, but plastic was deemed safer (for baggers and customers) during the pandemic. We are not allowed to bring our bags into the store. Shoppers here also have the option of no bag; their groceries go directly into the shopping cart and those customers put their stuff in reusable bags they keep in their trunks.

I look forward to the day we can use our own bags again.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

TeachingSarah

Amiga
Old 10-22-2020, 05:45 PM

See if you can donate the plastic bags to someone who can use them. In my province, we have people that cut up the bags in long strips and crochet them into mats. These mats are given to homeless shelters to distribute to the homeless.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/how-a-s...less-1.5154563
TeachingSarah is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 10-22-2020, 05:55 PM

That makes sense! I should have thought of that, amiga. Since COVID they banned personal bags here for a while, but we can use them again now or keep getting paper bags.
CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

beaver

Plastic bags
Old 10-22-2020, 06:04 PM

I always had a box of plastic bags and an assortment of tissue boxes in my classroom. The kids loved to fold the bags and put them in the tissue boxes. Easy to store and easy to remove a bag for their library books, wet clothes or shoes that need to be sent home.
beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 10-25-2020, 09:40 AM

I totally have you beat on being a bag lady! We keep reusable shopping bags in a closet in the car port as well as the trunks of each car. I seriously think those bags just reproduce like rabbits!

I started putting dirt in some of them during my covid gardening stint and growing veggies in them- but it turns out many of them are biodegradable so now I have little piles of garden mixed with scraps of bag. DH is not thrilled with that failed experiment (but at least my garden bags didn’t reproduce).

On top of that I have school bags, gym bags, and beach bags. I have an unhealthy addiction to bags.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote