Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Sign of impending viral surge?

>

amiga13

Sign of impending viral surge?
Old 06-19-2020, 08:53 AM

I was lambasted here for my interest in the Stock Market, but I remain fascinated and just read this:
Quote:
Stocks rolled over to trade lower on Friday after Apple said it will reclose some stores in Florida and Arizona given their recent spikes in coronavirus cases.
Are we in for it?

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 06-19-2020, 08:56 AM

We definitely are going the wrong direction here in Arizona! (Who lambasted you for your stock market interest? I check it all the time and read articles about it. So far our retirement accounts have mostly recovered, but who knows what the future will be. I think it makes sense to follow it.)
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 06-19-2020, 09:59 AM

I think with the virus and the upcoming election the stock market will be bumpy for awhile.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 06-19-2020, 10:04 AM

My county, not known for its enlightened thought, average educational level, or willingness to wear a wimpy mask, has gone from a high of 8 COVID local hospitalizations in April and May to 25 presently with 3 requiring ventilators. Our percentage of positive tests has risen from 3% to 12% which indicates a spike in cases, not just an increase in testing.

I got new glasses today and I'm seeing the dentist Monday. I'm attempting to take care of all important appointments, purchases,and maintenance quickly-just in case.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 06-19-2020, 10:06 AM

I don't know about the stock market very much, but we are not doing good in AZ at all. today our increase was something like 3,400 new cases, and it just continues to increase exponentially. Our governor wouldn't issue a mask mandate, but many of the cities and towns have issued it finally, including my city. So that's helpful, some.

I'm not surprised Apple will be closing some stores here. I wish we were still on some kind of Stay at Home order, honestly, because people are just living normally and it's terrible.

KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

Covid 19
Old 06-19-2020, 10:18 AM

Our local numbers have increase 19.6% since last week. There are now 1,143 confirmed cases and 33 deaths.

We live in SW GA, and according to what I have read our numbers have been on a rise since the governor opened our state. Hubby and I do not leave the house without masks and hand sanitizer. Cannot say the same for others.
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 06-19-2020, 10:23 AM

Teachers who lambast the stock market are short sighted because almost all of the teachers retirement systems are heavily invested in the stock market in one way or another. We should be cheering for the stock market because the better it does the more sound our retirements are. Maybe those that did the lambasting weren’t aware of this tidbit. Just maybe...
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

Old 06-19-2020, 10:26 AM

GHVFAN...Southeast Georgia here and it is not much better. It is like the virus is just gone! People are not wearing masks. Social distancing in stores are out the window! Not to mention all the people in the streets.
I foresee our numbers jumping dramatically in the coming weeks. I know testing has increased, which will impact the rise in numbers, but I believe hospitalizations have increased as well.
It makes me very nervous about school starting since we start so early!
Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

I don't know...
Old 06-19-2020, 10:36 AM

New York et al suffered horrendously, and with it we had a roller coaster of hits and gains. I do feel that the real crisis will come with extended unemployment and the ripple effect.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 06-19-2020, 11:15 AM

I am sorry you were criticized about the stock market. I watch it daily for mine and my DH's accounts. I will say I moved over several accounts of DH's earlier this year with it being an election year, my dad told me the stock market always goes nuts during an election. Then Covid hit and boy was I glad to have listened to his advice. Dad goes to a financial planner and I follow his lead. My Dh and I both have several years yet to work but it is a scary time for everyone both health wise and financially. I am sure we will probably see big swings both ways until this virus is better managed although I am not sure when that will be with our society the way it is.

sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-19-2020, 12:35 PM

Well, not to get political, but I heard the reason we have spikes is because there is more testing being done. If we weren’t doing more testing we wouldn’t see the spikes (in something like 20 states).
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Christi508

Florida
Old 06-19-2020, 12:52 PM

In my county today two restaurants closed voluntarily because of our numbers spiking.
Christi508 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 06-19-2020, 01:11 PM

I’m also in Florida and all I can say it that’s is a hot mess here. It’s not a second wave... we never finished the first wave. I’m not going out much but it’s hit or miss on masks. The county immediately next to mine is making masks mandatory indoors starting tomorrow.

My county has said over and over again that the rise is cases is NOT due to increased testing. We are actually testing less people, many of the drive thru testing sites have closed due to lack of use. They have now had to open “pop up” testing sites as we have new hot spots in the county.

Hot mess.

(A Starbucks down the road and a steakhouse both closed for deep cleaning this week. One had 4 employees test positive and the other had 2.)
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Spikes and testing
Old 06-19-2020, 01:16 PM

Well, Catwoman, it certainly is true that if we did less testing, we would have fewer CONFIRMED cases. However, that would not cut the number of hospitalizations, the number of people in ICUs or the number of deaths.

One of the statistics that is followed closely by health experts is the % of tests that are positive. In Illinois, for example, the % of tests that are positive has decreased from almost 24% back in April to 2.8% now. What that means is that way more people are being tested and we can identify sources of infection before they spread the virus to lots more people in their families, work, stores, etc.

When things started, there was not the capability of testing many suspected cases. The tests were being reserved for the most critical situations and for health care workers.

In part because of improved testing (as well as staying at home, using masks, etc.), the rate of spread in our state has declined from 2.2 (a steep increase in number of cases) to .8 (which shows a decreasing number of illnesses.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 06-19-2020, 02:03 PM

I pay attention to the number of ICU beds in use for Covid patients, ventilator use, deaths, and percent positive cases. All going up in AZ.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

oreocat

Metro Atlanta...
Old 06-19-2020, 02:22 PM

I live in the county with the most cases in the state of Georgia. I know we have the second largest population, but there are several hot spots around the county where they said that over 30% of the cases are positive. No one wears masks. People do not even follow the social distanting markers in the stores. I really do not think it will be safe to start school in early August. That should be everyone's goals. If schools are not open, society is not fully open. The governor's orders will not allow counties to set their own orders so they cannot make mask wearing mandatory. The stock market's and economy's health goes hand in hand with a healthy and safe country. For some reason, some lawmakers do not recognize that fact. Many states opened too soon with not enough guidelines put in place. I think the policy now in many places is too let it burn through the state. God help us all in these surging states.
oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 06-19-2020, 02:39 PM

Here in Washington state the Covid19 numbers are going up again. Over 400 new cases today. Partly it is because we are seeing cases in more rural areas. I think there are also other economic factors at play. The govenor announced a huge budget deficit due to the business closures and tax revenues down, and some businesses are starting with a smaller workforce, or just not reopening. I think the market will be volitile for a while. I check the market, but not daily. It's too upsetting.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I hope things get better...
Old 06-19-2020, 03:03 PM

NJ is one of three states doing well currently in controlling the virus. We have worked very hard to flatten the curve, although the economy is in shambles. I fear for all those who have lost their jobs, or cannot pay their mortgage or rent.

What worries me is the summer season. People travel a lot between the NY-NJ metro area all the time, and I hope they don't bring the virus with them. We have followed the science here, while other states rushed to open despite not having data to back up the decisions.

I worry about the rally in Oklahoma, as well. All those people indoors in an enclosed space with no masks required is scary to me. And those people are attending from all over.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

New Jersey
Old 06-19-2020, 03:23 PM

I also worry about people coming from Florida for the summer. What I’m hearing from Florida is not good.
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
CatLove
Old 06-19-2020, 03:37 PM
This message has been deleted by CatLove.

GHVFAN

Peaches250
Old 06-19-2020, 04:27 PM

I agree! The district that my grandchildren attend has not yet given a start date.
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 06-20-2020, 05:38 AM

Peaches250{Southeast Georgia here and it is not much better. It is like the virus is just gone! People are not wearing masks. Social distancing in stores are out the window! Not to mention all the people in the streets. I foresee our numbers jumping dramatically in the coming weeks}

Northwest Georgia here and it is the same in my small town. Most people just act as if it doesn't exist. I have sat in my car and watched for a few minutes outside several stores and MAYBE 1/4 or less of people going in are wearing masks. Cases are going up by 10-15 a day in my town and in the larger town next door by 50-60 cases per day. How can people just ignore it?
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Stocks & Coronavirus
Old 06-21-2020, 12:21 PM

I don't personally follow the stock market, but my brother in law is essentially a day trader. He predicted things would get as bad as they did back in early February based on what he was seeing on the stock market and various world reports (and I rolled my eyes because I didn't believe him)....and then there was that big crash the last week of February that was kind of the big "ah-ha" for the world about Covid. So maybe there's some truth to it?
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-21-2020, 10:31 PM

I was talking to my parents today and my mom is very convinced we're heading for another shutdown. She told me to buy toilet paper .

I was saying I honestly don't think people will do a lock down again and my dad feels the same. Please note- I am not arguing for or against lock down, just saying based on what I've seen and heard that I don't see people being willing to do it again. And I think if restaurants and other businesses are forced to shut down completely, there is just no way they can recover. I think the situation would have to be beyond dire for any governor to order that.

I have some investments. I don't check daily because that would stress me out, but I do look occasionally. As of today I've recovered some lost money but am still quite a bit behind where I was in Jan. I am extremely fortunate to be in a position where I have no plans to use that money any time soon/for the time being don't need it.

I have bigger concerns about how the market will impact our retirement system- every time it dips below a certain amount, teachers have to start paying more into the system. I also have big concerns about the economy in general and how a poor economy impacts public education. My state's budget is in so much trouble and we were in full lock down mode for less than 2 months. If there is a bigger/longer second wave I don't see how we come back from it. Even when it looked like things were moving in a positive direction (still are in my state, but IDK how long that continues with things going so poorly in neighboring states) districts were saying they'll be insolvent for 21-22 unless there are some major positive funding changes.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote