Help

Teachers' Lounge

Tough conversations with daycare director

>

Zephie

Tough conversations with daycare director
Old 06-28-2020, 06:46 AM

I had 2 tough conversations with my director this week:

1. I thought I saw a staff member take a swat at a kid, so I checked the time on my watch and had her check the videos. Luckily, the video showed the staff member swatted at the air near her face, and not near the ground where the kid was who had just kicked her.

I know a lot of people would not have said a thing to the director, but all I saw was the hand coming up out of the corner of my eye and the kid started screaming right after. I take being a mandated reporter seriously.

2. It is very realistic that schools may be going to a hybrid model this first quarter. I sat down and explained what hybrid will look like in this area and we talked about what a school aged program would look like if this happens/when it most likely will happen.

We talked about what the center would need to do to ensure the kids could do school work at the center - improved internet access, table set ups, staffing needs, etc.

Her face was so dejected and her face was so sad. This has been so hard for the staff this year and they have worked so hard to keep us open. Its an impossible situation and she admits that adding something like this is necessary, but hard.

Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

Peaches250

I have
Old 06-28-2020, 06:54 AM

been in a similar situation as the first one. I hated it. However as a sped teacher I knew if I was questioning the little bit that I saw, I needed to report it so that those in charge could check it out. Come to find out, there were issues. I felt bad all the way around, but I knew that was part of advocating for my student.

I have been trying very hard not to stress over the upcoming year, but it is getting close. Anxiety is starting to pick up and we have no plan yet from my district.
Peaches250 is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 06-28-2020, 07:57 AM

You did the right thing. I have had to go to my principal before when I saw a teacher go what I felt was over the line while disciplining a student. I'm glad it turned out not to be what you first thought.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 06-28-2020, 08:30 AM

Good for you for going to the director about the child just in case. I am so glad the child wasn’t actually swatted. Being a mandated reporter IS a very serious Responsibility.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-28-2020, 11:20 AM

Good for you for taking the report seriously! I'm glad there was an easy way to check it out, and that nothing untoward actually happened.

It does stink that things are so hard for so many people and businesses. I hate Covid.

TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 06-28-2020, 12:52 PM

The center recently had a "self reported critical" during a week I didn't work. All I knew was I came into work and a staff member was no longer employed. I actually went to check the state website to verify what happened - I dont get into other peoples business during work hours unless I have a concern.

Needless to say, there was a reason we all had to redo some training this past week.

When it comes down to safety, especially after a false acussation against myself when I had no videos to protect me at my previous school, I make sure I handle things correctly. What if that kid had gotten hit and I was in the room and saw it? It would be my future on the line.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-28-2020, 06:41 PM

I know it was a hard thing to do, but you absolutely did the right thing.

(((HUGS)))

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote