Help

Substitute Teachers

What makes you say "I will not sub here again"

>

Zulbi

What makes you say "I will not sub here again"
Old 10-27-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As I started to sub this year, I am finding myself crossing school out of my list..

1. A VERY long/unorganized/unnecessary dismissal procedure
2. Rude secretary/ team members
3. Bad kids
4. Long drive
5 NO lesson plans.

Zulbi is offline   Reply With Quote

bagano1

Old 10-27-2019, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't like to do this, but if the school is totally out of control, don't go there. Find the easy schools and only go there unless you're trying to get hired somewhere.

I'd also say that any problems with maintaining control aren't really your fault, to be honest. I've seen schools where I was on top of the kids all hour and they owned me and others where I could have sat in a corner, fallen asleep, and there would be a pile of papers waiting for me, kids all seated according to the chart with zero issues.

I've gone to the PD days for this school that has very bad kids and it pretty much shows why the whole district is a fiasco. They're more concerned with making excuses for these kids than preparing them for reality. It's tragic. They also hire people who lack any ability to relate to the kids, which makes matters worse. I'm stuck there for a long time though, so nothing I can do.
bagano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

You ge the same pay
Old 10-27-2019, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Within most districts you get the same pay for a hard class as you do for an easy one ó so skip those hard ones. My school district, however, does give a $25 per day bonus for subbing in title 1 schools, so thatís something. Not enough for me, but I know subs who purposely pick those schools to get more $.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-27-2019, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are they switching assignments on me? Do they always make me cover for people on every prep period?

I try to give every school a couple of chances, maybe kids are having a bad day, the teacher didn’t have time to make good plans, etc.

There are a few schools where the teachers would tell me first thing that subs never come back. Unfortunately, that turned out to be case for a few. It was schools with out of control kids and revolving admin. Like someone else said, you don’t get anything extra for busting your ass in a school that is hell.

I also find that the schools that are ranked worse as far as testing goes have kids that know it and they play into those stereotypes. I’ve had classes where 20 kids walk out and I have no seating chart so I can’t tell who is who. Security wouldn’t come for a few hours anyway because they are so backed up.Some of these kids are really great, but it’s not worth the rest of the headache.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

SergeBlerge

Old 10-27-2019, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Bad and overly convoluted dismissal procedures are the worst when it comes to elementary schools. There really is no need sometimes to make them that way. I also can't stand rude or fake secretaries. Bad kids at also a factor. Or schools that are FAR too lenient on cell phone policies. A high school I subbed in a couple of times I never went back to due to their annoyingly lenient cell phone policy which allowed kids to just BE on their phones in the middle of class. I was stunned.

SergeBlerge is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 10-28-2019, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

top 5:

1. No lesson plans, confusing plans, or plans that are a few vague sentences. I understand it's difficult to type up last minute plans while sick with the flu, but at least let me know more than "Have students use chrome books. Study hall later." And I don't need a novel, just a general idea of what normally goes on during the day.

2. Schools that blame US for EVERY behavior, instead of holding the students accountable. I refer to these as "pass the buck schools." This attitude is sadly quite common now.

3. Unhelpful/aloof admin, and micromanaging classroom aides.

4. Schools where students are allowed to run the day and possess more power than teachers. (Rampant coddling, unlimited cell phone use, disrespectful talk to adults tolerated, etc)

"Hey sub dude, our teacher lets us work out in the hallway!" Not on my watch...

5. Schools where there's a lockdown drill every damn time you sub there.

Last edited by subasaurus; 10-28-2019 at 04:03 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 10-28-2019, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I try to avoid writing office referrals and putting students out of class, and do it only when absolutely necessary. There are schools where this is a normal part of the day. I'm too old for this nonsense, and put these schools on my never-again list.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

My list
Old 10-28-2019, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

1. Rude, disrespectful students
2. Being switched around
3. No bathroom access
4. Block schedule
5. No lesson plans or crazy lesson plans

I started subbing making myself available to 17 schools,
I now make myself available to 8-9 schools.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zulbi

Old 10-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
No bathroom access
OMG.. NO WAY! That's just awful

Suivre

Never again
Old 10-28-2019, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Not being paid on time. Trust me. I'll never darken your door again.

Suivre is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@zulbi
Old 10-28-2019, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yep, I've subbed at few schools where they lock staff bathrooms and you have to get a key from the office if you need to pee.

Not an ideal set up.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 10-28-2019, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

No key to staff bathroom. Having to use the boys' br out of desperation and being really uncomfortable in there.
Being made to cover all 3 noisy lunch periods - yes, that's happened.
Crappy lesson plans - or better yet, no plans because the teacher didn't have 10 minutes to spare!
Being switched to another subject I have no interest in - no reason given.
Schools like Fort Knox - waiting in the cold for front door to open, then it's another wait at the office door just to get in. Having to wait while I'm "buzzed" into the main school area. Christ! Just give me a swipe card. I'm not a criminal.
Kids sent to principal who are sent back 5 minutes later with a smirk on their face.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Zulbi

Old 10-28-2019, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
Yep, I've subbed at few schools where they lock staff bathrooms and you have to get a key from the office if you need to pee.

Not an ideal set up.
That's just crazy

SubMan

Old 10-29-2019, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
Schools like Fort Knox - waiting in the cold for front door to open, then it's another wait at the office door just to get in. Having to wait while I'm "buzzed" into the main school area. Christ! Just give me a swipe card. I'm not a criminal.
This is why I say schools are resembling prisons. One school I go to you have to be "buzzed" through four doors to enter the school. Not one of four but all four doors. Two to get into the office and two more to get into the school. Then they teach with the doors locked and, you guessed it, subs don't get a key so we have to use the magnetic strip to cover the part on the door where the lock goes.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-29-2019, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Here would be mine.

1. Rude staff; secretaries, teachers, and/or principals.
2. Students who can't seem to behave, not talking one or two but most of the class.
3. Poor or missing lesson plans; too much detail, too little detail.
4. No access to technology. Makes for a long day when the students are used to technology and subs aren't allowed to use it. Chalk board/white board is covered up by a "word wall" and the only space left is the smartboard.
5. Assignment switching; if I wanted that assignment I would have taken it.

It all comes down to if I just don't like the school or district.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Reasons to drop a school
Old 10-29-2019, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

1. Kids with severe emotional/behavioral problems in regular classes without a one-on-one.

2. Excessive assignment switching (more than just an occasional emergency).

3. Too many lunch duties.

Thankfully, the full-time teachers in this area seem to be very welcoming of subs in general. If they weren't, that would definitely be on the list.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

No Go Schools/Teachers
Old 10-29-2019, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Dropped one school because it was the worst school I'd ever been to in my life. Kids assaulting/threatening other kids, right in front of the teacher, and nothing happens? I said "If he threatens him again, I'm calling the office." She took the kid with her. Ridiculously bad behavior. Only school I've worked at that I would not let my kid attend, not even the kid of my worst enemy!

I dropped one school because I sent a student to the office (this was a block schedule school). The kid returned 15 minutes later with food, strutting around with a smile, giving other students french fries.

I dropped schools because I HATE block schedules. I found a school, now, that has a much better schedule.

Schools that take advantage of not paying us for prep periods (and the class is usually a nightmare "study hall").

Excessive "study hall classes." 30 kids with nothing to do is a nightmare. "Work on something" doesn't work well.

Changing what I signed up for. At least give us that respect.

Rude teachers. I had "duty," standing 30 feet from another teacher, who didn't say a word to me the entire time. Now I just do high school so I don't have to worry about "duties," anymore, though.

As far as teachers/classes, I don't do PE (don't have enough control), one class I worry about safety issues while they're drilling, etc., complaining teachers (I walked in when a teacher was going on and on, complaining about the sub before, so I don't sub for her). One teacher I know prefers a different sub, so I don't sub for her, anymore. If I get wind of a teacher complaining about me, I won't sub for them, anymore. They can get a different sub that they like. I don't do anal. Luckily, I'm not desperate for jobs, so I can be somewhat choosy.

Last edited by bodhimom; 10-29-2019 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: forgot something
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 10-29-2019, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Like others, I also give schools multiple chances before I write them off completely. An elementary school wouldn't give me keys both times I worked there on half-days. I don't know what they expected me to do if I got locked out with the kids with me, but they didn't seem to care, and I didn't care to return.

Another one called me for a long term PE subbing gig and made no mention of half the classes being special ed until I was already locked in. This was my second assignment ever, and it was the most stressful three weeks of my life. The coach left like... a sheet of paper with some stretches on it, and the teachers regularly dumped multiple classes on me so that I was supervising 90 kids by myself. Four years later I still haven't returned to that school. Calls from their school spams my inbox every night because nobody else wants to work there either. I wish I could actually block calls from that school from even coming in, since I decline all of them on-sight anyway.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 10-29-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My district that does not pay us to work our prep period results in our working the prep period about 90% of the time at the two high schools.
The prep period we need to cover has become quite predictable. It is boys PE 90% of the time.

No one wants to be outside in 100 degree heat, so the PE jobs are either

A. never accepted, or
B. never even made available.

The school will just assign a different male sub to cover each of the six PE periods. This saves them from needing to even make this job available.

I work at these schools since the students are pretty good, but there methods are still aggravating.

My worst experience was at a high school in 1997, my first year.

I was trying to teach algebra when the classroom, without a single window, went pitch black. This was before technology was common, so I was using the chalkboard.
One of the students had turned off the lights, and textbooks started flying across the room and girls were screaming. Visiblilty was zero, so I could not move. The floor was littered with books when the lights finally went on.

Students would also hang around the door, and security blamed me for not keeping control.

I was not surprised to read the schools percentile ranking on state tests, This school was in the bottom 10% in every category. Needless to say I did not return.

It is too bad that today, I no longer go to my favorite elementary school. This school has about four outside restrooms but no restrooms for men in the lounge. We have to hope that the key for
ONE of the outdoor restrooms is hanging on the wall. It was missing for about two weeks a couple years ago, and I had to get a key from the office manage. Since they say no when I ask for my own key, I no longer take jobs there.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 10-29-2019, 10:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

^ regarding the end of your post

The lack of male restrooms in general is so baffling and probably illegal, but I'm not a lawyer. Virtually every school I work at has this stupid system where the lounge restrooms are divided between women's restrooms and restrooms for men and women, but there's no exclusively male restroom, so every man on staff gets stuck waiting on one stall while women get access to both, and no offense but some of them take ages in there to do their business while a guy on average will just be done in a minute. It's super aggravating how even though the higher grade level schools seem to have equal amounts of men and women, the district still treats male teachers like we're this nonfactor percentage that shouldn't even get consideration in this regard.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 10-30-2019, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

It is frustrating when the women's room has two or three stalls that can be used at once, but all the men's or unisex restrooms have one stall with a lock on it.

Men's rooms should have no lock and a door on the stall, or preferably two stalls.

One school I work at has a multiple stall women's room and a single stall unisex, but most women use the single stall unisex, so we have to wait.

Most unusual was a school I worked at that has since been remodeled, but used to have a unisex with six stalls. The men had one other single stall that was out of the way, and the women had their own multiple stall restroom nearby as well.
What bothered me was when two employees said to make sure I lock the door when I am in there.
It was usually empty, but on both occasions when the door was locked, it was a man who came out.

Why should we have to lock the door if the women can choose their own restroom? Here there are six stalls, and I have to wait for another guy to come out. Very frustrating
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Zulbi

Not fair
Old 10-30-2019, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I did notice majority of schools restroom system are as you described above. Am not ganna lie I do appreciate the choice we have. But, totally not fair,, Though I have seen male teachers that use the women restroom (single person )

Zulbi

Old 10-30-2019, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Quote:
but used to have a unisex with six stalls.

bagano1

Old 10-30-2019, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

The hallway thing depends. Unless I'm instructed not to, I let kids at certain schools do it and other teachers say it's ok. I generally know who's up to something and who wants to study. I have a "When in Rome" attitude and can size up what the norms are.
bagano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

most of the above
Old 11-02-2019, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Although I'd have to say, I can generally tolerate the kids' behavior (I stick to the little ones) and even the nonexistent/ bad lesson plans and restroom inconvenience. But mean, rude, arrogant, unsupportive staff will drive me away every time.

OH...and that includes bait and switching vastly different grade levels. If I sign up for kinder, don't wait till I arrive and then try to switch me to 6th graders (because you probably gave the kinder to your fav sub)! (I know one school that did it routinely. I stopped taking jobs there.)

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 11-02-2019 at 08:21 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

I agree with "When in Rome"
Old 11-02-2019, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I try to do the "when in Rome" thing, also. I have probably been duped a few times, but I THINK I can usually tell if something a student says makes sense (or not!). Our students are pretty good. If something is a little fishy, I might ask the next door teacher, after school, and see what they say (for next time).

bodhimom

Bathrooms
Old 11-02-2019, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

We don't have the bathroom issue at my school, but if a bathroom is a one-stall bathroom, why would it be male OR female? Doesn't make sense. Ours just say "Staff Only."

SubHuman

Old 11-02-2019, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I was baited and switched!!! I signed up as a PE class sub and I expected to be in the gym playing basketball all day (dressed accordingly), but when I showed up at the gym the PE teacher directed me to the interior windowless classroom packed with 30+ kids taking a health class. (It's health/PE, the kids rotate) I was a little disappointed, but no big deal. Better luck next time. (BTW, kids were incredibly well behaved, working quietly on their laptops)

Restrooms? We have single occupancy unmarked teacher bathrooms, but you need a key, so I have to ask a teacher to let me in. Knock before entering. So far has not been a problem. Some of the student restrooms are labeled "men" so I will use that one if convenient. This is the High School.
SubHuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

subbing
Old 11-09-2019, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

1. School culture. While I don't spend enough time to really get to know each campus, I pay attention to how - or if - I'm greeted and spoken to.
2. How organized the office is when I arrive and leave. Sometimes the staff isn't ready for subs and make the check- n and check out process a real ordeal.
3. How the kids behave and interact with me.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Wordserstill6

Wordserstill6

What makes us not go back
Old 11-10-2019, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I am now down to 2 schools. So sad that students are so out of control.