Help

First Grade

Suggestions for setting up room

>

cla1stgrteach

Suggestions for setting up room
Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is not my first year teaching. However, this is my first time in first grade and the first time I have started at the beginning of the year. I have previously taught prek and 2nd. Each of those times I took over from another teacher a couple weeks into school. By that point the room was already set up and the school year was under way.

My question is when you get into your classroom for the first time to start setting up, where do you start and how to you go about setting up an empty and plain room?

This morning I went in and set up my work area. I organized the drawers in my desk (for now), moved my desk and file cabinet to the places I wanted them, and set up the area around my desk. I also hung some window treatments. Other than that I went through my cabinet and sort of looked through what was left and organized it a little but not they way I will eventually have it.

If you have any suggestions I would love to here them.

cla1stgrteach is offline   Reply With Quote

sonjateacher

Setting up a new room
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For me the first thing I do is decide on the whole-group meeting area. Once that has been decided, everything else gets arranged around it. I try to keep in mind the flow throughout the room so that there is enough room for the class to line-up without too much bother, and so that there are quiet (but not hidden) nooks for reading.

I personally like to have the whole group meeting area in a corner so that I can see the door (and the kids can't!) and so that I am next to shelves for storing things I need for lessons.

Another thing to keep in mind is when you are moving the tables/desks around that there needs to be enough room behind each desk/table for the chair and a student. At first I would forget that and put them too close together!
sonjateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

scarf_and_mit

must dos, want to dos, fill it in
Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First, place your things that MUST go in certain places. Like, the computers have to go wherever the internet line drops. The teacher computer must go where the projector hookup is. And I think the whole group meeting area must go wherever your main teaching board/projector/whatever-you-use-a-whole-bunch-thingie is.
After that, create a list of areas you want to "create" - I want to have a library in the corner, for example, or a guided reading group table near a bookcase, etc. Set up those areas where you can, and just fill in the holes.
And yes, like a PP mentioned, pay attention to the flow of your room, and make sure there is enough room for the kids to move their chairs back from their desks. I usually end up putting mine too close together!
scarf_and_mit is offline   Reply With Quote

Seldee

Check out The Cornerstone
Old 07-17-2012, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is a really good site with ideas for setting up a classroom plus pics of teacher classrooms. Also try Scholastic. They have articles with ideas for setting up the classroom plus an app that lets you virtually set up your room.
Seldee is offline   Reply With Quote

cla1stgrteach

Thanks
Old 07-19-2012, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am getting ready to head in now to do some more work in my room. I can't believe it is nearly the end of July already. This summer has flown by so quickly.

cla1stgrteach is offline   Reply With Quote