Help

Classroom Management

Behavior Bingo

>

bookworm472

Behavior Bingo
Old 08-15-2015, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year I changed my behavior management system in my third grade class from a clip chart (I was sick of the focus on negative behaviors when moving clips down) to Behavior Bingo. I made the change in January and I wasn't sure how things would go. Here is the gist...

I have a blank Bingo board on my wall (Bingo across the top and 20 rows). The middle spot is a "Whole Class Reward", but the rest are blank. Each day, I track student behaviors with tallies. Every time a student needs a redirection they get a tally. I don't say anything aloud and don't call attention to the students that receive tallies. Then at the end of the day, each student who did not receive any tallies gets to put their name on the Bingo board. Of course, there are exceptions to this for students with behavior plans. They can also earn Bingo spots with our pencil challenge, Random Acts of Kindness, outstanding behavior, etc. Then after 2 weeks, I pull 5 spots at random. I have popsicle sticks that have the letters and some that have the numbers. If I pull a spot with no name, I pull again. The students earn coupons for homework passes, sit with a friend, special chair, lunch with the teacher, etc. This way I am not buying prizes all the time.

This really changed the behavior in my class last year. I went from 5 out of 24 students consistently completing their homework to 20 out of 24 since not being prepared for class (missing homework, pencil, agenda) resulted in a tally. I had fewer and fewer behavior problems from yelling out to name calling and even decreases in tattling. The tally sheet traveled with them to all their specials and all the teachers knew what was at stake. Most of our 1st and 2nd grade classes use clip charts, so this is a nice change by 3rd grade. It also showcases the students that are making the right choices. Even my toughest students last year were up on the board at least once per round.

I can't wait to use this from the start of the school year this year!

bookworm472 is offline   Reply With Quote

kjsmom

Classroom Bingo
Old 08-16-2015, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used something similar last year. More as a reinforcement for those who were exhibiting the correct behavior. " Johnny, you lined up quickly and quietly. You may sign the Bingo chart." When the chart was filled up, I drew 4-5 spots and the names that were signed in those spaces received a reward. I have several coupons that kids can choose from. My chart had 50 spaces. Bingo across the top and 1-10 down the side. At the beginning of the year it filled up quickly, because I wanted the students to get in the habit of using correct behaviors early. Then I was able to ease up later. I like your idea of signing the chart for those who return homework on time. That was a big issue for me last year.
kjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Davidah

Positive Behavior Reinforcement
Old 08-21-2015, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the focus on positive behavior. I'm excited to try this idea and keep the same title (Classroom Bingo). Please clarify what you mean by 1-10 down the side. Where did you post this behavior management idea? When did you allow kids to sign their names on the Bingo sheet? It could become very distracting having kiddos getting out of their seat to sign their name.

Davidah
Davidah is offline   Reply With Quote

Neicey1

Class Dojo
Old 10-23-2015, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi,
I have found Class Dojo effective. I teach fourth grade and I love the immediate real time information that is shared with parents. There is a new feature that allows you to post pictures now, too.
Neicey1 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookworm472

Morning
Old 10-26-2015, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Instead of numbers in the boxes, I just set it up like a grid with the letters on top and numbers on the side. I have my Bingo board posted on a small bulletin board. As part of my morning message, I announce who has earned Bingo and the students write their names up as part of the morning routine. Once in a while, I will recognize a student during class and they write their name on the board.

bookworm472 is offline   Reply With Quote