Help

Substitute Teachers

Mandated Child Abuse Reporter Training

>

Sweetsunset

Mandated Child Abuse Reporter Training
Old 07-06-2020, 01:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In Cali, we have to pass the Mandated Child Abuse Reporter Training. In both of my districts, subs are blocked from accepting assignments until we pass this online training. All certificated and classified staff have to pass MCAR training before they set foot on campus at the start of the school year, at least in the two districts I work for. We should be receiving the link to our online training this week, I usually get it done immediately bcz I want that clearance from the district.

Which leads me to wonder...

...when does your school district have this requirement set for you to pass? Do you have any other additional training to pass per district requirement?

Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

We have a month
Old 07-06-2020, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our schools are scheduled to resume August 3 (balanced calendar). We have until September 1 to complete them-- although last year staff got "friendly reminders" and a little grace period if they weren't done.

Our list is long: bloodborne pathogens, seizures, bullying, diversity, sexual harassment, human trafficking, child abuse, cybersecurity, FERPA, Corona virus, and something called Internal Controls.

This adds up to about 5 hours of videos/quizzes to complete, with no compensation for doing so. Last year I was in a long-term position at that time, and I worked on it during prep times-- usually letting the video play in the background while I did other things.

I do not believe it is legal to require unpaid training, and, on principle, I am not starting them until school starts.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 07-06-2020, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mandated Reporter, Blood born Pathogen and new this year Covid. We have til September 1. They have not released the videos yet.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Districts
Old 07-06-2020, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One of my districts has a training video/quiz list that runs about 8 hours long and I will not begin taking those courses online until I am sure Iím gonna be able to go back to work and that jobs are available. I cannot wear a mask for all those hours each day and some of my schools are not air-conditioned and/or I have no control of the horrible Air Conditioning that does exist. My other districts require 1 to 2 hours of training. If I can wear a face shield,I will most likely go back to work, I still have to assess the risk. if I canít wear the shield then sadly I guess I canít work until I can get a vaccine. As it is I have to pay $100 to renew my teaching credential.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 07-06-2020, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I will likely need to wait until a vaccine is available as well.

My dad just died and I have an 87 year old mom at home. We have no other close family as neither my sister nor I had children.

I need to protect my Mom at all costs.

Each district does require a minimum of ten days worked per year to stay on the sub list, so I hope If I do not get these 10 days in, or 30 days total for all districts, I can convince them to keep me on the list under the circumstances for the 2021-2022 school year.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

northcalsub

to YAYA
Old 07-06-2020, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What is FERPA?
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 07-06-2020, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I was a teacher, we didn't get anything extra for that kind of thing, either. It was considered part of the job. Only if we covered classes during our prep, and most of us didn't charge for it.

Just wanted to clarify for those that might assume that teachers get paid extra for it. Of course, it is easier to let it go when you're making decent money.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Ferpa
Old 07-06-2020, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This may only apply to my state. It covers confidentiality of student grades, records, and other private information.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 07-06-2020, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
northcalsub's Message:
What is FERPA?
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 07-07-2020, 02:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you for posting, after reading your responses I feel cheated. In a positive way, it's great that your districts includes you in other extensive training courses- because the big message (for me at least) is that YOU MATTER, YOU are part of your districts' TEAM, and if we look at it that way without digging in deeper and just focusing on the positive side- that improves the moral of you as a sub, in that your district invests in your training.

For years, we (district subs) haven't convinced our district to train us in Blood Borne Pathogens, much less the Active Shooter/Assailant on Campus /Intruder Response Training. And we should be trained in FERPA as well.

I've experienced several all level lock-downs in my districts. Fortunately, our high schooler's do cooperate. They really look out for that adult in the classroom. They know what to do, but they still seek that sense of security and direction (turn off the light and sit on the floor- away from sight, etc). I guess there's no better training like going through the real deal. I think as teachers/sub teachers we learn to develop a kind of -keen sense of situational awareness training of our own, all sight, hearing and smell of everything around us in the classroom.

Like I said, thank you for sharing, I believe it helps us all to be kept abreast anything concerning subs and schools.

bodhimom

Old 07-07-2020, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't mind the online trainings, because I like to learn, but if we are supposed to be paid for that time, than we should be.

I had never even thought of getting paid for those things until being on this list.

I do like being on the same page, and knowing what the teachers know, as much as I can be. Especially for things like active shooter. It makes me feel more confident.

Sun - thanks for the positive spin on this. It is true, but hard to see, sometimes, the positive in something.

jakeh

Old 07-07-2020, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
Sweetsunset's Message:
In Cali, we have to pass the Mandated Child Abuse Reporter Training. In both of my districts, subs are blocked from accepting assignments until we pass this online training. All certificated and classified staff have to pass MCAR training before they set foot on campus at the start of the school year, at least in the two districts I work for.
I'm also in Cali and have no such training required for my district in Central Cali. No notice of such training required for the 5 districts in my area. Why so localized?

Sweetsunset

Old 07-07-2020, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I'm also in Cali and have no such training required for my district in Central Cali. No notice of such training required for the 5 districts in my area. Why so localized?
Jakeh, that is very interesting. Could it be that your district and all other 5 districts in Central Cali offer an alternative method to satisfy the Mandated Child Abuse Reporter Training? Sometimes skl districts do a great job in keeping internal misconducts away from the media (seems like every 2-3 yrs in my districts). It's unfortunate.

Quote:
New Required Training for School Employees

Effective January 1, 2015, Assembly Bill 1432 (D-Gatto) requires all local educational agencies (LEAs) to train all employees each year on what they need to know in order to identify and report suspected cases of child abuse and neglect. “All employees” includes anybody working on the LEA’s behalf, such as teachers, teacher’s aides, classified employees, and any other employees whose duties bring them into direct contact and supervision of students. LEAs must also develop a process to provide proof that employees received training. An online training module has been developed specially for educators and is located at California Child Abuse Mandated Reporter Training https://www.cde.ca.gov/images/icons/externallink.gif . Alternative training methods may be used but, if an LEA uses training other than the online training module, the LEA must report that fact to the CDE and inform the CDE of the training that was used. A form for this purpose is available at Reporting Form for LEAs Who Use Alternative Training For Mandatory Reporting (PDF).

jakeh

Old 07-07-2020, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
Jakeh, that is very interesting. Could it be that your district and all other 5 districts in Central Cali offer an alternative method to satisfy the Mandated Child Abuse Reporter Training?
No. Never even heard of it. Never had a credentialed teacher even mention this training, but, of course, they don't tell me about every training they go to.

Sweetsunset

Old 07-07-2020, 11:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Ok

Sweetsunset

bodhimom
Old 07-07-2020, 11:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

bodhimon,

I just saw your post- so sorry!!
Yes, I agree, knowing what the teachers now, especially knowing what to do in case of an active shooter on campus- helps us feel more confident.

Quote:
Sun - thanks for the positive spin on this. It is true, but hard to see, sometimes, the positive in something.
You are welcome, and thank you as well!!

northcalsub

Old 07-08-2020, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I also have never been given any mandated training. I work in one large district with 25 schools.
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 07-09-2020, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Northcalsub; This is so interesting, I wonder how these school districts are getting away with not complying if it's mandatory, Thanks, good to know.

BadKitty

Old 07-09-2020, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We require mandated reporter training at every & any job that requires working with children. All schools, daycares, etc. It doesn't matter if you're a teacher or a custodian or a cook.
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 07-09-2020, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Badkitty: That's my understanding. Anyone that could come in contact with child under the age of 18 yrs old, disabled person and it also can include the elderly. LEO's, District attorneys, school and district employees, hospital staff, etc. I think only two states haven't passed that law.

Here's a link to all states that have in place mandatory training. https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/manda.pdf

jakeh

Mandated Learning (w/compensation) Cali
Old 07-21-2020, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Got these notifications from a Calif District via email today.

Quote:
[DISTRICT] is working hard to prepare for Distance Learning so we can ensure high quality instruction for every student. In an effort to support you, [DISTRICT] is creating professional development modules for certificated substitute teachers to ensure you are prepared and skilled for teaching and supporting students in this learning model. Certificated substitute teachers will be compensated for these professional development modules.
Quote:
In addition, effective this year, all certificated substitutes are required to complete two mandated trainings: Mandated Reporter and Prevention of Harassment. You will be compensated for both trainings.
So, the questions I have are will sub be doing Distance Learning via computer? If the trainings for for Distance Learning (Abuse and Harassment), what usage will this be for subs for students in Distance Learning.

Also, note the compensation promises. Don't know how much and how.

Have not seen these 'mandated' requirements in previous 21-years of substituting. Question is, why now? Especially at 'distance teaching'? I would venture to guess that if we see Abuse and Harassment via the computer we'll know what to do. That, in my opinion, would be hard to prove.

(I found this over in 'The Vent' and playing modules:

Protip: They can see if you've muted it, or skipped sections, or minimized it. I had an AP mention that to us. the best way is to keep it on a low volume, and just let it play while you do something else. if you have dual monitors at home, do something on the other monitor)

bodhimom

Old 07-22-2020, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I don't want to sub for distance learning, nor have I been asked to. I paid my dues, already. I'm not going to take a bunch of classes for something that is temporary.