Help

The VENT

No more reading and writers workshop

>

cool2read

No more reading and writers workshop
Old 09-26-2014, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so ready to walk. Was told that we have to follow a certain protocol and we are not allowed to do readers and writers workshop. We were handed a schedule and were told to follow it. We are not allowed to get any ideas or do anything off of teachers pay teachers even. No unit of study but were told we would follow engage ny all the way. I've been teaching so many years and resent after my kids have done so well being told that I have to change everything That's not teaching

cool2read is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Workshop model
Old 09-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is so weird! We were told this summer that we are going towards a workshop model. How does one district get one thing from Common Core and another district get something completely different!?
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 09-26-2014, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We were told the opposite, going to readers workshop. And we are not really happy. Funny thing, I know someone in another district that says the state department of ed is going away from readers workshop.

After 30 years, I have learned that there is no right way to teach reading.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

ironic
Old 09-26-2014, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hate r/w workshop. I love the stuff off engage nY.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-26-2014, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Once again, it's "do everything the same way" while we are told "you should be differentiating everything for everyone". They sure know how to blow it out of their butts, don't they?

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

this crap is everywhere....
Old 09-26-2014, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here's what floors me. The Title 'Queen' thinks she can tell me what to do and what to teach (she can't really, but tries to, ) but if that stuff worked with my kids they wouldn't have IEPs for reading.

We are mostly workshop model for primary grades and we are doing common core. Can you close your door and do your thing, or do they watch you like hawks? My principal wouldn't know the difference, but I know many are total micromanagers. So sorry!
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sitamoia

Old 09-26-2014, 11:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My current and last principal have had the attitude that how we get our results is up to us - what works for us and our kids is what we use. We do not have school wide programmes that we MUST use EXACTLY as written, rather we have resources that we use and adapt in ways that work for our schools and demographics - even down to our classroom demographics. We pick and choose what suits us, what works for us and we discard what doesn't. Even nationally introduced programmes such as the Numeracy Project has been tweaked over the years by teachers - some of which has made it into updated Project resources.

The idea of everyone teaching exactly the same thing in exactly the same way would drive me batty - every teacher has a different personality, a different style which gives a child's progress through school variety and adventure. By trying to make everyone do the same thing in the same way where does the spontaneity go? Where does the opportunity to try different ways of explaining go?

Despite the issues in New Zealand education I feel very grateful to be in a school where I have the freedom to teach the way that fits me and not the way that fits the author of a currently trendy programme.
Sitamoia is offline   Reply With Quote

bookworm472

Old 09-27-2014, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There is no right or wrong way to teach reading/writing. I hate when districts say everyone needs to do teach something the same way. Part of teaching is bringing your own unique touch.
bookworm472 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

ouch
Old 09-27-2014, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I detest these stupid mandates and I'm sorry for you.

My little district usually leaves method up to us. I've done RW and WW for many years. Until this year, workshop has never been the "go-to model" but now it is (I'm guessing because our Curriculum Director thinks it addresses CCSS well). People still do what they want and nobody says anything.

Personally, I think the workshop model is a gift from the heavens. I hail Ellin Keene and Nancie Atwell. I have 5th graders who write me notes (just got one yesterday from a very difficult student) about how they never liked writing before but now they do. It's the workshop--power to the writer!

I like the model so much that I've tried to make it work in math, but I've never been successful. Last year I added Language Workshop and love it.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

cool2read

So sad
Old 09-28-2014, 03:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The more I delve into engage ny the more upset I become. My poor poor babies. High poverty kids are really going to develop a love for reading with this mess. I just am heart broken and feel so defeated.

cool2read is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What I hate is that almost everything has to non-fiction...errr....informative text now. Same for writing. No more writer's workshop, now it's compare/contrast, respond to the text, use examples from the text, etc. They have sucked all the joy and fun out of reading and writing. I feel sorry for kids under CC.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Quatro

Workshop
Old 09-29-2014, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Everyone, every subject is to be based on workshop in my district. Are they wanting the students to fail. Why not bring in robots to teach? Oops the might.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote