Remote learning syndrome
Old 09-18-2020, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Me and my colleagues are starting to get:
1. eye strain and headaches
2. stiff neck and shoulders
3. lower back pain
4. sore forearms

I'm calling this RLS©. We need to start taking on some self-care to make sure we are sitting/standing with appropriate posture and use all of those other tips that business people use who look at computers all day.

I'm wondering how many kids are feeling the effects too. That's what really concerns me. Especially those kids without adequate space to learn from to begin with.

Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 09-18-2020, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We were only remote for six weeks (April-May) and it took another month for my back to recover. Teachers just don't normally sit in one spot all day - we're constantly on the move, at least in the early years. I think the staying put was one of the hardest parts of a difficult experience.
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-18-2020, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Starting week 6 of online lessons. The first three weeks were physically exhausting. I had those symptoms. Now I make myself get up and move around, walk the hallway, lap the track if time between meets. I am feeling physically much better. My eyes, however are killing me. I bought those blue light lenses and wore them this weekend. Not much relief. I do think there are some issues with allergies and smoke in the air that are also a factor, but a lot of it is eye strain.i am thinking of taking a lamp in so I can not turn on an overhead light. I don’t know but by the time I come home I feel half blind and have to take my contacts out in order to not dig my eyeballs out of my head!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Rls
Old 09-18-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First, I love the copyright symbol!

Second, when we did remote learning in the spring, I noticed I often had a stiff neck and shoulders and lower back pain! My eyes were also drier than normal from the screen time. My hands and wrists were sore, too.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 09-18-2020, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree that RLS is a real thing. It was difficult be so sedentary last spring.
Quote:
Teachers just don't normally sit in one spot all day - we're constantly on the move
We are in 100% in person in the classroom in our district. Today was the last day of week 4. I have put in over 10,000 steps every day since we started school. My highest day was Wed of this week with 11,500 at 4:00. I would love a remote day.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote